Katana Dac by allo

Hi All,

Have you compared the Katana against the Terraberry DAC2+ and Orchard Audio?

Best regards
Adrian

Hi

Our Katanas units are on the way , I don’t think that anyone has received them.

I think that all DACs below are good solutions, it comes down to architecture .

Our architecture is “Master Dac” so no jitter whatsoever and no dPLL , analog stage made with discreete opamps in class A amplification instead of monolithics .

Michelangelo has a unit on the way, I am sure he will share his thoughts soon.

Hi,
I have a Kali+Piano configuration and I am very satisfied with it.
The sound is so much better than the built-in DAC of my Onkyo AV receiver or the IQ Audio DAC+ even on loudspeakers which are not high end.

Regarding the architecture, do you have some recommendations? At the end of the day the decisive part is the weakest component in the system and this is in most cases the loudspeaker and the listening room.

I am sure that Katana is a very good DAC and I wanted to know “how good”.

Best regards
Adrian

Ok let me think a moment… “how good”

Simple answer.

“Very good.”

Much better than Boss or Kali + Piano. On par to very expensive systems costing 1k or more (Dac)

Your speakers are the weakest link , but Katana will sound better on any system (better than Boss or Kali + HAT)

I am living with it and writing my listening impressions as we speak…

First thing that comes to my mind is: resolution (it’s the first time I’ve ever thought of this word when listening to a DAC)

stay tuned…

Any update on the compatible isolator - trying to decide if I should wait and buy both together and whether I’ll be waiting say 3-6months?

according to allo… within the week we may expect the new isolator… it may be priced <$50

Glad to hear it. Just an observation , 1 day listening will be different that second and by third day you should hear almost how good it sounds. For me Katana stopped improving after about 1 week.

Still after 3 days you will have a very good idea of what Katana is capable of.

I have couple technical matters? I’m building intgrated amp with rpi+dac+external spdif+volume control+power amp with hypex modules.

Is volume control in Katana enough good or can something reach by relay attenuator?

1. It seems that there is no spdif input for external sources. Is it possible to feed another sources than volumio/rpi thru I2S pins? It requires selector in I2S pins.

Just waiting some reviews to make my decision to order Katana. Currently running with BOSS and Yamaha A/V amp.

HI, I just received my Katana. There is no Katana yet as an output device in Volumio so nothing work (yet?) Is there a driver available or do I need to wait for a Volumio update?

Volumio has a beta release here with Katana updates.volumio.org/pi/volumio/2 … pi.img.zip

Burn in the unit for 2 days before listening…

1. Ess Sabre volume controller is as good as a analog volume controller. They use some type of math , upsampling and basically losing no SNR.

2. Only i2s input. Master dac means source has to accept clock.

No need to dowload the beta release, latest version is fully working with Katana

So does it mean that we cannot use the Mezzanine on Katana since the latter draws up to 0.7A?

Katana stack can be powered in many ways, if you have 0.7A from below , I would use another PSU on the micro controller

Michelangelo has reviewed the Katana

volumio.org/allo-katana-dac-review/

A few questions: How do you change the filters, via the gui or on the hardware itself? Michelangelo indicated that the micro controller powers down the opamps when the system is idle, is that true or do you have to use the switch on the controller board as indicated in the manual?

The FIR controls are integrated in Volumio UI, available in Playback Options

hello to all,
is there a recommendation which power supplies you can use for the Allo Katana and where you could order this?

thanks
Bernd

Dear guys,

I have an IQ audio DAC pro.

I was considering an upgrade since I believe my amp and speakers could use more detail. This dac is pretty musical but lacks some detail. When I use my portable dragonfly on the PI I get a bit more resolution than the IQ Audio.

Read MichaelAngelo s review and since I cannot program nor understand many of the technical details metioned I am a bit skeptical on ordering this DAC.

What do you think?

Enviado do meu SM-A320FL através do Tapatalk