Why Tidal Connect cost CAD$87?

Clean is what I think every time I see the player. I like that.

You are right. Minimalistic design can always fit. Anyway, I like when it shines. :slight_smile:

The Integro will shine in the dark, it has an OLED display :joy:

1 Like

Thanks for you response, I really appreciate this.

Itā€™s getting better and itā€™s good that you focus more on QA during the release process. From what I would say, itā€™s not only making sure that release is stable but constantly also investing in fixing smaller, annoying bugs that are not critical for the overall operation of volumio but make the experience better and reduce the time needed for small workarounds. Just from memory I could give a list of examples that are small quirks I experienced and fixed by reading forum:

• Tidal disappearing from Sources after update, ā€œStart Free Trialā€ button. Workaround - you need to log out/ log in
  • ā€œPlay hereā€ not working after upgrade to Premium (spinning icon forever). Workaround: Disable/enable multi room
  • Listen to the radio, then pause/ stop, then run Tidal Connect song, disconnect Tidal Connect. You have radio station on your playlist but it canā€™t be played by Play button (it doesnā€™t react), you need to go to Sources ā†’ Radio etc. to play it. You can live with it but itā€™s irritating.
  • When using Tidal Connect, international characters are not displayed in song/album titles on Volumio UI, it works ok with using Tidal from sources

Probably I would be able to list a few more bugs like these from memory. They are not critical, user could live with them but sometimes they could consume precious time to workaround. Iā€™d really like Volumio to focus on these relatively small things so that it becomes bloody robust.

Good to hear this :slight_smile:

For now, Iā€™m giving Volumio a chance. If you ask about things I miss Iā€™d tell - UX, stability, focus on small bugs and eventually Iā€™d like to have a synchronized lyrics feature displayed on Volumio UI. It might be a niche requirement though and other people might have other desires :slight_smile: I built my own now playing screen with synced/not synced lyrics downloaded from Spotify and Genius in a hacky way.

Regards,
Dariusz

2 Likes

Thank you very much @Dariusz_Biskup , itā€™s always great to receive such detailed and informative feedback. This gives us good actionables for improvement.

Some of the point you mentioned are being worked on as we speak (since we are rewriting the TIDAL implementation)

Hello.

What was it on 27th of October? :slight_smile:

We initially planned the release of TIDAL Connect Hi-Res on 27th October, but we moved to 8th November in order to also release support for PI5 in one release

1 Like

Iā€™ll just post it in this thread now.
In my opinion, what bothers the thread creator and many others and even prevents them from switching to volumio is that the volumio team has a false idea of who their customers are and which customers they could be. This leaves a lot of potential customers out in the cold.
Changing the subscription model to just one (higher-priced) cost model may bring in higher revenues in the short term. But it is a huge hindrance to Volumioā€™s growth opportunities.
There are perhaps many users in this forum who use Volumioā€™s full potential, such as the interface (Manifest), various plugins such as Peppymeter with screen, Multiroom, local music etc. The majority of potential customers are not interested in these things! They want to use their streaming service like Tidal and Spotify and also their interfaces!
Volumio thinks that the majority of users listen to their local music via the Manifest UI. Maybe thatā€™s the case with the hard core that the subscription model forces on you. But it could also be different and appeal to a much larger number of users.
Volumio fishes in a lake where each fish knows the other. They donā€™t want to know anything about the sea
Why do I use Volumio? Only because of the Tidal integration. The interface of the new Manifest UI still looks outdated like 2 decades ago. I donā€™t have local music like most people do these days. Iā€™m a hi-fi enthusiast like most people here and use Volumio on my main system and not multirroom on my toilet.
I can understand that Volumio thinks that you can generate more revenue with paid plugins for hi-res streaming and I can also understand that Volumio doesnā€™t do it for free.
But a large proportion of people simply want a streamer and the current model is understandably frustrating.

2 Likes

Please get your facts correct, before starting ranting.

• The price lift worked in 2 directions. For some it went up and for others the price went down.
  • The manifest interface and plugins are free of charge. There are no paid plugins.
  • I expect you did a intensive poll that concluded that youā€™re the spokesman for ā€œall peopleā€?

As for sure youā€™re not talking for me.

4 Likes

I am wondering USB Audio player pro is a mobile software for Android devices which allow streaming to connected usb devices and has TIDAL QUOBAZ browser built in for several years. Per my knowledge it has a lower one time pricing and they keep supporting through changes throughout the ownership life. Unless I am wrong in stating facts how are they able to do this? I am exploring shifting to UAPP., the only downside is I have to use the USB interface of my DAC and will need to sit closer to the DAC or use a longer USB cable.

I think you are absolutely correct.

I only use the Tidal Connect integration. No need for all the bells and whistles. The price for that is absurd! I will be swithing to Wiim Mini or something like that for sure if this is the way Volumio wants to go.

If said poll would have been made, I am sure most of the ordinary users (like me and @poiy) are not here to answer it. They are too busy listening music with Tidal connect. And only that. Not using all the bs extra features that the majority does not need. There is no need for a poll. It can be reasoned with common sense.

Really have a hard time understanding peopleā€¦

To summarize:
You create an account, to express you donā€™t need the subscription and buy something else?

I think this is a very interesting discussion, we are open to feedbacks and criticismā€¦ Every time a customer or user speaks up, we are here to listen.

Please keep the feedbacks coming.

2 Likes

What kind of agreement did Volumio come to with Tidal to gain access to the Tidal Connect API?

That is not what this is about.

1 Like

As all streaming integration goes:

• Set up an SDK level agreement with the streaming service
  • Receive the SDK and implement it
  • Do the certification process as per their requirement
  • Release
  • Mantain the integration against future changes
3 Likes

Thanks. Did Tidal/Block Inc. give any indication as to why the connect feature is not open sourced? It seems kind of counter-productive to encouraging uptake.