Khadas Tone Board

@Berry: as for the update, don’t worry, I’m pleased with your hint!

sorry @gkkpch, my mistake, I just corrected.

Hello all,
after reading your posts about the tone board i immediately bought one (generic edition).
It replaces now the Chord Mojo in my stereo since it modifies the mids and highs in a very pleasant way. I have to admit my amplifier Cambridge Audio CXA80 is sounding very bright.
Greetings from Munich

@all,
please wait with updating the Tone Board firmware until Khadas has released an final version AND an update guide to go with it.

Indeed, there is a big potential risk that you will brick your Tone Board with the firmware solution re/ HW volume control they provided. They are working on another one, hopefully more elaborated than the last one.

Michelangelo,
Have you had a chance to test the tone board yet? Interested to hear how it compares to Katana. :slight_smile:

hi i need to get which version of kahadas tone board for raspberry pi3 b + and can I install and run directly like allo boss

thanks

1 Like

It’s not a HAT DAC, so you don’t mount it on the RPi. You connect it via the USB cable.
You need the Generic version.

1 Like

I’m using English translate Google to do the tone board power rpi gpio from the signal is taking usb output from this way 32/784 khz so full-capacity working with volumio can I use with thanks

1 Like

Now I use Khadas Tone Board with Allo DigiOne, Thats good combination.

jbajci.rajce.idnes.cz/Khadas/#A … eBoard.jpg

So PI --> DigiOne --> Tone Board (via Coax) --> Amp, right?
Worth testing…

This does limit you to 192Khz where you could have PI --> Tone Board (via USB) --> Amp,
offering PCM up to 768KHz @ 32bit and DSD up to DSD256 @ 1bit

i play most music from Tidal in native resolution

I tested this by USB with Volumio upsampling 768KHz @ 32bit into the Khadas Board and it works awesome with no interrupts, beautiful sound indeed. I use also an iFi iDSD non-BL and specially for classical music I tend to prefer this DAC over the Khadas DAC.

So to hook this board up to the pi you just use a USB plug-C?

Is there a case for this board yet?

have successfully upgraded the firmware using this link:
Upgrade Khadas Toneboard Firmware
This makes it also very usable with a headphone (without volume control it way too load)).

Appears to work great with Volumio!

@htgear
Yes, the usb-c cable (comes with the board) is all you need.
There was an earlier post here about a case (see page 2).
I have used the suggestion and added a power led.

TB-case.JPG

Doesn’t show where you guys bought the case? Any link or was it custom bought/made?

Want that case too!!

And it does by definition NOT affect the SQ, right?

Nope, it is hardware volume control, no shady software solution.

As for the case, I bought it from German online electronics shop reichelt.de.
Like Dominique wrote, you need to order the following parts.
1 x article no. DPL 1-1
2 x article no. KOH-1100
and drill/ file the holes.

There are more descrptions on the net, just search for Khadas Toneboard and DIY case.
This is a good example

You can also buy a ready-to-use aluminium case for around 15 EUR at Audiophonics.
audiophonics.fr/en/aluminiu … 13626.html

Also the board itself seems to be less expensive than on Amazon (DE):
audiophonics.fr/en/diy-dac/ … 13062.html

Regards
Adrian