DigiOne Coaxial/BNC output for RPI

If anyone is interested, I have remove the onboard DC-DC converter to feed the DigiOne with clean 5V power rather than through the Pi.

See http://theaudiostandard.net/post/122960/thread

Fair warning: this will invalidate your DigiOne warranty.
Thanks to Allo and Volumio for great products.

Hi all!

Once the aluminum case became available for the digione player, I purchased one. Installed it in my setup yesterday.

The startup was really easy, I was able to connect to the Volumio interface right away and updated it to the newest version. Installed the spotify plugin, entered credentials, chose digione as playback output, rebooted. All this went perfectly and was really easy to do.

But…I have no sound. The digione player is connected to my DAC with RCA Coax. I have tested my setup with a sonos streamer and it works so I know the problem is with the digione.

I have Volumios volume on 100 and track playing but have no sound. I cannot figure out what the problem is.

Can anyone help me with troubleshooting?

One thing apart from getting no sound is strange to me, it takes really long for the RPI to boot. I have to wait approx 20 min before I can connect to the Volumio interface through my browser (by typing volumio/local in the address bar). This seems odd since the RPI should reboot in a minute or two.

Br, Zleepy

Update:

I found a RCA -> BNC plug in my stash, plugged it in the RCA coax cable, connected it to the digione BNC plug and what do you know, I have sound!

Does this mean I have a faulty RCA coax output on my digione player??

Br, Zleepy

Not necessary.

Every DAC has a threshold input volatge on the coaxial. We found that a few don’t fallow guidelines (0.5V pk to pk)

Our BNC has a slightly higher voltage output.

Any any case I dont know what the issue is. If you want a replacement please contact us.

Hi everybody!

I’ve recently received my DigiOne board ( :smiley: ) and I’m currently in the process of working on the best possible setup that will maximize the performance of this highly praised digital sound transport solution.

I’m sorry to get back (once again) to a question already asked, but I’d like to really understand which cable configuration I should prefer to connect the DigiOne to my DAC .

The DAC (Teac UD-301) has a RCA input jack that is rated by the manufacturer as follows:

0.5 Vp-p (input impedence 75 Ohm)

It seems, therefore, that the RCA input on the DAC was designed and built according to official specs and guidelines.

Notwithstanding the above, since I’m now going to purchase a dedicated 3 metres long SPDIF cable to connect the DigiOne to the DAC, which of the following options would be the one to go for:

1. cable terminated with RCA connectors on both ends;
  2. cable terminated with BNC connector on one end (DigiOne side) and RCA connector on the other end (DAC side)

I do have full flexibility and choice on the connectors, since the cable will be custom built according to my specs.

Together with the DigiOne, I have also purchased the optional BNC adapter, so I could eventually resort to the use of the BNC output even if I would end up purchasing a RCA cable. However, If it makes sense to prefer the BNC output, I would prefer to have the cable directly terminated with a BNC connector, thus eliminating the adapter from the chain and making the connection leaner.

Many thanks in advance for your input on the above. I’m really looking forward to sound test the DigiOne with Volumio! :wink:

Cheers,
Marco

RCA cannot be true 75Ohm , its impossible by its construction.

Some manufacturers don’t take in consideration that RCA connectors are only 50Ohms.

bluejeanscable.com/articles/75ohmrca.htm

In any case the difference between the 2 are minimal. I would say test both outputs and chose the one that sounds best to you

You can optimize your cable length to avoid any reflections interfering with registration of the transition re: positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm . The rise time for the Spdif signal tranisition from the Digione is less than 25ns ? Allo can you provide a number for that.

Far less. Abut 1.1ns

Is the original (about 3 years old) DigiOne compatible with new Raspberry Pi 4? My RPi 3 just died.

Yes it is. My digione sig works beautifully with rpi 4