Youtube playback with different approach

According to what is reported in the other Youtube thread, Youtube plugins will not work because Google will not grant certificates for devices that don’t show video. It’s a pity, because according to me Youtube playback it’s the last feature I miss for having the “definitive player”.

I am using this app on Android for quite some time, it works fine with Youtube and it’s FOSS

f-droid.org/en/packages/org.schabi.newpipe/

from the description of the APP:

@Volumio team: do you think a similar approach could be used for a new Youtube plugin?

2 Likes

I would LOVE support for YT Music. It’s the one music service I subscribe to outside Volumio and would love to be able to use it properly in Volumio3.

I came across this very nice thing: https://github.com/LuanRT/YouTube.js which supports the InnerTube stuff (logins etc). Something to use?

It’s an awesome library, but the current version is not very complete. v2 will be much more comprehensive with things such as search continuations. Will look into the possibility of a YT Music plugin when v2 of the library is officially released.

2 Likes

Awesome news Sir! Appreciate it a ton.

I wasn’t aware it was so stripped down in its current version but sounds like you know it well already :slight_smile:

Thanks again for your awesome efforts Patrick!