Album Art - What's going on???

This indicates an issue with your internet, or network settings of Volumio.
I mean… Google can’t be reached…

Sorry, you’re absolutely right.
Should have noticed the fail to google. Updated my post with the same.

Just read this thread. I use a Raspberry Pie with Kodi and was seriously looking at Volumio on an Ifi Zen Steamer but this album artwork issue is a deal breaker for me. Too much grief. I won’t be investing.

1 Like

Hi, note that the original post is 2.5 years old. This shouldn’t be an issue any more.

1 Like

OK so now it takes album artwork from the artwork embedded in the file ? Also Does Volumio have a party play feature ?

I believe that it looks in a few places. For me personally, I have an image with the name “cover.jpg” in every album folder and I have no art embedded in the files (it’s not efficient to embed the same artwork in 10-20 files when you can just use it once). Sorry, I can’t comment on embedded artwork. There is also a "Web Album Art’ feature which will try to retrieve the cover art online if it can’t be found locally.

Ok so you do have to copy in artwork ? I see this as entirely pointless which is why I’m thinking Volumio is inferior to Kodi. I have 100,000 tracks and I can’t be bothered to paste in artwork not least because you shouldn’t have to do that if the artwork is in the metadata of the audio file. Over many years I used a tag editor to ensure every file I have has album artwork and the correct titles.

It gets a lot worse than album art problems. A long while ago I posted a thread about how Volumio was taking an eon to boot up and be usable. I didn’t get ANY help whatsoever or any useful information from the creators, if I remember correctly their tone was dismissive at best. Then later on I was prompted to carry out an update and so I did and it flat broke the entire set up. So I started again with a fresh up to date image but it was back to extremely slow booting within a couple of boots. I am talking between five and ten minutes from applying power to the RPi, to having a fully booted and usable system. I never got to the bottom of this.
Then a few months ago, the system just spontaneously broke itself. One day things were working and the very next day it just wasn’t - no idea why. I could see my entire music library (which lives on a separate drive) but no matter what I tried nothing would play. No error message, it just refused to start any track I tried. I tried rebuilding/re-scanning the music drive but it made no difference. I had to start again with a fresh install.
I am therefore forced to conclude that this system has some very serious stability issues and isn’t really fit for purpose. In case anyone asks, I am using the official power supply, a good quality DAC hat etc. When I find a different OS that I like, I’ll be switching, there’s only so much faffing around I can tolerate.

2 Likes

@Quattrofoto I’m not sure that your issues are related to the album artwork on this thread. It sounds like you have a hardware/power/network/samba issue - not sure which. I don’t see any of the problems you describe on any of my Volumio systems. Since V3, everything is slicker and quicker.

If you look very carefully, you might be able to see that it was me who started this thread, my latest post was just my latest frustration with this software. I have been using Raspberry Pi’s since the very first model ever released, and am very familiar with them. I only ever use genuine power supplies as nothing else is worth the multitude of issues that non genuine ones often cause. The hardware involved is all good, no issues there, as is my network. And yes, I now have a fresh install of Version 3 and guess what - it doesn’t work properly, with ten minute boot times and album art issues exactly like what I posted about when I started this thread.

@Quattrofoto

The long boot time is already a strange thing.
You do use a class-10 sd card?
If you boot without the USB disk attached you still encounter these long boot times?

I only use Sandisk Ultra 16Gb cards for things like this. The hard disk is a WD 250 Gb unit with a special interface that was made specially for RPi - originally in 314 Gb only (get it) but then they released a 250 Gb version for some reason. Anyway, plugged in or not, there is no difference. I’ve run different operating systems on this exact Pi before and they’re fine - only Volumio has ever given me these problems, and it has done since day one even if I make a fresh image. It isn’t the only Pi that’s been like this - originally I was using a RPi 3b but upgraded it to a RPi 3b plus when they came out. Made no difference so it’s not the hardware.

1 Like

We are going off topic here, but I second what wheaten says: that does not seem a normal behaviour. Which makes me curious of what this is…

Can you send a log after the system successfully boots up? Then paste link here
See: How to send a log link for a bug report?

Re embedded albumarts: we had this feature, but we disabled it because we could never get it to work realiably (there were cases in which a 15MB image was embedded into the file, and other strange things). Now, MPD has recently released a new feature which could help us develop this.
Considering this, and the fact that we can read albumart image from files and retrieve from the web, this refactoring however is very low on our priority list.

1 Like

Back on topic.

For albums you can place the image as Folder or folder (jpg/png). herewith you force Volumio to use the cover-art in the folder. You can do this with kid3-cli. Scrip might need some modifications as it was written for Linux, or take a look at https://www.blisshq.com/
If you want to try this please make sure to first clear the album cache, to avoid weird covers on albums.

Volumio uses MusicBrainz to collect data, as example album Interstellar by Hans Zimmer is not known .
If you refer to the famous track from Interstellar it’s Our Destiny Lies Above Us.

Not everybody has albums. I for for one have thousands of songs and only 5 albums. I can save a cover in the album folder but the remaining random songs will be a hit or miss, more miss in my case. The file has the proper tags with proper names but volumio can’t find it on the web. Should I create a separate folder for each song so I can put the jpeg in it? All songs have the embedded art in the file but as it’s mentioned here volumio is not reading that.

It would be nice if volumio would read the embedded info, or at least give the user the option to turn it on or off.

You made me curious to check my own singles, of which I have only a few. There are some MP3 files with no embedded images, and these display cover art when I play them (for an obscure artist I see the artist image rather than the specific single cover art).

For the truly obscure tracks for which Volumio can’t find a match you have the option of creating a folder for the single with a cover.jpg image, so you can use your own selected art. The upside is that this puts you in full control of the image and its quality. (Remember not to exceed 1500x1500 pixels).

My Volumio 3 on an RPi is pretty much always displaying another song than the one that is actually playing. Usually it is off by 1 song, so Volumio is thinking it’s playing the song after the current song… If I look at volumio/dev it shows the same, so it’s clear the backend and the GUI are not in sync.

This has been an issue since like 2017? I’m surprised it hasn’t been resolved as it is a major flaw not being able to identify the song being played.

@volumio , please fix this. Album art not showing, I have to reset album art cache and reload regularly.

@sparky

You mean like in this bug report I submitted ? [3.512] Album ART & track info displays one track in front of whats playing

Can you add to the post with your logs etc.

It would be nice if this is sorted out, as its been happening for a good few years now.
Especially noticable now screens are cheap and so easy to add.