Allo DIgiOne review

Hello.
Just bought the Allo Digione a few days ago.I’m really impressed with it and I’d like to improve it with a better linear power supply.The standar PS it comes with the Digione is rated 5v 3A,question is:
can I use a 5v 2,5A DC linear power supply without risk?

Thank you all.

2.5A its fine

Thank you very much!

I’ve been using the Digione for one month now on a daily 3/4 hours basis and Damn that’s good!

I found incredible details I never heard in songs I kind of know by heart. I must admit I am really excited with this setup.
The best proof to me was that I started again to look for new music.

It sounds actually as amazing with flac files and 320kbps mp3 files, the web radios are awesome too when in HD.
It needs a little burn of hours before revealing it whole dimension.

The only drawback I see so far is a main volume quite high that makes my volume very loud if I exceed the level 12 on my amp. It has 60, and reaching 16 allows me to hear it clearly from 2 rooms away (yeah). But the clarity is perfect so It is not a real issue.

In conclusion Well played Allo, it worths every single euro I paid for it.

Oh and by the way, delivery in france was incredibly fast: ordered Thursday night, arrived on Monday.

Really nice, thanks Allo

Hello,
I have tested the volumio on raspberry 3 pi with 3 different digi card
I have used two different system for testing them
1° Apogee psx-100 mastering professional ad/da converter with krk reference monitor
2° audionote & metrum DAC with the Densen amplifier, Nagaoka D–37 speaker and all Kimber cable
I have powered the raspberry and Digione with a single linear power supply
toroidal transformer 10.000uF cap LM338 regulator
Allo digione is the best, the sound of the others cards is cheap, the coaxial out is ok
but the optical out is very low-fi
I have decide for the allo Digione is only digital card for My volumio system
After I have compared the little volumio + rasp pi 3+ allo Digione
with a very expansive music player/server,
volumio & Digione is better of player up to 1000€
with best player ( 2000/4000 €) the difference is very very little, I preferred
the Volumio, the sound is natural and the dimension is correct wide and depth.
Now the new work is to make a metal case for the hardware and listening a good music.
thank you at Volumio group and Allo
Riccardo
PS Cavolo che fatica scrivere in inglese !!!

Thx you for the kind words.

ALU case its on the way…we are waiting for the Chinese New Year to finish to start production.

On est la pour vous servir mon ami. :slight_smile: Merci a vous.

Looking forward. Even thou both the clear and black acrylic case looks nice.
An Aluminium case for my digiones will look good next to their respective connections. You better make the cases match the silver color of Nuprime / Nuforce…! :slight_smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everybody,

Being using Allo DigiOne for 2 months now (volumio as well) and I have to say sound quality is absolutely amazing. Allo has done a great job and the product seems to be very fair. I am using the default switching raspberry pi PSU, should I go for the ifi ipower or would the difference be insignificant.

Thanks
George

Hello all… why digione don t do 24bit output and only do 16bit or 32bit…?
The wolfson transceiver is 24 bit and most of the dac receivers also…
For me it doesn t make sense why it does not output is native bitdepth…
If my dac receiver is 24bit i want to feed it with 24bit not 16 or 32…

Enviado do meu SM-J500F através do Tapatalk

hi @pistollero

Digione input is I2S from raspberrypi. on playing 24bit audio data sending on 32bit/channel, means the audio data word length 24 bits only , remaining 8 bits will be blank.

Hello rkc.

When i use hifiberry dac pro i2s out i can choose 16bit, 24bit, 32bit on output bitdepth.

When i use allo digione or hfb digi pro i can only use 16bit or 32 bit…

If my receiver is 24 bit why i cannot send 24bit???

Theres something strange here… there must bee something wrong with the driver…
I know it plays with 32bit or 16bit but i dont fell its the correct way…

On i2s from hfb dac pro there are diferences between 16,24 , 32… in sound quality… 24 is better… 32 bit lacks bass and soundtage is thinner…

Even squeezebox touch spdif out works with 24 bit depth…

I dont understand why 24 bit is not supported by hardware… since WM8805 is 24 bit… so it must work and output 24bit…
I dont see any 32 bit on the datasheet…

Hi @pistollero

here the dac pro and digione codec drivers are different.
codec driver decides the supporting bit rates .

Digione using the original wm8804 codec driver.
here the 24bit audio data transferring to wm8805 with padding of remaining 8 bits.

Hello rkc,

I know they are different it works that way but the correct driver should work with 16, 32 and 24 bit also…

I can tell you the sound is different with all bit depths …
For example hfb dac pro with 24 bit sounds with correct timing and soundstage…and bass.
With 32 bit the sound is unbalanced. Arsh on highs, bass thinner and soundstage destroyed.
Most people says pcm5122 dont sound natural. I felt that too… but is because people are feeding 32bit i2s …

Is any possibility to rewrite the digione driver to work with 24 bit output?

You must listening care and i can assure you that you will find the differences in bit depth sound specially with hfb dac pro… or pcm 5122 dacs…

Enviado do meu SM-J500F através do Tapatalk

I am new to this very interesting thread … I own the DigiOne and I am very pleased with the sound … I want to ask if a better LPSU has point or if the difference is not very obvious given that the connection is through the rpi.

Thanx a lot and Allo keep up the impressive work you are doing!
(I am very interested for your KATANA project too!)

Anyone has any tip on those questions?

thanks!

A better powersupply can bring some improvement. The iFi or even better a lineair supply like from audiophonics or SBooster are good options.

I have seen a youtube review from Hans Beekhuyzen about the Allo Digione and about powersupplies and both can be very informative.

But also look at the powersockets, cables, order and cables. Sometimes changes the order of the powercables of the devices within the used powerbox can make a difference. Putting the powercable up-side-down can change the ground and help. Or just remove some powersupplies like noisy psu’s like telephone chargers or network switches, etc can already help.

What I am saying, that playing a bit with the power side of things can give you already some good results even before investing in a good lineair power supply.

As always, YMMV [emoji3]

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Will it be a Digione revision before you release Katana or don’t you have any plans so far?

We are fully concentrating on Katana and Nirvana

Thanks for speedy feedback … what is nirvana? never heard about it :frowning: