Icy Box music player

Icy Box music player

Hi all,

first i would like to say ‘thank you’ to everybody behind the great volumio project :slight_smile:

I am pretty new to raspberry pi and linux but installation of volumio beta 1.4 was a easy task. Wolfson audio card is running fine after studying some threads here in the forum. I was just missing a nice case to store my new toy in our living room because my wifes ‘cool but messy looking hardware acceptance factor’ is below zero :wink:

That why i took my old and unused Icy Box UBS external HDD raid system and removed the HDD’s including the backplate with all the electronics. I made a new backplate from 2mm ABS plastic, did some wiring and installed everthing inside the box. The raspberry is cooled without a fan just by screwing it on the hdd slot. I am using the allread installed red led (behind front side mesh) to show power on status. Music can be managed via PC webinterface or Android tablet (MPDroid). …That all :slight_smile:

Hardware used:

raspberry pi (B version)
Wolfson Audio Card
Icy Box UBS external HDD raid system
Edimax EW-7811UN Wireless USB Adapter

regards

Michael
volumio_1.jpg
volumio_2.jpg
volumio_3.jpg

Very clean and elegant looking, good job!

The ports on the back look very precise, did you use a CNC-Machine?
And is it possible to get a look inside? :smiley:

hi,

yes, i used a small hobby cnc machine to machine the backplate. Here is a picture of the inside:

Not much to see and nothing special so far. I soldered the audio cable directly to the wolfson audio board line out. The 3,5mm plug acts only as a dummy to simulate a connected headset to the audio board. All isolations are done by kapton tape or shrink tubes to avoid possible shortcuts.
inside.jpg