Khadas Tone Board

I did a lot of tests. Formed flac sounds good up to resempling 384 khz. Formed dsd native distortion and sounds good only up to resempling 352.8 khz.mi seems like a limitation .from what can it depend?

audiophilestyle.com/forums/topi … ent-931548

switched from VolumIO to moodeaudio.org, its perfect!!

Hi, may I ask the user Berry what settings he used to play music upsampled to 768 khz - 32 bit. I have asked on the khadas tone board forum why I can not play music at that resolution without severe distortion. So far they claim the tone board only supports 384 khz sample rate. I suspekt that is not true but somehow got broken with the new firmware, my version is v6.F2. Can you confirm this or am I just speculating.

Hi. I got the tone board yesterday. I’m only having problems with it as I posted at the khadas forum: forum.khadas.com/t/hardware-vol … ?u=koozoop

Even with no mixer volume I have very-very low volume output. Firmware is 6f2.

UPDATE: forum.khadas.com/t/hardware-vol … ?u=koozoop

I had to fresh install Volumio 2.555. Maybe something broke up after updating to 2.555 from previous version.

I tested with spdif input.
with resampling at 192 k sounds better than with usb. they are much cleaner. besides the brutefir plugin works great. according to me the raspberry is a bit limited. better i2s for it.

have updated the firmware. now it works great even with usb.
and brutefir no longer creates noise.

I am devoting many hours to this card because it is fascinating. I could see that in spdif the sound is more detailed and crystal clear than usb. listening in headphones for the moment. It would be nice to be able to make it work with i2s.I looked for a little interface i2s on raspberry but I’m not sure to try.
anyone succeeded

…then any other opinion about sound quality of this dac ?
When it use spdif, how it take power ?

I just got the Tone Board generic version this week and I have to say it completely blows away the Allo Boss DAC (original version) that I was using for the past year.
For my system and room at least the Boss had way too much bass, so I think the biggest improvement is just having a more balanced sound.

I would definitely recommend it to anybody looking for a good priced DAC and I was happy to see that Digi-Key now stocks them in Canada and the USA. Now I just need to find or make a case for the board…

I see that Khadas now lists Volumio as one of their new distributors so I suspect we’ll hear something soon here too.

on the 40 pin gpio .mi connector it looks like pin 1 and pin 5. check the diagram you find at the beginning of the post

Hi,
What about Volumio on Usbridge from Allo and KTB?
Is Khadas Tone Board compatible? Does hardware volume control work?

Thanks

1 Like

I’m curious about this too. My understanding is that the XMOS controller on the tone board takes care of everything being fed into the DAC chip so if that’s true it wouldn’t make a difference using usbridge. Anybody own both devices and compare the two setups?

Where did you find it for 70€??
Now on khadas website the price is 99$. On AliExpress its about 93€.

sorry I had just abandoned. then I decided to buy the board in france. probably 70 euro was used. just wanted to say for those who had doubts that connected to the Raspberry 4 with heatsinks and it has been playing for several hours in a sublime way. compared to the katana on the voices and more full-bodied and powerful, and much more extended bass. there is no detail that makes the difference but you have to work hard to hear it.

Hi, which case fits the RPi 4 with this as HAT? Or are you using it as external with its own enclosure?

Thanks

Hello. I use this USB-Y-splitter, and external power supply, with two exit, one to raspberry and one for khadas

https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/cables-usb-hubs/cable-separateur-jack-dc-55-21mm-femelle-vers-usb-c-male-femelle-pour-alimentation-et-donnees-20cm-p-14052.html

In this connection, khadas take power direct from power supply.

But at first boot, sounds have high noise.
To resolve, I must manually disconnect and reconnect power for khadas, then sounds is good

Why?

has someone got i2s out of the raspberry pi to the khadas tone board already done or is this not going to work?

Not the way I would do it, just connect the Tone board via usb and you should be ok.

okay, the only thing I would like to do is solder the 5 volts (external linear power supply) and data from the usb to the gpio pins, this is because I do not want to feed it from the outside (usb c), then it should can according to the link below?