Adding a Mac SSD

I cannot mount an external SSD on my Mac.
The NAS IP address of my computer is : 192.168.1.50
The path is: Music SSD
I’ve tried both cifs and nfs
No joy.

What am I doing wrong?

Do you have any error message? Please also double check your input.

Also, what exactly is your use case? Usually one would have either a NAS or Router with an SSD attached via USB which can then be accessed via cifs or nfs out of the box. As these devices are meant of such use cases.

From my interpretation your use case is that you have an external SSD on your Mac which you want to connect to Volumio. Note you have to setup some things to be able to do this.

Could you please clear up if its the first or the second?

It’s the second. My external SSD is USB-C’d to a Mac Studio. The Volumio is loaded on a Raspberry Pi. The Pi and the Mac Studio are on the same Wi-Fi Network Orbi.
There aren’t any error messages.

The only error message I get is a red “x” under mounted.

As I understand, you attached an external drive to your Mac, and you want to make the drive accessible to other devices on the network (such as Volumio). You need to set up File Sharing as described here:

OK, that’s what I thought. Then you need to indeed set up some way of sharing via cifs or nfs . The easiest way on Mac would be to do what @metro mentions in his comment.

Let us know if it still doesn’t work.

Also see these instructions:

I just tried it and it worked for me, after some trial and error.

I put a thumbdrive on my Mac and shared a folder. The Mac sharing settings said that shared folders are under “smb://computer-name.lan”. On Volumio, I couldn’t get it to mount until I entered only “computer-name” in the NAS IP Address field.

I didn’t enter a userid/password but Volumio prompted me for them while mounting. The Volumio article said it is necessary to create a special fileshare user, but I used my regular Mac login without a problem. However, it’s probably a good idea to create a special user with limited computer privileges because Volumio isn’t secure and the saved login/password may be vulnerable.

Next, Volumio settings showed the shared folder as mounted, but I didn’t see it in the player Music Library. Finally, I rebooted Volumio and the shared folder showed up in the Music Library under “NAS”, and I was able to play music from it. In the end it worked, but the process and documentation needs improvement.

Hi - it’s a problem I had some time ago - it’s just a referencing thing in the fields - check out this thread I'm struggling to mount a shared folder on a Mac - #6 by PaulM or

It just needs IP address not smb address the Mac gives you. This means you need a fixed IP not assigned by DCHP.

Then just the name of the share folder not the folder path.

It’s so annoying that it’s hiding in plain sight! Any Mac users with same problem message me for further info if needed. A server error stops me uploading screenshots on this forum at moment.

I also don’t think you can have a space in the path name.

You can have spaces but you need to escape them as fstab entry
like:
//192.168.1.1/all folders/MUSIC - router
becomes:
//192.168.1.1/all\40folders/MUSIC\40-\40router