New Volumio Spotify Plugin Open Beta-Testing

I’m having an issue where the control control in Spotify doesn’t sync with Volumio. They’re both working independently. Is it possible to get Spotify connect to directly control the Volumio volume setting?

I’m using a HifiBerry DAC 2 Pro

I have had the same issue for weeks. I uninstall the plugin and reboot. Reinstall plugin, reboot. Same issue.

1 Like

Hey legends, Have an odd issue on a player where it just doesn’t allow you to play a playlist.
I am using Spotify 3.09
The user is a premium user on Spotify.
I select the Playlist and hit Play but the play button does nothing.
If I goto SSH, and check the status, the Status=stop

Is there a way in SSH to run a command to make it play?
Or troubleshoot why it isn’t playing?
As far as I can see, the Spotify user works if I log into the Spotify account on another device.
If I try to play web radio it works, seems to be just with the Spotify plugin.

many thanks

1 Like

I installed latest volumio into raspberry pi 4B 4GRam. I also installed plugin Spotify 3.0.9. I brought spotify premium. However, it plays songs slowly and very often the time bar is basically stopped.
When i was dragging the timeline. It showed Spotify API error Not found.
I tried youtube plugin and it played smoothly.
I have another this setup and installed two years ago. It works great till now.
Anyone can suggest how to solve it

Hi all,
it seems to work again. I played spotify via the smartphone on volumio, since then I can also start spotify directly on volumio and play.

regards
Mike

Good day, all.

Can we get an update on the status of the plugin? Is there anything we can provide to help?

Hope all is well!

2 Likes

Tough crowd.

3 Likes

Hi Guys,
I finally reenabled my Spotify Premium account so I could use it with Volumio and like everyone else spent the afternoon trying to get it to work. Spoiler Alert: It works and only took about 3 hours :upside_down_face:

The magic was logging into my account at spotify.com and logging out all devices. I tried everything as discussed in all of the discussion threads during the last year or so and nothing worked until I logged into my account and clicked the sign out all accounts. After that it worked in 3.0.7 and after uninstalling and installing 3.0.9 it continues to work.

Volumio 3.449
RPPi 3 Model B
HifiBerry DAC Hat knockoff

Plugins:

• Amplifier Switch
  • GPIO Buttons
  • Radio Paradise
  • Spotify

I hope this helps someone else.

On a related note, is there any documentation for these plugins? It would make it much simpler if the installation instructions were centralized with a centralized troubleshooting FAQ.

Cheers,
Andrew

1 Like

Hi all,
I’m on volumio version 3.449 and using a Schiit Bifrost DAC connected through USB.

Spotify connect was previously working from my iPhone and iPad but now they just keep showing connecting and won’t connect. If I trying to spotify connect thought my desktop PC it works fine.

Can anyone help me out?
here is a link to my logs : http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/CtwbWBL.html

2 Likes

Hi @ciel21
What level of Spotify account do you have? Is it a Premium Individual · Premium Student · Premium Duo · Premium Family?

What I’ve found is that if you have anything less that Premium Duo or Premium Family, you will need to log out your desktop in order to get it to work within Volumio. Also if you have two or more Volumio units, if you are listening to Spotify on one Volumio unit and someone elsewhere connects to the same spotify individual account on another unit, the first one will be disconnected when the second one starts playing.

One last thing, I’ve found is that the Spotify plugin will crash and become unresponsive if you’ve been using it, pause and then come back the next day. The fix is to reboot Volumio.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Andrew

Thanks for the help. After a morning of detective work, I isolated it to it being my pi-hole blocking certain sites spotify was trying to access after I updated my pi-hole’s blocklist.

After whitelisting dealer.spotify.com and pixel.spotify.com, my mobile devices can once again work on spotify connect. Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.

2 Likes

the same here, thank you for the amazing job :+1:

My volumio runs on a tinkerboard and volumio itself never seems to cause any problems. However my Spotify appears to ‘disconnect’. This seems to happen when I have not used Spotify for a while (never while its in use). I open VolumeIO, then on the interface, select Spotify (the plug-in) and nothing appears. If I try to use spotify on my phone, spotify is fine but when trying to connect to Volumio, it never connects (but will play on the phone). If I re-boot the Tinkerbaord (Volumio) then both Spotify on my phone and the plugin via the volumio interface work without problems.
Can anyone shed any light, perhaps its some authentication issue. Perhaps my router is blocking something?
Many thanks

Further to my post above. I found how to get the logs and the next time Spotify (I tried to open the UI version) would not work in the UI or via Connect 2, I was able to check the logs and it would seem to be this…

info: Renewing Access Token via Daemon
error: Failed to renew Spotify Access Token

If I disable then enable the plug in, then it works again i.e. without a re-boot of volumio.
Since the dis/enable cycle works, it would not appear to be my computer/phone/network.
I assume the spotify plugins should refresh the token periodically but for some reason don’t?
A dis/enable cycle of the plugin seems to refresh the token

I hope this helps or maybe there is a solution or perhaps its some issue with Spotify?
Thanks to any ‘readers’ of my post!

1 Like

Hey Volumio team, any update on the rewrite?

Thanks!

3 Likes

I want to share some thoughts I have been having regarding this plugin.

First of all, I understand that this is a passion project, and very much appreciate the work that has been done so far.

That being said, a simple message giving us the status of the project would be very helpful to know it is still being worked on and what we should expect. It has been months of us posting here helping each other out with no word from the developers.

Even if the project is halted or dead, it would be nice to know so we can look into other options.

Thanks for the support so far, and I hope to hear from the Dev team soon.

1 Like

Guess they have been busy working on a ChatGPT integration… :crazy_face:

Hi, we have a serious problem to resolve with the Spotify plug-in!
I’m an artist and sometimes I listen also my music with raspberry pi zero but I have noticed that Spotify doesn’t count the streaming made by this plug-in or the new library that you have linked to the plug-in!
With old plug-in and old library everything worked good and Spotify counted all streams.
Now this is a serious problem because if someone listen my music (or every artist songs all over the word) and Spotify doesn’t recognize the streaming he won’t pay the royalty and so is like pirate streaming music! Is better if you check why this streaming problem exist or I need to make a reporting to Spotify to block this system! Please let me know. Thanks

You will get the same answer again, you have to address your issue to the correct people.
Go to the GitHub page for librespot and report the issue GitHub - librespot-org/librespot: Open Source Spotify client library

Or Volumio should use Spotify’s commercial integration for Volumio’s hardware/myvolumio?

https://certomato.spotify.com/

https://developer.spotify.com/documentation/commercial-hardware/onboarding#onboarding-without-a-systems-integrator

Artists are happy, users are happy, Volumio devs are happy… :slight_smile: