Where did the Spotify connect plugin go?

Volumio 3 Issues?

Please see: Volumio 3 issues: hints and solutions before posting a new issue.
(You’ll need to cut and paste the link)

----------------------------- Delete here & above before posting below -----------------

Can only find the new (buggy) one, what happend to the old simple one? The one you could control directly from your iPhone.

It did exist right? Or am I dreaming?

It did exist, you’re not dreaming.

The used API was stopped by Spotify, so it will never work again.

Then what API are they using now??

Back then you only needed the Spotify app on your iPhone, and everything work more or less fine.

Now it’s just a mess :sleepy:

I believe Librespot.
Keep in mind that Volumio stepped in and delivered a replacement within 8 days.
Just being rude will not help. You might consider using some nuances.

I’m sorry, but it really shows! If you release a rushed patch fix in 8 days, then don’t remove the old working thing!

There were two Spotify plugins, one you only needed the app on your phone, and that was working fine.

The other was was the one that needed fixing?

Are you stupid mc fluffy?
API is killed by spotify so old one will never work again…
And it’s not a patch it’s a Total rewriten plug-in in 8 days.

Thanks to your gentle urges, I looked things up…

Apparently Spotify warned everyone way in advance that API would be killed… So the 8 days rush job was their own doing??

1 Like

Oh common, are you telling me they write their own API to Spotify in 8 days?? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :roll_eyes:

1 Like

They had to start from 0 again and made a new plug-in in 8 days be happy
For this it’s better than none.

1 Like

Ha. So there you go, no new API, “just” combining two old plugins, not easy work I agree. But yeah, sorry it’s a hack job and it shows…

What none, one plugin was broken out of two. Now one plug in is broken out of one.

So right now we have “none”

As I discover more, the more absurd it gets??

There were two Spotify plugins, one based on the dedicated API, and one based on some (cryptically named :face_with_hand_over_mouth: ) vollibrespot.

The new plugin uses this vollibrespot as well, but has a lot of bugs that the old one didn’t have. So if you rushed it and made it in 8 days, why remove the old working one?

Sorry, all the nuance in the world won’t let me wrap my head around this.

I will no longer respond to deafmans ears. Sleep tide mc fluffy
Write a better one if you can :stuck_out_tongue:
I will ask for it in 8days oké?

Sure man, you all keep jumping at this 8 days…

Meanwhile Spotify announced that they kill the API in 2015 … So they actually had how many years? :upside_down_face:

But what ever dev weren’t probably paying attention to Spotify’s warnings so it hit them " out of the blue", so great job you rushed somethIng in 8 days…

But don’t kill the other working plug in for this rush job…

Nah man, perhaps ask the guys who wrote the old one? I don’t remember their names…

If you don’t want to use it …that’s fine by me
If you can code even better love to see your nice coding.
If you can’t code don’t talk about the work they did in a few days.
It’s a lot of coding and testing to get it to work.
In time this plug-in will be better.
And volumio just switched to the buster so a lot of things had to be fixed or re-written they are after Months still buzy with that.
If you like to kick against something pick a big stone instead of them.
You can only hurt yourself instead of the hard working guys who do a lot in there spare time.

Talk about Deafmans ears…

I want to use the old working volspotconect plugin simple. Why remove it if the new one is not complete?

@balbuze I did some detective work - you wrote that working plugin, why did you remove it???

Let me explain something.
The new plugin is based on the same lib ‘vollibrespot’ a fork of librespot made by @ashthespy than Spotify connect 2.
So it is supposed to do the same thing+ local Spotify browsing (done by the previous deprecated Spotify plugin using spop.)
As the new plugin is doing the same thing than the two others, it is the reason this now the only one.
Unfortunately, this is not as smooth as expected…
Sorry for this…
The old plugin is still available for a manual install: volumio-plugins/plugins/music_service/volspotconnect2 at alsa_modular · balbuze/volumio-plugins · GitHub

1 Like

the plugin was developed by the community, as many other plugins.

Volumio team stepped in to provide a new plugin to allow user to get their functionality back, even if it’s not part of the Volumio core codebase

If it’s a “community developed plugin” and the Volumio them stepped in, great job :+1:… but you only need to read through posts like below to see why the sudden love for this “community developed” plugin… :roll_eyes: sorry let’s call it what it is. You guys have the Spotify logo on your landing page. Own it, or remove it.

Or if you replace a “community developed” plugin with a rush hack job… Then don’t just remove the working said “community developed” plugin?

Thanks to tips from @balbuze I now see I need to SSH and jump through other hoops to install what I could just click click and goo previously…