Khadas Tone Board

Turncoat :wink:

So please guys, could we restrict ourselves to tone board issues in this thread?
With all respect for anyone’s efforts to warn people, it does not belong here, please post those complaints somewhere else. Better yet, complain to the supplier, that is how you can really contribute.
Any future offtopic will be removed.
Thank you!

I would like to delete my acct but can’t find the switch. If you pls be so kind to let me know pls or directly delete my account?

Tvm.

switched from VolumIO to moodeaudio.org, its perfect!!

:unamused:

I don’t understand, if you need support for myvolumio, write us at info at volumio dot org

you’re right.I decided to buy it in france.costa a little more but I’m quiet.I already a raspberry on the bench with encoder and plugin already installed. on the jack it does not work well and very uneven control. I suppose it’s normal. just get the khadas I try right away. I hope it works. Because the driver they provide is not compatible with rotary encoder.

Can you not use the OS hardware volume control, or a pot on a pre-amp or amp to control the volume?

I have to do a car system. The car amplifiers have no volume. I do not want the preamp. I have to put as few components as possible. then control volume either on the raspberry or on the dac

Hi All,

Do you know if the Khadas Tone Board can be connected directly to the RPi 40 pin connector running Volumio?

Thanks for the help!

Regards from Munich
Adrian

no.solo usb.se look at the documentation and find the right pins you can make the necessary connections with the raspberry.ma not a hat. but it does not make sense because the audio quality is always the same. and then if khadas tone board has no usb connected audio goes to spdif.questo socket and what I read around

@angelo.b is right, you cannot because the RPi 40 pin connector is not compatible with the Khadas Toneboard.
Khadas has usb pins exposed on the 40-pin connector for the VIM/VIM2 boards.
RPi does not have those…

1 Like

Would it work if we only connect the applicable pins with single 1-to-1 cables (i.e. make an adapter)?

My point: a lot of reviews see the Khadas Tone Board in the same quality range with the Katana. So why not using the Khadas Tone Board as a HAT instead of the Katana?

• it has a pin connector able to manage I2S signals since it already works with another SBCs
  • it needs 5V which can be provided by the RPi
  • the RPi board is able to send the I2S signals over its own pin connectors.
  • is costs only 100 EUR having almost the same THD and the same DAC chip. This is a very interesting aspect, especially for Volumio users not being able to hear the acoustic differences of the technically much more advanced Katana. Not everybody can notice the differences between a good red wine bottle for 25 EUR and the one for 100 EUR.

Regards,
Adrian

I have not received the card yet. but I think it can be done. But it does not make sense because it does not improve the quality of the sound.

You are right, it does not improve the quality, but you get a single box, single power supply solution.
With 200€ you get a very good player.

I really don’t believe in the multi PSU devices: single in - single out

I am very curious how does it the differences between Allo Boss and the Tone Board are so clear. If you have detected differences please give us details regarding the rest of the audio stack (amp and loudspeakers).

Since the Khadas Tone Board costs almost as much as the Piano 2.1 + Kali, has anybody made any comparison?

Regards
Adrian

It might be a stupide comment, but is it not easier to install Volumio on a VIM2, and use the excellent Khadas with the VIM?

Dominique

Well the TB is not an I2S DAC, it is USB only!
This means you need to get 5VCC, GND, DATA + and DATA - from somewhere and afaik you won’t find that on the 40-pin RPi connector.

Theoretically yes (and I don’t mean the “stupid comment” bit :mrgreen: ), but Khadas VIM and Khadas TB do not work well with the current Volumio for VIM images.
This is a kernel issue with USB and has been reported, but balbes150 has not been able to follow it up so far.

Hello, I’m also wondering if it possible to connect TB to Rasp Pi via I2S
And I found that the TB isn’t a USB only DAC.
It can support I2S input as this
forum.khadas.com/t/i2s-input-options/2948

Yes you are correct, it should be possible with an adapter inbetween

arrived the card sounds good only on 192k at most.I do not do resempling plays dsd with distortion.
help