Courious behaviour when trying to play Music from my NAS via NFS

Hi everyone,

since some Time I have the Problem, that when I go to my Musiclibrary, select my NAS and the klick on the Play-Button or choose Play from the …-Menu the GUI won’t respond anymore and after a short time, the Boot-Sound plays. After that, the volumio is working fine, until I try to play a File from my NAS again.

If I choose “add to Playlist” I can play any File I want, even from my NAS. But if I press the Play-Button, it goes bonkers again.

Even after the Upgrade from Version 2 to Version 3 yesterday, this behaviour continues.

I have Uploaded my Debug-Log.

You can see, after the Startup:

Dec 17 14:05:16 cetheus-musik-wz volumio[19542]: info: -------------------------------------------
Dec 17 14:05:16 cetheus-musik-wz volumio[19542]: info: -----            Volumio3              ----
Dec 17 14:05:16 cetheus-musik-wz volumio[19542]: info: -------------------------------------------
Dec 17 14:05:16 cetheus-musik-wz volumio[19542]: info: -----          System startup          ----

I added the Song to the “currently playing” Playlist:

Dec 17 14:06:22 cetheus-musik-wz volumio[19542]: verbose: ControllerMpd::sendMpdCommand add "NAS/Musikbunker/Geoff Castellucci - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.mp3"

The Song played successfully.
After that, I tried to play it again from the Library with the Play-Button in front of the Entry and the Journal-Log gets flooded with this kind of Messages:

Dec 17 14:10:02 cetheus-musik-wz volumio[19542]: info: Adding Item to queue: music-library/NAS/Musikbunker/Andre Rieu & The Johann Strauss Orchestra - An Der Shonen Blauen Donau.mp3
Dec 17 14:10:02 cetheus-musik-wz volumio[19542]: info: Exploding uri music-library/NAS/Musikbunker/Andre Rieu & The Johann Strauss Orchestra - An Der Shonen Blauen Donau.mp3 in service mpd
Dec 17 14:10:02 cetheus-musik-wz volumio[19542]: info: Adding Item to queue: music-library/NAS/Musikbunker/BL3_ViolentNight_MP3.mp3
Dec 17 14:10:02 cetheus-musik-wz volumio[19542]: info: Exploding uri music-library/NAS/Musikbunker/BL3_ViolentNight_MP3.mp3 in service mpd
Dec 17 14:10:02 cetheus-musik-wz volumio[19542]: info: Adding Item to queue: music-library/NAS/Musikbunker/dieaerzte_monsterparty.mp4
Dec 17 14:10:02 cetheus-musik-wz volumio[19542]: info: Exploding uri music-library/NAS/Musikbunker/dieaerzte_monsterparty.mp4 in service mpd

until the volumio-Services getting rebootet. (As the crash happens, I’m still connected via SSH)

Also I discovered that I can’t access the internal memory. I just get the “NAS” entry in my Music-Library.

[edith:] I forgot to mention: I’m running a Raspberry-Pi 3:

System Information

OS info
Version of Volumio: 3.175
Hostname: cetheus-musik-wz
Kernel: 5.4.83-v7+
Governor: performance
Uptime: 1 days, 2 Hrs, 11 Minutes, 11 Seconds

Audio info
Hw audio configured: HiFiBerry Digi
Mixer type: None
Number of channels: 2
Supported sample rate: 44100 48000 88200 96000 176400 192000

Board info
Manufacturer: Raspberry Pi Foundation
Model: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2
Version: a02082
Firmware Version: Jan 8 2021 14:33:35 - 194a85abd768c7334bbadc3f1911c10a7d18ed14

CPU info
Brand: BCM2837
Speed: 1.2Ghz
Number of cores: 4
Physical cores: 4
Average load: 5%
Temperature: 58°C

Memory info
Memory: 991696 Ko
Free: 68116 Ko
Used: 923580 Ko

Storage info
INTERNAL storage - Size: 27484Mo
Used: 1152Mo
Available for storage: 24914Mo (91%)

[edith^2]: Updated Log-File to a smaller one

Thank you for the Help in advance
Greetings Cetheus

Wait for the startup sound, that indicates the system is ready.
Then start playing music.

It does not play. As soon as the GUI is reacting, it crashes again, when I hit the Play-Button.

The majority of that log is full of mpd adding music to your library. Can you please do a reboot, observe the problem that you are reporting, and then send a log?

Hi @chsims1,

I’m sorry, as I scrolled down directly, I did not notice this (while I was primarily working).
I have uploaded a new Log.
I did the restart and first thing tried, was to play a File from my Nas

Are you adding your entire music collection to the queue? Can you select a single track & see if it plays ok?

Can you also remove this zipped file from your collection:

info: URI /mnt/NAS/Musikbunker/Bud Spencer & Terence Hill - Lalalalalala (High Level Bootleg).zip
1 Like

No I just want to play one single File:

I always klicked on this Play-Button, to play a single file.
And as said earlier, when I use the three dots on a file and say “add to queue”, I can successfully play the Title.
It just don’t work, when I click the Play-Button or Song in List directly.

Why did you ask to remove the Zip-File?

There is something odd happening. When you click on your “Play-Button” your device doesn’t seem to just add a single track to the queue. You end up with an enormous log of adding stuff to the queue. Have you looked at the queue after adding “a single track”? You also seem to have a number of non-audio files (including your zipped file) and playlists there. Mpd can sometimes be rather particular about the file types in the music library. Mpd is also complaining about “unknown directory” … this could again be related to library content. Can you see all your music files ok, if you look at your “Music Library” (as a source) … another possible reason for “unknown directory”?

That is why I opened this Thread :wink:
Because even after the Upgrade from Vol2 to Volumio3 (which says it does a Factory reset) this error still occures.
The thing is, I did not change any contents of my Music Library (even the ZIP Files were stored a long time ago)

This is the point… I can’t as the GUI gets unresponsive and reboots after a while.
And when I take a look after the restart, the queue is empty.

If you have an available sd card, why not do a completely fresh installation. Don’t add anything other than your NAS, and see if normal behaviour is seen? If that works, then we can go from there.

So @chsims1, now I had the time to do a clean install.
I did not install any plugins. Just install, setup and add the NAS as the Source.
I still get the same behaviour:
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/2BlYhv8.html

I just noticed, that the behaviour just occur when I try to play from the Music Library directly. If I select Songs from a Playlist it works just fine.

I don’t know what the problem is, but I do think that it is related to your audio library. You appear to have lots of stuff there which doesn’t look like audio files. You have “recycle bin” stuff, which is a Windows artefact. The only potential solution that I can offer is to reintroduce your library material in a controlled manner, bit by bit, not adding non-audio files (get rid of all the zips & recycle-bin stuff), and rescan & test. Otherwise, it is a case of waiting for ideas from other Community members. Please do keep the thread updated though.

Hmm ok.
The thing, that bothers me, is that it worked two or three Versions prior, as I said, I did not change anything at my Library, except adding more Music.

I will try, to keep the Thread updated.

I just noticed the same odd behaviour when playing music from my Nas every time I want to play music from a directory containg a zip file (I often keep them after extraction)…