Hotspot fallback fails to start

Any news on this yet my friend?

Sorry, didn’t look into that yet…

Maybe try out this plugin? I’m not sure about hotspot but it is supposed to restart wifi on loss of connection.

github.com/balbuze/volumio-plug … ireconnect

Thanks Rees I will take a look at that!
Maybe if Hotspot fallback was a feature only available in MyVolumio, a paid for premium service, we’d have a fix by now! Maybe I could voice activate it!

Not funny, for me at least

I don’t know if this issue was supposed to be fixed.
But in version 2.502 from october 31st (for me) it still exists after update.

Any news on this issue?

1 Like

Hi
i’m eager to know if this will be fixed ^^

i’m on my first config : rasp Zero + justboom amp + volumio-2.555-2019-02-18-pi
1 - hotspot is found perfectly
2 - volumio.local is working, and allows me to set up
3 - volumio reboot… and never shows up again, neither on wifi, nor as hotspot

i tried on two different networks

thanks in advance for your advices or help

same problem on a+ and latest volumio: no hotspot (neither fallback nor hotspot if no known network is present). would be happy for a solution since my plan was to use the a+ as a „mobile“ volumio version… :frowning:

I’ve a similar problem, when I start my Pi Zero with a fresh Volumio SD card in it, no hotspot like ‘volumio’ is found.

I can’t get started at all…

Ted :astonished:

How far back does this go? I got bit by upgrading OTA, then tried the latest release 2.599, which does exactly as you’ve described here and my PiZero disappeared. So I rolled back to 2.587 and discovered this behaviour still exists!

last-upgrade-problem-t12695-20.html#p65625

Alas, I can’t help, but also have a problem: I want to use Volumio on a Zero (with DAC).
I have started several times with a fresh Volumio image, but none works. I also started with an image prepared in a Pi3B (which functioned excellent over there). But the same, after startup nothing happens, No volumio SSID, really nothing.

Then I decided to go for the monitor & Keyboard option. The first time the monitor showed what’s in the attachment.

Zero_noSSID.jpg

After 45 min waiting, and no more text appearing) I decided to try power disconnection & reconnection. Then the SD card changes were not done and the system stops again.

So… I know about the Zero problems, but is there any hope?

There is hope! Just flashed the 2,599 img, and this one does give a Volumio hotspot to login.

Now finetuning the thing, NAS is not spontaneously scanned, and even seems not to get scanned at all. Will continue…

Hello @volumio I’m bringing to light this post just to say that the issue is still open on release 2.834, meaning that even if hotspot fallback option is enabled a reboot is needed in order to trigger the hotspot in case of lack of connection; not a big problem at least for me.
Instead, what I would like to highlight is that this flag is disabled by default but in the Quick Start Guide https://volumio.github.io/docs/User_Manual/Quick_Start_Guide.html is specified that “If, for whatever reason, your configured Wireless network is not available, Volumio will automatically re-enable the Hotspot”. This sentence can be misleading since it’s not the default behaviour but can be obtained by enabling the hotspot fallback. This is just my 2 cents, I’m available to support if needed (e.g. open a ticke or updated the guide). Thanks

You’re right, its not enabled by default… An help updating the guide will be very helpful

Glad to contribute, I will update the guide

I have a follow-up quesiton. It seems I had hotspot fallback option set to off.
I have switched wi-fi routers, there is no wi-fi connection, no fallback, so no way to access the GUI settings section. (Old wifi not available)

Is there any setting I can change directly on the SD card to re-enable hotspot, or add new wi-fi connection details?. Like by editing userconfig.txt. I guess the alternative is fressh install?

Set same SSID and password to your new router what the old one had, it will connect automatically.(so does all your other devices aswell, so you save the time of enabling wifi one by one for each device)

Thank you that was a great solution! It was quicker for me to use the hotspot functionality on my phone (temporary changing the details there without re-configuring the main wi-fi router).