How does this all work?

Ok, silly question time :blush:

So if I have a USB DAC I can run volumio directly from my laptop or phone, that’s understood.

Now if I get an I2S DAC and a raspberry pi, does that mean I have to transfer all my music to another drive to connect it to the pi or do I plug my laptop into the pi or the final part to my question, or does transfer via my modem/WiFi?

I have a second question can I hook up either an xmos or anamero board to an I2S DAC and use that as an USB DAC? :exclamation:

You can run the x86 version of Volumio from your laptop (with provisos … please see the x86 thread volumio-x86-debian-buster-debugging-party-beta-t13957.html).

It does not run on your phone, other than in a browser to access another device (RPi, x86, single board computers (SBC)).

Your music, however it is stored, needs to be available to the device running Volumio … that could be a samba share from your laptop, a NAS, a USB drive, USB flash drive etc.

If the music is shared via Samba or NFS over your LAN, then you should be able to access it with your Volumio device.

I have a second question can I hook up either an xmos or anamero board to an I2S DAC and use that as an USB DAC? :exclamation:
[/quote]