Design of Motherboard

Hi Volumio!!!

It’s been a big pleasure meeting you! You have been doing a great work and I would like to also contribute to it.

I am a valve enthusiast designing valve based devices. You can have a short reference by having a look at my DIY website www.vampaudio.gr.

I am planning to design a big motherboard that will host:
HD USB DAC
OPTICAL/SPDIF inputs
BT receiver
Volumio
Dual mono DAC
Individual Power Supplies
Tube output stage
LCD display
IR control
Main controller: AVR
Digital signals multiplexed and manipulated by FPGA

My main questions regarding Volumio are:

1. What type of I2S is the output of Raspberry Pi?
  2. Can volumio act as UPNP/DLNA player/renderer, so that I can send music through DLNA apps (eg. Bubble UPNP)?
  3. Can you output ID3 tags in UART (TXD), so that I can collect these data from AVR microcontroller?
  4. IR receiver will be connected to AVR microcontroller. Could Volumio receive commands by UART (RXD) for basic functions such us next/previous/play/pause?

I am willing to design this PCB and share it with you afterwards. Are you willing to support in some minor software points that may pop up in volumio side??? :smiley:

Hope that I will soon find enough time to develop this project as I believe it will be a really high end all in one digital audio playback device!

Kind regards,
Vampaudio

Hi Everybody!

it seems that nobody is interested in my suggested project… :frowning:

Is there anybody willing to help?

Hi!
I had a look at your website ! Very interesting! Even if I’m not able to help you, I just want to encourage you to carry on with your idea of MB :smiley:

@Vampaudio

Hi!

Just proceed with your very promising project! A MB especially optimized for audiophile playback is definitely missing on the market- and no one would say raspberry pi has been developed for high quality audio :mrgreen:
BTW: I’m also a tube amp maniac since the first time I enjoyed this involving sound. This addiction caused the motivation to design tube amps as a hobbyist. My current system: Single Ended Amp- big Fullrange Horns- AP Linux (the best audio player I’ve ever heard) with ext. DAC (various).

Greetingz, Robert

Hi Vampaudio! I missed this topic, wow what a proposal! Let’s do it!

To reply to your questions:

1. What type of I2S is the output of Raspberry Pi?
    Standard I2S, without master clock
  2. Can volumio act as UPNP/DLNA player/renderer, so that I can send music through DLNA apps (eg. Bubble UPNP)?
    Yes!
  3. Can you output ID3 tags in UART (TXD), so that I can collect these data from AVR microcontroller?
    I can deploy this if you need
  4. IR receiver will be connected to AVR microcontroller. Could Volumio receive commands by UART (RXD) for basic functions such us next/previous/play/pause?
    Yes, also this. We can set up a custom script that does exactly that!

Eager to see what you will submit!

Thanks for your feedback and your willingness to support!

I will keep you updated about the project status but I am afraid that it will go a bit slow because I am involved in various other projects at the moment.