X86 screen rotate problem

very basic, you’ve bought the wrong screen in combination with the hardware and operating system. Volumio is a headless (no monitor, no keyboard, no mouse) console application.

See it like this. You bought yourself a boat (screen) while you live in the desert. (hardware/OS). Both are fine, but you won’t be able to sail.

that s right. I bought a pi4 and it will be better than pc for screen…

in combination with Volumio, sure. you can simply make use of teh plugin from gvolt. Touch Display.

Rotation is a standard x86 kiosk option, works fine here with

sudo xrandr -d :0 -o left         (or right, whatever)

You can also create an xorg configuration which will make it fix for startup.
Should be plenty of people here to help with that.

1 Like

that did the trick, we tried the -display option… thanks!

I’ll go the easy way :slight_smile:

Sort out which command gives you the correct output. Make sure if the first doesn’t give you the desired result, always perform sudo xrandr -d :0 -o normal first, before running the next command.

• 90 deg sudo xrandr -d :0 -o right
  • 180 deg sudo xrandr -d :0 -o inverted
  • 270 deg sudo xrandr -d :0 -o left
  • 0 deg sudo xrandr -d :0 -o normal

then execute the following command:

• sudo nano /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45custom_xrandr-settings
    copy the command that gave the correct result from above test

• Press CTRL+O, CTRL+X

• sudo reboot

Screen should be in the correct layout.

thank you so much i will try it and let you know

1 Like

Thanks for everyone my problem is just solved now :blush::blush::blush: thank for your supports :heart:

Special thanks to gkkpch , as I would have never expect to use -d as the xrandr manual says to use -display, not -d

--display would have been correct, as with a lot of parameters. -- for the verbose param name, - for the shortcut

1 Like

we did, sudo xrandr --display :0 … , but we kept getting “can’t open display”

really? I don’t believe that at all. Try
sudo xrandr --display :0 -o left

I don’t read a lot here anymore (and comment even less), must have missed your rotate version.

1 Like

Play now plugin is amazing for x86, it allowed change of all screen text and picture options

wtf,…
I have to admit I did a fresh install today as I tweaked to much settings, loading a desktop over volumio. for what ever reason, the command don’t error out. Even the command sudo xrandr --display :0 --query, didn’t work yesterday.
And we didn’t get to the rotate part yesterday, first tried to get info on what was connected where, in case we needed to make a xorg.conf.

You see, we can’t miss your support. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure what I like most, the plugin or the cover :rofl:

1 Like

Wheaten loves blonds…jane blonds… :rofl:

1 Like

I was referring to the album title???
And after 10 minutes… I get the joke. pfffffff
But for sure I’m not going to shake her.

1 Like

No thank you, I’ll stick to reading once-in-a-while and comment only when it might be useful :slight_smile:

Wrong screen size to judge properly :wink:

On a serious note: there is a CAPPEDRES parameter in /opt/volumiokiosk.sh (and the corresponding handling of it), which could perhaps be used for a custom screen size.
I introduced and tested it to reduce a macbook screen to 1920x1080, it can also be used to limit a 4K TV screen for it to become reasonable.
Whether this will also work with this 1980x480 screen to avoid sort of warped images?? Worth a try.

Just my my last 2 cents worth, problem appears to be solved.

1 Like

thanks for the info, appriciated

Was looking at it, but focused on openbox-session & /usr/bin/chromium, to see if there where options to rotate the kiosk.

But indeed, problems are solved.

1 Like