Mounting SSD Problems

So I’ve plugged the original HDD back in and it’s all working again in the GUI. This is what lsusb reads out:

and this is what WINSCP is showing too:

Weirdly, connecting the SSD I’ve got gums up the GUI, making it somewhat unresponsive… I thought a reburn of the SD card in the pi would help, but sadly no… So I’m stumped!

best thing you can do now is to supply logs.
Don’t plug in the disks yet.
Do a fresh boot, then plugin the old HDD that works, wait a few minutes and then do a log.
Remove the disk and reboot.
Then plugin the SSD that did not work and do a 2nd log.
Post both of them here.
Howto: Send a log

Edit: I may not comment until later tonight.

thank you.

Here’s the first one with the HDD…

http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/QpUX3Y2.html

I’ll send the SSD one once dinner is done,

thanks again,

Ian

that’s a very big dinner :slight_smile:

Sorry, I ended up very busy last night… will do it this evening!

they just left the sidewalk…

:flushed:where is the package :flushed:

Hi There,

busy life as a teacher sadly! and fell asleep on the couch last night…

Ok, so the old hard drive has now disappeared…

Here’s the log!

http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/vcffOSO.html

sorry and thanks!

Ian

it looks like a broken system…

only differences I see are the MPD errors in the 2nd log

[edited] mpd errors

But isn’t always a fake hwclock, as the pi doesn’t come with a RTC module?

If I look at my own pie’s all of them come back with:

your right about that this one is counting up other one didn’t count up

@ianpaulstone

If you have another SSD, format it with FAT32, connect it to the pi, see if it mounts correctly and Volumio is able to scan it. The only limitation for FAT is the max filesize (4096 MiB), normally never reached by a song.
you most likely need to do this via the powershell to force the disk to FAT32, windows will default select exFAT. (which can’t handle symlinks)

Open powershell in admin mode.
right click on the app and select “Run as administrator”
type format /FS: FAT32 #: (# = the drive letter)

MPD is not starting properly with the SSD is connected, therefore the SSD is not being read at all.
Just a stupid idea: could you make the SSD label slightly different from the HDD? Will probably not make a difference, but it might be worth to test it.

I found a really good deal on a 2TB SSD, so I picked it up.

I already have a smaller SSD as a boot drive, and an HDD for storage. However, it has a sort of bracket to screw the ssd’s down, with a spare slot for a second ssd, and a single HDD tray in a quite awkward spot.

The boot SSD has a little slot where the cable goes down and around to plug into the sata data ports, but the power supply is underneath the second bracket, so the cable can’t fit through. Without that the SSD won’t line up with the screw holes to be attached to the bracket.

So my question is: can I just leave the ssd sitting there on top of the bracket, not screwed down? My case sits on the floor, and I never move it. So… I’d assuming it should be safe to just let it lay there??

if you want any advice it’s helpfull to see what you mean…
and ssd come in many variants so show us and we can help.

I got this,…