Anyway To pre-configure SD card for wpa_supplicant?

I have a Model A+ Raspberry Pi with a IQ Audio DAC+ installed on it; I have an Official Raspberry Pi Wifi Dongle plugged in; and I watched the boot sequence over HDMI.

Is there anyway (similar to newer ‘Raspbian’ images) that you can pre-copy a ‘wpa_supplicant.conf’ to the SD card prior to inserting into the Pi and booting ?

Or some other magic trick that I’m missing here !

BACKGROUND: why I want to be able to do this.

‘Hotspot’ method didn’t work for me.

I flashed the image “volumio-2.118-2017-03-07-pi.img” to an 8G Kingston SD card.

The automatic WiFi Hotspot came up (SSID: volumio): I attempted to connect to it with an Ipod Nano - using the password ‘volumio2’.
But the connection never completed: I don’t get an IP address and the ‘wifi’ icon never comes up.

I repeated the test from a Linux Laptop: same thing - the connection process initiates but I never get an IP address.

On the Volumio console I see this: (warning, manually transcribed from a picture I took):

[ ...]brcmfmac: brcmf_add_if: ERROR netdev:wlan0 already exists
[...] brcmfmac: brcmf_add_if: ignore IF event
[...] brcmfmac: power management disabled
[...] brcmfmac: power management disabled
[ ...]brcmfmac: brcmf_add_if: ERROR netdev:wlan0 already exists
[...] brcmfmac: brcmf_add_if: ignore IF event

I powered off my home WiFi and placed the connecting device really close to the Pi - this didn’t help.
So for me: this didn’t work.

No way of doing from the ‘console’ ? (or did I do something wrong ?)
I WAS able to login at the console (I swapped out the WiFi dongle for a keyboard dongle to do this).
But the filesystem appears to be full (100%); so I was unable to edit the ‘/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf’ file.
(this is because it is a ‘squash’ filesystem I think - perhaps Volumio had not got round to expanding the filesystem yet - it was sitting in ‘hotspot’ mode ?)

I tried moving the SD image to a Model B+ - with ethernet : SSH + MPD = GOOD - but no WEB Interface ?

I put the same SD image into a Model B+ instead; plugged in the Ethernet.
Volumio booted up - I could get to it on both ‘ssh’ - and ‘mpd’ (6600) was there (but I have no music on my SD card yet :frowning: ).
But I was not able to attach a browser to it ? There is nothing running on Port 80.
I still can’t modify the ‘wpa_supplicant.conf’ (100% filesystem issue still there).

I didn’t transfer the Pi DAC+ to the Model B; I was hoping that I could reconfigure that back on the Model A , once I had WiFi working.
But possibly that was an issue ?

(BTW: where are the logs for the operating system ? I checked /var/log : but didn’t find a ‘system’ log ?)

It’s not clear to me if you left your RPi A long enough after the initial flash to complete the installation process. You need to leave it a good 6-10 mins to complete, otherwise you may see a variety of problems.

Thanks for the reply: I left the Pi booted for at least 1/2 an hour I would say. (several times)
I just couldn’t get properly into the ‘hotspot’ it seems.

Further details: I left the first boot go ahead without doing anything at all on the Pi.
All I did was monitor for the ‘volumio’ hotspot using an iPod (initially, then tried a laptop) - I assumed (perhaps wrongly?) at this point the system was ready for me to start configuring it ?

Some other people have mentioned stuff about power management and WiFi dongles: considering the error message I get - could I be falling victim to something like that I wonder.