Installation question

Just got a Pi 3 to use it with IQAudio DAC. Since I have no experience wit Pi I need help installing Volumio.
I followed the instructions and gotthe image on the SD card. I inserted it into the Pi and nothing happened, i.e. the Pi would not boot. I formatted the SD card and installed Noobs, now the Pi works but I am not sure how to get Volumio onto the Pi.
Do i use the same SD card, i.e. the one with the OS or a different one?
Since Pi 3 has wireless connection can I just download it (like you would do on a PC) or can I use a USB drive?
Thank you for your help!

Did you download the image from https://volumio.org/get-started/? Did you check the md5sum of the downloaded image file (notice that this is for the .img NOT the .zip file)

Note: there is a new version about to be released.

How did you write the image to the card?

Volumio is not installed on the RPi; you have installed Noobs, which is different.

Volumio is a customised version of the Raspbian (Noobs) OS. Flash the Volumio image to your card and boot from this card.

No, you can’t just download it, because Volumio IS the operating system as well. On a PC, you already have an OS.

Thank you for the info.
“Volumio is a customised version of the Raspbian (Noobs) OS. Flash the Volumio image to your card and boot from this card.”
This answers my question.