Issues with Volumio 3 finding all files on USB HDD

My situation is a bit different from that of botrytis. In my case, I am not trying to import USB disk contents into Volumio, but instead I am reading the metadata for content stored on a local UPnP server, to be accessed by Volumio. It’s a Plex server with about 2700 music artists stored on it, and the server appears under the “Media Servers” tile in Volumio’s interface. Plex determines the data views that it provides to Volumio, and in this case it’s path Music/Music/All Artists.

I am hoping for Volumio to list all 2700 artists, but it never does… Rather, it gets to the starting-H’s and that’s all. Volumio behaves correctly with this subset of artists, meaning that I can indeed select and play any asset with an artist name in [A…Ha*]. But no further.

I tried the fix mentioned earlier in this post: quadrupled the value of max_output_buffer_size in the template file, rebooted twice, and verified that the same new value was then migrated into /etc/mpd.conf. Sadly this change did not alter Volumio’s behavior in my case, as I could still see the artists only prior to Ha* . I changed the conf value back to its original, heeding advice that the automatic updater could be confused by the template file change.

I’m providing these details as additional data in case they help with both botrytis and my problem, which seem somewhat related.

Mine is doing the exact same thing.

Hi, I have exactly the same problem as you (posted above).

Hi,
During several years (yes!), I had problems scanning my 4 Tb HDD with Volumio / Rpi3 or Rpi4.
My personal suggestion: check if there are any “corrupted” files, or corrupted tags (sometimes no tag at all) with any of these tools :

• Foobar 2000 - Select the entire library - Utilities - verify integrity), or
  • This audiotester here : vuplayer.com
    I located (be careful) then corrected wrong or missing tags with an editor.
    Last : deleted unrecoverable files …and tried to re-download.
    Now, every file I download is integrity checked first, and Volumio scans the whole HDD.
    Hope this helps,

Thanks Sernyl_S7 for the suggestion. In my case, I am not asking Volumio to scan my music drive directly, but rather I’m asking Volumio to ask a Plex server (via UPnP) to return an “All Artists” list that is several thousand long. It never gets past the F’s. Regardless of that, your suggestion is a good one. Since my system is Linux based I tried the mp3check tool which scanned my entire music library with a single command - pretty cool. Indeed, the check returned files with errors, most often junk bytes before or after the mp3 data. Looking deeper, for one of those songs flagged with an error, I found that Plex had accepted it, and it was playable directly in a Plex client, and also in Volumio after the song was requested from Plex. So some of the errors detected by mp3check are true “showstoppers” and others are more like warnings. As a matter of good practice I’ll try to fix the files that have been flagged. I’m hopeful that the upcoming Plex plugin will cure the premature ending of my artist list.

1 Like

Hi,
My suggestion comes simply from my findings !
I don’t use Linux (except inside the Rpi) so I have no idea about the mp3check tool, but it showed you some corrupted files. Does it work with .flac files ?
Plex acceptance may be not enough :
On my side, Foobar accepted reading some corrupted files (later identified as), but Volumio did not…
It seems that Volumio is more “sensitive” to these files and stops there.
BTW, a simple missing tag is enough to stop scanning by Volumio : does MP3check identifies them ?
You could first move away the files detected by MP3check and see if Volumio scan the good ones entirely.
If not, scan with other tools like FB or the other one I was writing about.

It would be interesting to know the tag names examined by Volumio.

Regards,

I have still the same problem. The scan stops at artists beginning with C. I have 8.304 albums in JRiver and never had a problem. This issue, which it seems is not only mine, is what is holding me to use Volumio. I am using a Rasp 4 with 4 MB RAM but this also happened with a Rasp 3. I am using the latest Volumio version. Does anyone have a solution for this ?

Have you read this topic and what have you done so far?

volumio cannot load music files when using a directly plugged-in ssd hard drive. When connecting the hard drive to the Rp5, the music scanning process starts but only certain albums can be found (picture 1), the music download arrow rotates endlessly, there is no music file (the file has been loaded in the source) in the folder. library (picture 2), return to view the music files that have been scanned in the source section, the number of initially scanned files returns to 0 (picture 3).
Does anyone have the same problem as me, is there any way to solve this problem, thank you very much!

Can you please send logs?

1 Like

@Man Please repeat and finish with creating a log
See log instructions.
Then please paste the url to the log here, so it can be analysed.

How does journaling begin? The instruction link you sent does not exist. It’s difficult for me without specific instructions from you. Thank you very much!

1 Like

Just correct the URL in gkkpch post.

1 Like

I don’t know how to send the log, currently I can only take pictures to show the 3 stages as above, picture 1 volumio starts scanning music when the hard drive is plugged in it scans 479 albums like picture 1 but in the library section music does not display them, the music scanning arrow rotates endlessly, when I return to the music source interface the number 479album has returned to zero as shown in photo 2, when I scan the music again the problem is as shown in photo 3. thank you very much, looking forward to your support!

http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/rioBCzF.html
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/txCNZoe.html

Please send your ‘‘error log’’ Thank you very much!

could you please update to 3.611 and check if the issue is still there?

1 Like

I just updated to the latest version 3.611 the problem is not resolved, everything is still the same as before.

http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/Eqz2FFG.html
please check for me, thank you very much!