Hi from Paris

Hi, I’ve been using Volumio for few weeks now including with Qobuz. I tried several distributions I find Volumio has the best sound quality. Thanks for the great job.
Volumio is intalled on RPI4 with a Ian Canada FifoPi reclocking card and an I2S-HDMI adapter (from Ian Canada too).
Works great but still few problems.
Cheers, Flifli

Hi Flifli,
How is the FiFoPi reclocking card working for you? I am thinking of getting one, but no idea if it will make a difference. Do you notice a difference with or without it?
I have a similar setup, RPI3B+ outputting I2S to HDMI, connected to a PS Audio Stellar GC DAC.
Cheers
David

Hi from the Reunion island,
I have a RPI 4 with 4GB memory. I tried the direct connection with the I2S bus but it was not as good as it should be and it is very limited.
I bought the Jlsound usb to i2s card. It takes the usb signal from the rpi and then change it to i2s. Here I tried two options :
Connect an hdmi output card and then the dac. Already way better than the rpi i2s. But the best is to connect the fifopi to the jlsound card through the i2s bus. The fifopi has to be power supplied with the 2 power inputs. It is now very good, it does improve the sound. The last improvement was to change the 2 clocks on the fifopi with 2 acusilicon.
It is then really great. Nothing to compare with.
Tell me is you need more help, Flifli

you make me jealous :smile:
greetings from hamburg, Germany

Thanks! The Fifopi does seem to make sense on paper, but without knowing Ian Canada’s stuff, I thought it would be better to ask.
I’m a bit reticent to use the PI’s USB ports at all, particularly trying to avoid an initial I2S->USB->I2S conversion. Maybe the better bet is to get rid of the Pi and change to a Tinkerboard S, which is supposed to have a better I2S implementation. Lot’s of testing ahead :wink:

Hi,
I tried the Tinker but I was not able to make it work with I2S
Flifli

I’ll let you know once I get it. I’m setting up a second system (basically a Meridian Explorer2 USB DAC over headphone amp), so I just ordered the Tinkerboard S as a source, and the Fifopi Q3. Depending on what works best, one will land with the main system through I2S over HDMI, the other one will be “stuck” using USB.

Same here, I couldn’t make I2S work on the Tinker Board either, even though I used the same R-PI DAC config I use on the RPI3+. The Pin-out is the same, so it won’t be something I will be able to correct.
I’ll try the FIFOPI on the RPI once I get the 3.3v power going.
In any case, the Tinker Board + Meridian Explorer 2 over USB combo sounds good, so the Tinker Board won’t go to waste.

Hi Davinchif,
I guess it’s more a problem of driver than hardware. On the RPI side the I2S has not been designed for being very precise (jittery) as the drivers wich are also very limited. I began as you did but I concluded that the USB bus was still the best developped on the RPI, at least on the RPI 4 where the USB bus is separated from the ethernet. This is why I went through this complicated path USB-I2S-FIFOPI-HDMI. Enventually the outcome is very good and is worth all the effort.
Cheers, Flifli

Sorry for the late reply but I did write it just after ypour post but some reason my post did not go through. Mystery of computing.
Regards, Flifli

No worries, the replies were there, just minimized under “2 Replies” :slight_smile:
I am happy with the RPI-I2S-FiFOPi-HDMI chain. I’d have to get a new RPI (I run a 3B) and then the USB-I2S… not that it is expensive, but I’ll save that cash towards a bigger upgrade on the analog path :wink: