Display 7,9 help in setting

I have such a display 7.9inch Capacitive Touch Screen LCD, 400 × 1280, HDMI, IPS, Toughened Glass Cover. Unfortunately, despite connecting to the raspberry via the micro usb / hdmi input, I do not have a picture.
In the settings of the Touch Display plugin, I rotated the image 90 degrees. But still nothing is displayed. I see that you are building your devices based on these or similar displays. What’s the problem. I bought RP4 on purpose for the display to work. When plugged into a laptop, it works and the screen can be properly reversed. Please help.

@gvolt can you help him with it, if you have the time.

Best regards,
Dvo

I connect the display as in the pictures at the manufacturer. There are only some pale lines and that’s it. There is no image on the display.
And question 2 - how to set the PeppyMeter and touch display so that the first one appears on the screen (the 7 inch screen works, but this one has a different format)

@TomSy Please connect to Volumio via SSH and post the output of

cat /boot/config.txt

cat /boot/userconfig.txt

and

ls -al /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d

P.S. In such hardware related threads it is always helpful to reveal the brand and exact model name of the display as well as the Raspberry Pi model. :wink:

Volumio Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Welcome to Volumio for Raspberry Pi (5.10.92-v7l+ armv7l)
volumio@volumio:~$ cat /boot/config.txt
initramfs volumio.initrd
gpu_mem=32
max_usb_current=1
dtparam=audio=on
audio_pwm_mode=2
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
disable_splash=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
force_eeprom_read=0

include userconfig.txtvolumio@volumio:~$

include userconfig.txtvolumio@volumio:~$ ^C
volumio@volumio:~$ cat /boot/userconfig.txt

Add your custom config.txt options to this file, which will be preserved during updates

Touch Display rotation setting below: do not alter

display_lcd_rotate=1
display_hdmi_rotate=1volumio@volumio:~$

Touch Display rotation setting below: do not alter

display_lcd_rotate=1
display_hdmi_rotate=1volumio@volumio:~$ ^C
volumio@volumio:~$ ls -al /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
total 28
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 29 18:28 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4096 Aug 29 18:28 …
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 92 Feb 7 2019 10-amdgpu.conf
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 1350 Aug 4 12:56 10-quirks.conf
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 92 Apr 6 2019 10-radeon.conf
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 1429 Mar 31 2019 40-libinput.conf
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 2747 Jun 26 2017 70-wacom.conf
volumio@volumio:~$

Now execute

cat >> /boot/userconfig.txt <<EOL

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_timings=400 0 100 10 140 1280 10 20 20 2 0 0 0 60 0 43000000 3
hdmi_blanking=1
EOL

and reboot.

P.S. I am assuming your display is this. Please confirm or tell which display you are using. Also: What is your Raspberry Pi model?

Sorry, where should I enter this text

Display LCD 7,9 cal RP4 B 4gb ram 7.9inch Capacitive Touch Display for Raspberry Pi, 400×1280, IPS, HDMI waveshare

On Volumio’s command line. So connect to Volumio via SSH (again).

PuTTY?

?
In your first post in this thread you wrote that it is an HDMI display:

So what is correct now?

7.9inch Capacitive Touch Display for Raspberry Pi, 400×1280, IPS, HDMI

1 Like

Yes, for instance.

How to get him to work. He is HDMI

So, in case you should be using the 7.9" HDMI Waveshare display execute the proposed command from post #6 after connecting to Volumio via SSH.

On a Raspberry Pi 4 make sure the display is conneccted to HDMI port 0 (the port next to the USB-C connector).

Powered from the Raspberry USB 3.0 port? Sorry, but write these commands in PuTYY? or how?
I’m just starting my adventure with a raspberry and I’m learning. Hence, typing or editing the command line is unknown to me.

The Pi 4 gets its power from the USB-C port:

Raspberry Pi 4 board overview

I just wanted to help you identifyibg the HDMI 0 port on the Pi…

You connect to Volumio via SSH as you apparently already did in order get the content to create post #5. You can use PuTTY for that.

After SSHing to Volumio you are already on Volumio’s command line. Then you would need to copy the complete code block from post #6, i.e.

cat >> /boot/userconfig.txt <<EOL

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_blanking=1
EOL

paste that on the command line of Volumio and hit Enter. This should modify the file “/boot/userconfig.txt” as needed.

Alternatively you could also connect to Volumio via SSH and edit “/boot/userconfig.txt” using nano (editor):

Start the editor by executing

nano /boot/userconfig.txt

Then copy the following lines

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_blanking=1

and paste them into the opened “/boot/userconfig.txt”. I recommend inserting the new lines at the beginning or at the end of the file to avoid affecting entries already present in the file.

Then hit Ctrl+x, y and Enter to save the file and close nano.

Reboot.

1 Like

Thank you, thank you very much for your help and your time. The display came to life!

It remains “only” to start the Peppy Meter operation. But that’s not the thread. Thanks again!

I would advice first play and learn it a bit and if you think you
Are ready then start with Peppy Meter plugin.