Italian Tube Radio from 1933 turbo-charged with Volumio

Thanks to Volumio, parental leave and Covid lockdown I had time to turn an old tube radio from 1933 made by Italian company UNDA of type MU51 into a modern web radio, that my wife and kids finally love to use (except for the rather long boot up time, due to a real power down function).
The sound is very nice and clean and the wooden housing harmonizes very nicely with the new speaker.

The project took more than 5 years from buying the Radio in 2015 to getting the final hardware to run (end 2020). Long pauses due to personal circumstances slowed it down significantly - but it works since late 2020 now.
I am slowly turning the dirty code into real plugins, will share what I can finish.

Img 1: This is how it looks today

Img 2/3: This is how it looked in 2015

Img 4: The inner construction of the chassis, carrying speaker, buttons, RPi and PCB. The old speaker was completely degraded and replaced by a VISATONE VIS FR 6.5 wide-band speaker (hard to find such a large speaker that is not a bass).
The 7-segment display got later replaced by an EA-DOGS102 LCD. So far only two rotaries are in use (volume and change channel). The grid style PCB replaced by real PCBs.

Img 5: Test setup for the LCD, late 2020

Img 6: The PCB midway through the soldering process. Made with KiCAD. Contains power logic with ATTiny inspired by iSwitchPi, debouncing of Rotaries, amplifier TDA7396, Power Supply.

2 Likes

Hi Thomas,

that‘s looking fantastic. I‘m looking forward to more infos :slight_smile:

br
Josef

Nice work, keep it up!