96khz on Volumio Tidal

This is not the first time for sure.
How can I get 96khz from Tidal?
It goes fine with 48khz/24bit but it is cleary it is downsampled on playback.
I have RPI4 with Volumio.
With Qubuz no problem with 192khz.
Why can I get 96KHz from Tidal?

You need a DAC with MQA support.

Ok thanks.
So if I will use more than 48khz from Tidal Tidal require MQA. Even to 192 and 384?
I have a Topping V70-velvet and it don’t have MQA support.

Then cancel Tidal and go with Qobuz.

1 Like

You can disable MQA from TIDAL settings in Volumio, and you will get the highest rate available on TIDAL

1 Like

I can’t find this Tidal setting in Volumio, only soundquality and search results (SW version 3.435).

@DED can you help him?

Yes I see the Tidal MQA setting in Volumia and disable it.
It don’t help. The new is it can deliver in 32bit!!

1 Like

It’s a bit dissapointing Tidal is so difficult to make work i Volumio.
Qobuz work perfect in any sample rates.

1 Like

Is Volumio planning and wouldn’t it be a good solution to implement software support for MQA in Volumio? … then you could play MQA on any dac connected to volumio using the full available quality …

I believe you have to pay for tidal to implement it, and I would suspect that it is payment per device using the technology.

1 Like

MQA only license on device level, not on SBC’s or open source software. So I guess you have your answer.

1 Like

Even if Volumio has the license to implement MQA, it can only do first-level unfolding in software. Roon, for example, does that. To get ‘full available quality’, you need to perform second-level unfolding which still requires hardware. If I were to get an MQA DAC, I might as well go for one that can perform both first and second-level unfolding (full MQA decoder) as opposed to just second-level (MQA renderer).

1 Like

Our policy as of now is to not support software unfolding.

@patrickkfkan. Thats right. An Gustard A26 is on the way to check MQA quality.
By the way as I see MQA it is a mp3 alike hires solution.It isn’t losles. I haven’t heard MQA material that is as good as native. There are some los of details. It is even messured.

2 Likes

It all depends on track and reference to the none MQA one.
My main concern with Tidal is, that they use special master files to gain full benefits for MQA. So If you don’t have a MQA capable DAC, you can only play an altered lossy Master file. Which IMHO bypasses the bit perfect principle and for me a no-go.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your answers and thorough analysis :slight_smile:

I just ger a Gustard A26 and yes tidal now deliver more than 48khz but only in MQA encoding !!!
And when I compare with Qobuz there is Sound difference and not in tidals advance.
Native data is best.

i’ve stated before Tidal MQA is just a hype.
Some tracks might sound better, some don’t.
Hence I would advise Qobuz.