X86 Hardware issues (WiFi, DAC, Disks, Boot etc.)

Are you sure we are talking about the same thing? You want to use an M-Audio Fasttrack to feed a Volumio setup with audio?
Can you repeat the log for the M-Audio?
Edit
Did you use mic-in on your intel atom box? If so, did you use amixer to enable and raise volume levels?

Hi
I have just installed Volumio 3 on my intel Nuc.
I cannot find spotify plug-in.
I only find spotify connect.
If I active it I can control my volumio device via spotify connect but I cannot edit the queue.
Can someone help me?

1 Like

I need logs , refer to the (relocated) top post and let us know the info we need.

I made a few tests today. In the same box, I installed the Volumio 2.9 with a generic USB audio card and worked fine. Here is the logs: http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/XA5l7Om.html

Now I loaded the version 3 with, same hardware, nothing changed and the audio input did not work. Here is the log: http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/ZPmL8Hv.html

I checked the mic volume at AlsaMixer and looks good.

I also enable the live log and selected the analog input at the web interface, and found some strange errors, what do you think?

Thanks a lot.

Starting Live Log...
pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
info: Log sent successfully, reply: {"status":"OK","link":"http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/ZPmL8Hv.html"}
info: CoreCommandRouter::volumioGetState
info: Listing playlists
info: CALLMETHOD: system_controller system enableLiveLog true
info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: system , enableLiveLog
info: Launching a new LiveLog session
info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: webradio , handleBrowseUri
info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: smart_inputs , handleBrowseUri
info: Disabiling Audio Input 0
error: Failed to execute browseSource: TypeError: Cannot read property 'then' of undefined
volumio : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/systemctl stop audioinput.service
info: Successfully Stopped Audio Input
info: CoreCommandRouter::servicePushState
info: CoreStateMachine::pushState
info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: volumiodiscovery , saveDeviceInfo
info: CoreCommandRouter::volumioPushState
info: CorePlayQueue::getTrack 0
info: Received update from a service different from the one supposed to be playing music. Skipping notification.Current webradio Received smart_inputs
info: CoreCommandRouter::volumiosetSourceActivempd
info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: my_music , getDisabledSources
Cannot find translation for sourceMedia Servers
Cannot find translation for sourceGeneric USB Audio Device
Cannot find translation for sourcebytcr-rt5651
info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: smart_inputs , handleBrowseUri
info: Unsetting Volatile before setting PC Input
info: Disabiling Audio Input
info: CoreCommandRouter::volumioStop
info: CoreStateMachine::stop
info: CoreStateMachine::setConsumeUpdateService undefined
info: CoreStateMachine::stPlaybackTimer
info: CoreStateMachine::updateTrackBlock
info: CorePlayQueue::getTrackBlock
info: CoreStateMachine::serviceStop
info: CoreCommandRouter::serviceStop
info: [1637191452399] ControllerWebradio::stop
volumio : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/systemctl stop audioinput.service
error: Failed to execute browseSource: TypeError: Cannot read property 'then' of undefined
info: sendMpdCommand stop took 5 milliseconds
info: Successfully Stopped Audio Input
info: Enabling Audio Input 0
volumio : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/systemctl restart audioinput.service
Started Audio Input Service.
info: Successfully Started Audio Input
info: Notifying AUDIO INPUT
info: CoreStateMachine::setConsumeUpdateService undefined
info: Received update from a service different from the one supposed to be playing music. Skipping notification.Current webradio Received smart_inputs
info: CoreCommandRouter::volumiosetSourceActiveaudio_input/0
info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: my_music , getDisabledSources
Cannot find translation for sourceMedia Servers
Cannot find translation for sourceGeneric USB Audio Device
Cannot find translation for sourcebytcr-rt5651
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1822:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
/usr/bin/sox FAIL formats: can't open output file `plughw:volumio,0': snd_pcm_open error: No such device
audioinput.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=2/INVALIDARGUMENT
audioinput.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

@volumio, can you have a look at this (“audio in” as we discussed)

I have a thumbdrive I was able to use to get volumio working on a Dell Wyse 5010 and it was great. I then ordered a 3040 in order to get lower power consumption (5W vs 15W). The v2 thumbdrive doesn’t work in the 3040 at all (doesn’t recognize any soundcard) so I downloaded the 3 beta and put it on a thumbdrive as well.

The GUI gives me the choice between cht-bsw-rt5672, HDMI0, HDMI1, HDMI2. So I selected the cht-bsw-rt5672 and when I try and play anything I see an error message like:

Failed to open "alsa" (alsa): Error opening ASLA device "volumio": snd_pcm_hw_params() failed: Invalid argument

I was able to find this interesting alsa log while searching for “cht-bsw-rt5672”
https://github.com/plbossart/UCM/files/2346211/alsa-info.htERmx8k7T.txt

I tried to upload the results of alsa-info but I guess I’m too new to be allowed to upload.

I’ve read the whole thread and found the volumio_hda_intel_tweak.sh and I was thinking about attempting that just to see if it would help but I’m not entirely sure what string I should include. It seems like a realtek 5672 but I’m not entirely sure. It’s not obvious to me how to map whatever strings are showing up in these various aplay/amixer commands to what you put in the tweak script.

1 Like

sorry, we can’t help you without more info. No idea how a Dell 3040 is configurated. Please post the necessary information after reading the opening post.

1 Like

Hey thanks for the reply! Sorry, you’re right I didn’t read the instructions very well.

I am using version Volumiobuster-3.150-2021-11-19-x86_amd64.img
Here is my log file: http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/oPngOyF.html
lspci / inxi logs:

/\_ \                        __
         __  __    ___\//\ \    __  __    ___ ___ /\_\    ___
        /\ \/\ \  / __`\\ \ \  /\ \/\ \ /' __` __`\/\ \  / __`\
        \ \ \_/ |/\ \L\ \\_\ \_\ \ \_\ \/\ \/\ \/\ \ \ \/\ \L\ \
         \ \___/ \ \____//\____\\ \____/\ \_\ \_\ \_\ \_\ \____/
          \/__/   \/___/ \/____/ \/___/  \/_/\/_/\/_/\/_/\/___/

Free Audiophile Linux Music Player - Version 3.0

© 2015-2021 Michelangelo Guarise - Volumio Team - Volumio.org

Volumio Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Welcome to Volumio for x86_64 (5.10.70 x86_64)
volumio@shop:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series SoC Transaction Register (rev 36)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCI Configuration Registers (rev 36)
00:0b.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Power Management Controller (rev 36)
00:11.0 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series SDIO Controller (rev 36)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series USB xHCI Controller (rev 36)
00:1a.0 Encryption controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Trusted Execution Engine (rev 36)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCI Express Port #1 (rev 36)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCU (rev 36)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
volumio@shop:~$ inxi -Fxxxz
System:    Host: shop.volumio Kernel: 5.10.70 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A Console: tty 0 dm: N/A 
           Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) 
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: Dell product: Wyse 3040 Thin Client v: N/A serial: <filter> Chassis: 
           type: 3 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Dell model: Cherry Trail CR v: A01 serial: <filter> UEFI: Dell v: 1.2.3 date: 11/07/2017 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Atom x5-Z8350 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Airmont rev: 4 
           L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 11520 
           Speed: 575 MHz min/max: 480/1920 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 480 2: 682 3: 794 4: 1047 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCI Configuration 
           Registers 
           vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:22b0 
           Display: tty server: X.org 1.20.4 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa tty: 110x28 
           Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing. 
Audio:     Device-1: cht-bsw-rt5672 driver: cht-bsw-rt5672 message: bus/chip ids unavailable 
           Device-2: Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audio driver: HdmiLpeAudio message: bus/chip ids unavailable 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.10.70 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Dell driver: r8169 
           v: kernel port: e000 bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8168 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 21.93 GiB used: 903.4 MiB (4.0%) 
           ID-1: /dev/mmcblk1 model: H8G4a size: 7.28 GiB serial: <filter> rev: 0x8 scheme: GPT 
           ID-2: /dev/sda type: USB model: USB DISK 2.0 size: 14.65 GiB serial: <filter> rev: PMAP 
           scheme: GPT 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 10.77 GiB used: 63.7 MiB (0.6%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102 
           ID-2: /boot size: 170.8 MiB used: 57.8 MiB (33.8%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/sda1 
Sensors:   Missing: Required tool sensors not installed. Check --recommends 
Info:      Processes: 165 Uptime: 5m Memory: 1.86 GiB used: 430.0 MiB (22.6%) Init: systemd v: 241 
           runlevel: 5 default: 2 Compilers: gcc: N/A Shell: bash v: 5.0.3 running in: tty 0 (SSH) 
           inxi: 3.0.32 
volumio@shop:~$ 

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can do to help!

Thanks for the info, you are the first one to report use of the realtek rt5670/ rt5672 codec which is obviously not fully supported yet. The amixer commands to setup routing are missing. I will try to fix that this week but need your help to test it.

This would not be the right place, it is a cherrytrail audio device, cherrytrail and baytrail audio devices are a bit special as they use Alsa UCM, which is still a bit WIP for Volumio. But we’re working on it, rt5670/72 are just 2 new puzzle pieces to put in place.

Edit
Please edit the cherrytrail/baytrail init script

sudo nano /usr/local/bin/bytcr_init.sh

replace string

bytcr-rt5640)

by

bytcr-rt5640 | cht-bsw-rt5672)

In case the above works, you could play with both speaker and headphone output, using the following commands

/usr/bin/alsaucm -c cht-bsw-rt5672 set _verb HiFi set _enadev Speaker
 /usr/bin/alsaucm -c cht-bsw-rt5672 set _verb HiFi set _enadev Headphones

This fix in bytcr_init.sh is not complete for rt5672, but it should at least give you first output over speaker/headphone.
Automatic switching between headphones and speaker (=lineout) will be done in a next step
It needs additional changes in another script which currently works for rt5640, but needs an extension for rt5672.

I just gave that a try, with what might be called less than success:

volumio@shop:~$  /usr/bin/alsaucm -c cht-bsw-rt5672 set _verb HiFi set _enadev Headphones
ALSA lib utils.c:63:(uc_mgr_config_load) could not open configuration file /usr/share/alsa/ucm/cht-bsw-rt5672/cht-bsw-rt5672.conf
ALSA lib parser.c:1425:(load_master_config) error: could not parse configuration for card cht-bsw-rt5672
ALSA lib utils.c:63:(uc_mgr_config_load) could not open configuration file /usr/share/alsa/ucm/cht-bsw-rt5672/cht-bsw-rt5672.conf
ALSA lib parser.c:1425:(load_master_config) error: could not parse configuration for card cht-bsw-rt5672
ALSA lib main.c:946:(snd_use_case_mgr_open) error: failed to import cht-bsw-rt5672 use case configuration -2
/usr/bin/alsaucm: error failed to open sound card cht-bsw-rt5672: No such file or directory
volumio@shop:~$ 

Looking at your advice above I thought “hey maybe I can figure this out” and tried to make a few changes to bring that about. I don’t think it worked.

volumio@shop:/usr/share/alsa/ucm$ sudo cp -R chtrt5650 cht-bsw-rt5672
[sudo] password for volumio: 
volumio@shop:/usr/share/alsa/ucm$ ls
ASUSTeKCOMPUTERINC.-T100HAN-1.0-T100HAN  bytcr-rt5640-mono-spk-in1-mic             bytcr-rt5651-stereo-spk-in12-mic        DAISY-I2S                                    PandaBoardES
broadwell-rt286                          bytcr-rt5640-mono-spk-in3-mic             bytcr-rt5651-stereo-spk-in1-mic         DB410c                                       PAZ00
broxton-rt298                            bytcr-rt5640-stereo-spk-dmic1-mic         bytcr-rt5651-stereo-spk-in2-mic         Dell-WD15-Dock                               PIPO-W2S-Defaultstring-CherryTrailCR
bytcht-es8316                            bytcr-rt5640-stereo-spk-in1-mic           cht-bsw-rt5672                          GoogleNyan                                   platforms
bytcht-es8316-mono-spk-in1-mic           bytcr-rt5640-stereo-spk-in3-mic           chtnau8824                              gpd-win-pocket-rt5645                        SDP4430
bytcht-es8316-mono-spk-in2-mic           bytcr-rt5651                              chtrt5645                               HDAudio-Gigabyte-ALC1220DualCodecs           skylake-rt286
bytcht-es8316-stereo-spk-in1-mic         bytcr-rt5651-mono-spk-in1-mic             chtrt5645-mono-speaker-analog-mic       HDAudio-Lenovo-DualCodecs                    TECLAST-X80Pro-Defaultstring-CherryTrailCR
bytcht-es8316-stereo-spk-in2-mic         bytcr-rt5651-mono-spk-in2-mic             chtrt5650                               kblrt5660                                    tegraalc5632
bytcr-rt5640                             bytcr-rt5651-mono-spk-in2-mic-hp-swapped  codecs                                  LENOVO-80XF-LenovoMIIX320_10ICR-LNVNB161216  VEYRON-I2S
bytcr-rt5640-mono-spk-dmic1-mic          bytcr-rt5651-stereo-spk-dmic-mic          cube-i1_TF-Defaultstring-CherryTrailCR  PandaBoard
volumio@shop:/usr/share/alsa/ucm$ cd cht-bsw-rt5672/
volumio@shop:/usr/share/alsa/ucm/cht-bsw-rt5672$ ls
chtrt5650.conf  HiFi.conf
volumio@shop:/usr/share/alsa/ucm/cht-bsw-rt5672$ sudo cp chtrt5650.conf cht-bsw-rt5672.conf
volumio@shop:/usr/share/alsa/ucm/cht-bsw-rt5672$ /usr/bin/alsaucm -c cht-bsw-rt5672 set _verb HiFi set _enadev Headphones
ALSA lib main.c:432:(execute_sequence) unable to open ctl device 'hw:chtrt5650'
ALSA lib main.c:1712:(set_verb_user) error: failed to initialize new use case: HiFi
/usr/bin/alsaucm: error failed to set _verb=HiFi: No such device    
volumio@shop:/usr/share/alsa/ucm/cht-bsw-rt5672$ sudo vim cht-bsw-rt5672.conf 
volumio@shop:/usr/share/alsa/ucm/cht-bsw-rt5672$ /usr/bin/alsaucm -c cht-bsw-rt5672 set _verb HiFi set _enadev Headphones
ALSA lib main.c:432:(execute_sequence) unable to open ctl device 'hw:chtrt5650'
ALSA lib main.c:1712:(set_verb_user) error: failed to initialize new use case: HiFi
volumio@shop:/usr/share/alsa/ucm/cht-bsw-rt5672$ sed -i 's/hw:chtrt5650/hw:cht-bsw-rt5672/g' HiFi.conf 
sed: couldn't open temporary file ./sedqK4IvC: Permission denied
volumio@shop:/usr/share/alsa/ucm/cht-bsw-rt5672$ sudo sed -i 's/hw:chtrt5650/hw:cht-bsw-rt5672/g' HiFi.conf 
ALSA lib main.c:432:(execute_sequence) unable to open ctl device 'hw:cht-bsw-rt5672'
volumio@shop:/usr/share/alsa/ucm/cht-bsw-rt5672$ 

I didn’t really expect that whole approach would necessarily work but I’m also not seeing anything that looks like a clue that I can tune in to. I feel like I’ve hit a brick wall of not understanding.

Then I went looking for what the hardware might be more properly called, and also struck out:

volumio@shop:/dev/snd/by-path$ ls -l
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Nov 22 21:03 pci-0000:00:02.0-platform-hdmi-lpe-audio -> ../controlC1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Nov 22 21:03 platform-cht-bsw-rt5672 -> ../controlC0
volumio@shop:/dev/snd/by-path$ sudo sed -i 's/hw:cht-bsw-rt5672/hw:platform-cht-bsw-rt5672/g' /usr/share/alsa/ucm/cht-bsw-rt5672/HiFi.conf
volumio@shop:/dev/snd/by-path$ /usr/bin/alsaucm -c cht-bsw-rt5672 set _verb HiFi set _enadev Headphones
ALSA lib main.c:432:(execute_sequence) unable to open ctl device 'hw:platform-cht-bsw-rt5672'
volumio@shop:/dev/snd/by-path$ 

ah, that’s a bummer, sorry about that. I have a buster installation here and rt5672 is in it, but it seems not in your install. Can you check again tomorrow night after me giving you more info?
I need to figure this out during the day, there seems to be a codec missing in your ucm installation.
However, it looks likely we are not going make it to the official release (which seems eminent, time is running out), worst case this will come shortly afterwards with an additional post-releasevversion build.

Wish it was so easy😃
You could rename chtrt5650.conf to chtbswrt5672.conf, but doubt a little whether that works as I don’t know what the diff is with an rt5650.
I’d better have a good look at the ucm folder to see what went wrong.
Will let you know.

In fairness I did more than just copy the folder.

sudo cp -R chtrt5650 cht-bsw-rt5672
cd cht-bsw-rt5672/
sudo cp chtrt5650.conf cht-bsw-rt5672.conf
sudo sed -i 's/hw:chtrt5650/hw:cht-bsw-rt5672/g' HiFi.conf

I made a real effort to get things to line up approx. right, but even with that when I eventually tried to run the alsaucm command I still didn’t get a meaningful (to me) result:

ALSA lib main.c:432:(execute_sequence) unable to open ctl device 'hw:cht-bsw-rt5672'
volumio@shop:/usr/share/alsa/ucm/cht-bsw-rt5672$ 
1 Like

Could you unpack the attached zip file in the /usr/share/alsa/ucm folder please.
Then rerun your alsaucm command (preferrably after a reboot)

cht-bsw-rt5672.zip (2.2 KB)

OK I was able to unzip that, place it into the /usr/share/alsa/ucm folder and then reboot. After that I ran the alsaucm command for headphones and plugged a pair in. When I hit play in the UI I head music in the headphones, seemingly at 100% volume. I tried adjusting the volume which didn’t work but it’s great that it played!

I was also able to successfully select the cht-bsw-rt5672 from the settings UI and hit “save” and not receive an error. That was good.

Then I rebooted again and without changing any settings or running the alsaucm command I was able to hit play and get music out of the headphones. Volume control still didn’t do anything though and it seems to be at max volume.

Yes, there is more to be done, this is not the solution yet.
But good to know that the codec basically works.
We are still using the ucm file format with Buster, rt5672 is not supported by Debian.
It needs to be added during the build process, which is what I am now going to modify.
With Bullseye (hopefully soon next year) we will have all codecs installed automatically.
Then is is only a matter of activating them in bytcr-init.sh, with some feedback from users.
So, step 1 done, thanks for helping. I’ll let you know when there is a test image to work with.

Happy to help! Let me know if there’s anything else I can do. Looking forward to getting the support into the mainline.

1 Like

Last question, does your PC have headphones and speaker outputs?

1 Like

This particular device is a very, very small PC that I’m using because Raspberry Pis are so unavailable. It’s tiny. 4x USB, 2x DisplayPort, 1x 5V power in, 1x Ethernet, and 1x phone-style headphone jack that’ll do stereo audio and mic if you’ve got it.

2 Likes