How to install a GUI on my rpi (need memory!)

Hello,

I was using my rpi to host my website and I would like to continue to do that. I also wanted to install a GUI to control my pi with VNC.
I found a great tutorial to install a GUI on Raspbian Jessie Lite (raspberrypi.org/forums/view … 6&t=133691), but it looks like Volumio is using almost all the memory available !

Is this going to be a problem (for both GUI and small web-server) ? If so is there another MPD solution more appropriate to my needs?
I was planning to create a (physical) UI for Volumio so I’ld like to stay in this community a little bit longer :wink:

[code] ___
/_ \ __
__ __ //\ \ __ __ ___ ___ /_\ ___
/\ /\ \ / __\\ \ \ /\ \/\ \ /' __ __\/\ \ / __\
\ \ _/ |/\ \L\ \
\ _\ \ _\ /\ /\ /\ \ \ /\ \L\
\ _
/ \ _//_\ _/\ _\ _\ _\ _\ _/
// // // // /////////___/

Free Audiophile Linux Music Player - Version 2.0

C 2015 Michelangelo Guarise - Volumio Team - Volumio.org

Volumio Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
flo@aurora:~$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 973 797 175 32 91 410
-/+ buffers/cache: 294 678
Swap: 0 0 0
[/code]

VNC is running with Mate, runs like a charm. I can remote access my pi, run firefox and more without swapping.

Why do I have more memory used than you without any desktop environment running?!

Most of it is cached, I’d say give it a try. worse case rollback :wink:

It seems to work (I installed mate-desktop-environment), let’s see if I can also run Nginx now :stuck_out_tongue:
16-10-29 at 16.25.JPG

Volumio used a ramdisk to decrease the wear of SD cards. That probably is why you see a high ram usage.

Yes Volumio2 runs on RAM, therefore on 512MB PIs, you get reallly not much room left for other stuff…
Your mileage may vary however…

I’m glad to use a RPI2 :slight_smile:

My php-server is running (using nginx) and I can access it by taping localhost on my RPI but on my desktop when I use 192.168.0.12/ or my website url it reaches volumio UI. How can I change that please?

I think my ideal configuration should be the opposite process (access to volumio UI only from local RPI and my web server using outside network) or at least a subfolder to access to volumio UI (192.168.0.12/volumio/) and let base path free. :bulb:

PS : volumio.local/ doesn’t work on my network.

I’m kind of stuck here :cry: