Wi-Fi connection sometimes lost

Hi,

my Raspberry Pi 3 with Volumio 2 is always on but sometimes it lost the wi-fi connection so I can not connect to it. I can only unplug the power and turn it on again. I have also added a monitor to look if there is any error. But the Raspberry is still running without an errors.
I have no idea if this is a problem with the Raspberry or Volumio. Would it help to use a external wi-fi stick? Has anybody else such a problem?

Hi D1675,
sounds a bit like my recent experiences: Occasional Crashes with Raspi 3B+, Allo Boss Setup

I think I found an answer to my question on how to preserve logs after a crash (although in my case I cannot distinguish between a crash and a lost wifi connection, as I realize now, since I’m running the pi headless)

In short: I’m copying the log contents on file change to the volumio home directory, which is permanent: Not good for the SD card, I guess, but good for post mortem analysis. The weird thing is: Since I set the log copying up, volumio never hung up like before. I still see the temporary lost wifi connections in the log every once in a while, but for a week now they reliably recover and I can log in via ssh over wifi.

I suspected a bad wlan connection, but the raspi reports a signal strength between -48 and -52 dbm, which I think should be sufficient. I’ll keep monitoring…

“The weird thing is: Since I set the log copying up, volumio never hung up like before.”

That makes me wonder if there’s a power saving or sleep function that was happening before.
I have exactly the same hardware and mine is on always, I’ve never experienced it disapearring.

I do not think it is a powersaving issue because I think the issue would happen always in the same time. But in my case it is randomly.

I have often read that the problem is a bad wifi driver. There was a plugin which check the wifi connection and if it was lost it has restarted the wifi driver.
But I have also read that Volumio has also that feature since a long time. But it does not work for me.

Now I try a static ip address outside the dhcp range.
If this is not working I will try with a lan cable.
At next step I will try an other operating system.
So I hope that I will find where is the problem.

The commercial streaming devices with built in Raspberries use always external wifi chips. Maybe because that reason.

Hey D1675,

Do you leave Ethernet switched on with no cable Attached?

This is the only way I could get Permanent wifi with no disconects.

hth

J