HELP NEEDED TO TEST THE NEW UPDATER

Those modules are not needed with newer kernel since they’ve gone mainline

Yep, let’s go! Thanks michel

If you guys are on X86, please DO NOT UPDATE until further notice, thanks

Hi
Updated to 2.222 it worked fine , reboot, Quick test and a reboot, it seems okay
But when I click for a update to 2.23?, nothing happens!

Edit:Deleted user data and then I’m able update to 2.233, a bit of work to restore :slight_smile: but it seems work as usual

Updated to 2.222 from 2.201 with no problem. Need to delete user data in order to update from 2.222 to 2.233. After update everything seems fine but I noticed a few things:

[] There’s some stuttering when playing 24bit/192khz flac files (Raspberry Pi 2). Checked CPU usage and it was not really high. Less than 40%.
[
] When trying to uninstall plugin (volspotconnect2), the progress bar stuck at 90%-Plugin removed from registry. I load volumio.local on another browser tap and the plugin did get removed. I was able to upload updated volspotconnect2 too.
[*] Trying to send log report in volumio.local/dev. After typing the reason and press send, it’s stuck at “Sending log report, please wait”. Never get the report link.

Hi,
I am using Volumio on PC.
I am trying to enable test version via volumio.local/dev. It does not work. When I click TRUE on Test Mode, the is no confirmation dialog and the updater says “latest version installed”.

Thanks.

Please don’t use the updater on X86, we’re still working on that

ODROID C2 : update from 2.166 to 2.174 went smooth.
Everything is working as before : NAS, Web-Radio, Spotify, Spotify Connect, Youtube, Touch Display.
Maybe I did not realized until now : background is missing from web user interface, but on connected TV it is available :slight_smile:

ODROID C2 : update from 2.174 to 2.238

Update hangs up at 57%. Shutdown via ssh after 30 minutes. After restart volumio shows 2.238 system version.

log after update : logs.volumio.org/volumio/Qbkizsc.html

Spotify, WebRadio, Music Library, Spotify Connect are working - can play.

Missing back button from Music Library.
Check for update does not produce any message window.
Sometimes the list of “Search Plugins” is empty, sometimes is not.
Selecting My Music restarts the user interface. After device reboot it is ok.

Updated to 2.222 and worked fine and updated no problem from a clean install 2.201, updated to 2.244 and it took a little bit longer (10-15seconds) to reboot but worked fine once it rebooted. I havent tested out functionally yet but system is up and running on web UI. Will update if i experience any issues. Thanks!

Update:
I’m using the hifiberry digi+ pro and managed to get sound out of the player. However I installed the snapcast plugin and also the backup and autoplay plugins and am no longer able to get any sounds out of it.

I tried a factory reset and then updated to 2.244 again and that was seamless however am still unable to get any sound out of it, despite not installing any plugins this time around.

And finally… we are almost ready to release also new x86 builds… So please, help us testing the x86 platform as well…
Looking forward for your feedbacks!

I am running Volumio on a desktop PC, system loads from HD.
Update to 2.224 worked.
Update to 2.254 results in dead system.

if a connect a monitor directly to the PC I se this message:

No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!

How can I solve this situtation, my music files are on the same HD as the volumio system, I need to
get back to old system without loosing my files, nearly 3Tb data.

Pity this post is double, I already answered in the HELP section.
Will we close this or the other one?

The failing boot after using the x86 updater, specifically during the upgrade from intermediate version 2.224 to version 2.254, has been located and eliminated. Sofar it showed with PCs using legacy boot, but would not have worked with UEFI either.

In case you are stuck with a “dead” system and can’t reflash, please contact us.
There is a way to recover from it, albeit not without manual intervention.

A word of warning:
Although most updates are thoroughly tested before putting them into the field for testing, it is possible that something slips through (like in this case).
So when you do volunteer to help us testing new features (which we sometimes need and really appreciate), you should only do that on systems you would be willing to reflash in case something went wrong.

– Gé –

Meanwhile we have an experimental version 2.256, which really has a new kernel (v4.9.29).
This one would be specially interesting for people with relatively new hardware, you’re welcome to update and test.
In case you still on v2.201, then update to 2.254 first (this is as far as a normal update will go at the moment).

When on 2.254, go to the dev page (your-ip/dev) and enable test mode.
Then update again, this should take you to version 2.256

Note 1: In case you cannot update because you have relatively new hardware but weren’t able to run the current x86 version, then
you could flash the experimental 2.256 version directly.
Download location: http://updates.volumio.org/x86/volumio/2.256/volumio-2.256-2017-08-11-x86.img.zip

Note 2: this is pre-release stuff for kernel update testing, so there is always a little chance something does not work.
Never update a system for test purposes when you want to keep that system safe. You might need to reflash and loose all data.
Thanks for supporting us.

Zotac Zbox @ v. 2.201 - 14.06.2017
–>
v. 2.224 - 28.07.2017 -> ok
–>
v. 2.256 - 11.08.2017 -> ok

Everything seems to work except hdmi audio. I have to manually edit mpd.conf to hw0,3. No problems with usb dac.

edit:

test2 - x86 pc2
v. 2.201 - 14.06.2017
v. 2.224 - 28.07.2017 -> ok
v. 2.254 - 07.08.2017 -> ok (enable test)
v. 2.256 - 11.08.2017 -> ok

Hi, thanks for your extensive feedback. I must admit I never tried HDMI Audio out, so let me have a look at that.
– Gé –

I just bought an Intel NUC-Kit NUC6CAYH. (Celeron Processor J3455).
I made a USB stick with Volumio 2.201. The system works, the update doesn’t: it says it updates, the progress bar and messages go on, but after rebooting the system it is stuck to the version 2.201.

So I made another USB stick with VERSION 2.256, released on August 11, linked some post ago. It works. I even installed the WiFi firmware (iwlwifi-3168-22.ucode) as suggested by gkkpch in another thread, and the wirelss card on the NUC works.

Then I tried to update, with no result. When I press the Check Updates button nothing happens. I checked before and after enabling the test mode in the dev page.

Here is the report:
logs.volumio.org/volumio/Olov5xf.html

Version 2.256 has another problem, on my NUC: the local interface is not shown neither on the HDMI, nor in the VGA output. I only see the six virtual consols, from tty1, up to tty6.

I just tried another time now, with the computer connected through the WiFi connection, and the update to the version 2.262 started.
Earlier (and yesterday), with the computer connected with the wired Ethernet, nothing happened.
I don’t think the different behaviour is related to the network interface, but it is the only thing that I changed.

The update was successful. Of course I lost the WiFi connection, because the version 2.262 doesn’t (still) include the needed firmware file. I checked: it contains the kernel 3.18.25, so there is no way to make the WiFi on my Intel NUC to work. I have to stick with version 2.256.

Here is the report:
logs.volumio.org/volumio/9iAz4DN.html

Hi Roberto, thanks for your feedback. However please note that X86 version is under heavy rework and we’re holding updates until we have a stable situation. Therefore if you update, you’ll be getting DEV version which might not work properly.
What changed since yesterday is that we built new versions :wink: