Album view not converting characters

Hi

I’m using Volumio 2.201 and I’m having an issue with the Album View not displaying album contents.

I’ve got two examples where I think the problem is that Album View doesn’t convert non-alphanumeric characters into hex codes properly. For example. when I try to look at Back in Black by AC/DC. I can see from the logs that it’s using the non-escaped version of “AC/DC”:

CURURI: albums://AC/DC/Back%20in%20Black

whereas when I look at the album through Artist View, then it uses the properly escaped version:

CURURI: artists://AC%2FDC/Back%20in%20Black

I’ve got another example which I think may be related to the same issue - but this time it happens through both Album and Artist view. I’ve got an album called 12" / 80’s / Dance and it doesn’t show any track listings. Both views just throw an error in the logs:

info: CURURI: albums://Various/12%22%20%2F%2080's%20%2F%20Dance Error: [5@0] {} Invalid unquoted character at MpdClient.receive (/volumio/app/plugins/music_service/mpd/lib/mpd.js:63:14) at Socket.<anonymous> (/volumio/app/plugins/music_service/mpd/lib/mpd.js:43:10) at emitOne (events.js:96:13) at Socket.emit (events.js:188:7) at readableAddChunk (_stream_readable.js:176:18) at Socket.Readable.push (_stream_readable.js:134:10) at Pipe.onread (net.js:548:20)
Could it be the apostrophe in 80’s that’s causing the issue?

EDIT: No, it’s not the apostrophe, because the album 80’s Soul Weekender works fine. Is there a way that I can find out exactly what is causing the “unquoted character” error - presumably it’s something in one of the album tracks?
EDIT 2: It’s the quote mark (%22) in the album title - first I removed the spaces in the title (so it became 12%22%2F80’s%2FDance), but that just gave another error (Space expected after closing ‘"’), so then I changed the album title to 12inch/80’s/Dance and it worked fine. It seems that there’s an error in the way that quote marks in album titles (but, curiously, not track titles - all titles on the album contain quote marks) are handled.

I’ve narrowed this down to two things, both in the file /volumio/app/plugins/music_service/mpd/index.js

• Firstly, the album/artist names, where they’re encoded, are encoded using nodetools.urlEncode - this doesn’t encode special characters like , / ? : @ & = + $ # because they’re valid parts of a URI. Instead, I’ve changed occurrences of this to encodeURIComponent, which does encode other special characters. Likewise, any occurrences of nodetools.urlDecode were changed to decodeURIComponent.
  • Secondly, in the function ControllerMpd.prototype.listAlbums, the album name is encoded, but not the artist name. So I added an extra line under “var codedAlbumName” (line 2616) and amended the album variable so it looks like:

var codedAlbumName = encodeURIComponent(albumName); var codedArtistName = encodeURIComponent(artistName); var album = {service:'mpd',type: 'folder', title: albumName, artist: artistName, albumart: self.getAlbumArt({artist:artistName,album:albumName}, undefined,'fa-dot-circle-o'), uri: 'albums://' + codedArtistName + '/' + codedAlbumName};

Both of these changes seem to have worked, and I can now browse my beloved AC/DC albums once more!

Good spot on this. It would be great if you could send us a PR, so this fix will be integrated in Volumio

PR raised, #1265