Katana Dac by allo

Can the Allo Isolator be used for this Dac? Any improvement with Isolator?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

When I will use 2 power supply. One for raspberry pi second for katana. Must both be working all time? I think about power saving. When a raspberry pi works 24/7 but I listen music 2 hours per day.

Hi All,

I really agree, that using separate power supplies could improve the quality.
Nevertheless, I personally consider such a solution rather unpractical: I prefer a single power switch for the entire construction.

For my current Allo stack (RPi2+Kali+Piano 2.1) I use a 5V power supply from Audiophonics. It costs around 100 EUR. From the quality point of view, it is situated between a good switching power supply (iFi, around 50€) and a real high end power supply (SBooster, around 300-400€).

Additionally, I use a ferrite ring at the end of the 5V power cord to filter (hopefully) the EMI. I hope it has an effect. If you have any other ideas, please do not hesitate to tell me - I am willing to try any technical solution.
If you think that the ferrite ring is not the proper solution, I am thankful for any hint.

Even if the Raspberry Pi solutions are not 100% tinker-free, I strive to finding user-friendly solutions in order to increase the acceptance among my family - like most of the users here, I do not have a “man cave” to enjoy all the gadgets at full tinker potential.
Therefore I try to use only one power supply for all my constructions.

On an Chinese online shopping platform (I don’t know if it is allowed to say the name) I have seen power supplies with dual power outputs. Maybe this could be a solution, especially if a DAC and an amplifier need to be powered.

Best regards
Adrian

RPI will be idle (so power consumption is very low around 1W) and Katana has a switch that can be used to turn it off.

THD+N does not seem to change. Still people (and I) report a SQ improvement

Is 5v1A okay for Katana stack? Yes

And 5v2.5A for RPi?
[/quote]
Yes but 3A is better

See you launched today congratulations.

Also see a new isolator is coming? How far behind the katana is it? I’d like to order all together :slight_smile:

@allo

Please have patience. I will update soon

I cannot order it as of now. I think allo engineers is finetuning something? there maybe delays in shipping…

For all of you which are interested in the brand spaking new Allo Katana, a gentle reminder that it will be also available on Volumio Shop.
So, if you’re using Volumio, and you love it, getting the Katana from our shop is a way of supporting the project.
We are in close contact with Allo to make the Katana 100% compatible with Volumio, and as soon as we do it we will release a version which supports it.
Shipping times will not change if ordering from Allo or Volumio.

And last but not least… For those who will buy the Katana from our Shop we will include a very nice surprise with it :wink:

Please think about some neat case for the entire device.

I think that some well-built connection cables (RCA, etc) as well as other accessories would complete a stress-free package.

Does anybody know why the warranty for the Allo products only 1 year is?

Not in the EU, think they are two years by law…

Katana firmware was fixed and tested. We expect to start shipping from Wednesday/Thursday.

New Katana on the way to Michelangelo . (with fixed firmware)

Production is very slow since we need to manually trim the DC offset and then program it individually (variations on the components make each board unique).

Hi ioan!, I am very satisfied with my dac hum based on the Chip Philips TDA1541A (MORE THAN 2500 EUROS IN PIECES). I’ve never heard anything like it, but he knows that I’m one of Allo’s biggest fans, and with every comment I’m more eager to hear him.

The appearance is extraordinary, and the choice of design seems extraordinary. I’m sure many people will find it expensive. A very serious error, with rapsberry pi, i2s, and volumio you get much better results than big audio brands that will ask you for $ 3000 for a nicer device, but that sounds worse.

Congratulations!

TDA1541 IC is legendary… but of course depends on output stage and clean power

Anyway Katana is good. Real good. More than that.

At 250$ it will blow you away. I remember you said “hifi revolution for a new generation”. No crazy prices for truly outstanding sound.

Katana is exactly that…HIFI sound at 250$…

Dying to try that, already ordered mine :wink:

So today is the day, Katana DAC finally shipping + Volumio release to support it.

To celebrate we’ve decided to make a gift to all our customers:
by gettting the Katana DAC on Volumio shop, you’ll receive a coupon for 4 months of MyVolumio for free.

As you know, we put lot of effort in developing Volumio, and purchasing trough our Shop gives us a great support.
So thanks to everybody who purchases the Katana via Volumio Shop for the support!

The cool thing about getting the MyVolumio gift is that you can try Qobuz free for 30 days with it, so you can listen in Hi Res Streaming to get the best out of Volumio and Katana.

Katana:
volumio.org/product/allo-katana/
Katana player:
volumio.org/product/allo-katana-player/