WLAN connection looks like a swiss cheese

Ping to Pi B+ connected via Wlan looks like a swiss cheese, once Hifiberry Digi+ is installed.

Volumio 1.55
Pi Model B+
Hifiberry Digi+/Digi+ (Transf. Version)
Wlan Edimax EW-7811Un
Music Fidelity V90-DAC

The setup works like a charm, when I do not install the Hifiberry Digi+ on the Pi and ping the Pi via WLAN. Wlan works smoothly and stable.

But once I install the Hifiberry on the Pi board, the Pi is not always pingable - it looks very strange instead, like this:

C:\voo>ping 192.168.1.3 -t Ping wird ausgeführt für 192.168.1.3 mit 32 Bytes Daten: Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung. Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung. Antwort von 192.168.1.10: Zielhost nicht erreichbar. Antwort von 192.168.1.10: Zielhost nicht erreichbar. Antwort von 192.168.1.3: Bytes=32 Zeit=1798ms TTL=64 Antwort von 192.168.1.3: Bytes=32 Zeit=7ms TTL=64 Antwort von 192.168.1.3: Bytes=32 Zeit=7ms TTL=64 Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung. Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung. Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung. Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung. Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung. Antwort von 192.168.1.3: Bytes=32 Zeit=8ms TTL=64 Antwort von 192.168.1.3: Bytes=32 Zeit=7ms TTL=64 Antwort von 192.168.1.3: Bytes=32 Zeit=7ms TTL=64 Antwort von 192.168.1.3: Bytes=32 Zeit=7ms TTL=64 Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung. Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung. Antwort von 192.168.1.10: Zielhost nicht erreichbar. Antwort von 192.168.1.3: Bytes=32 Zeit=237ms TTL=64 Antwort von 192.168.1.3: Bytes=32 Zeit=6ms TTL=64 Antwort von 192.168.1.3: Bytes=32 Zeit=10ms TTL=64 Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung. Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung. Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.

Did anyone experience such problems? I even tried two Hifiberry Digi+ boards (Transformer Version/ non-Transformer-Version). Same effect. The Digi+ seems to disturb the Pi’s WLAN for some reason. The strange thing: the setup was working for a few days at the beginning.

it could be that your power adapter isnt strong enough to power all devices.

It could also be that the CPU is to busy to be able to do every thing fast enough. You could check this by ssh and monitor the command “top” that shows the cpu usage

Thanks for answering that fast.

I got a Pi 2 Model B at the corner shop today. The new setup consisting out of the new Pi + Digi works with the same power supply smoothly and I am very happy now.

I doubt that the old setup would have shown heaps of cpu consumption either, because it is a pretty common setup (volumio, Pi B+, HifiBerry Digi+), isn’t it?

I must have been the power adapter that I am using for the Pi, the Pi 2 might consume less or different… Or even the multiple plug where Pi, DAC, … are connected to. What do you think?

Usually, you do only experience such “esoteric” problems when there is a supply issue involved - but I keep on forgetting this fact.

I would be very pleased when you could answer the above questions.

Thanks again!

Yes it is a pretty common setup. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that the USB controller has changed from the Pi b+ to the b2. So it’s possible that it uses less cpu. But that’s just guessing on my part.

There are many problems with the power supply as the root cause. For instance, I can’t reboot my Pi because of SD corruption.