What will change with Volumio 3

Hello to all and congrats on the new version.
I run my installation on a PineA64 board. I enabled Test mode thus I upgraded it to ver. 2.916.
And it doesn’t update to 3.
What should I do to upgrade it to v.3?

1 Like

There is no Volumio 3 yet for any of the boards in the community portings category.
Some work has been completed, but there is still a lot to be done.
First beta versions were out (Odroids), but they are only for the brave ones.
Hope to do them all in Q1 2022, no preciser ETA I’m afraid.

The packages mentioned here:Volumio 3 RC1 - Open Beta Testing are not for this board?

No, Volumio 3 has been released for the three officially supported platforms, Raspberry PI, Asus Tinkerboard and X86.
This is following the normal process, community portings always come afterwards.

Based on the PI and Tinkerboard experience, the community portings will be done in a second stage.
Not by the Volumio Team but the community member which created support for the board.
Work on Odroids has started, the others will follow.
Ofc I can only speak for the ones I have done.

1 Like

Thank you very much for clarifying it

Will Volumio 3 resolve the sampling rate synchronization issue that leads to the beginning of tracks getting cut off on playback via digital outputs? As discussed here - @volumio any news on this? Hoping to buy new hardware and Volumio 3 subscription if this issue has been resolved!

OK, so after the dust has settled, both my Volumio V3 systems are up and running better than ever and talking to each other via multiroom.
A major upgrade where thousands of users have to re-install all their settings is never going to be easy, especially as so many may not have done a fresh install for a couple of years. I want to say thank you to the amazing folks at @volumio - V3 is worth all the trouble and really feels like a huge step forward. Plus a huge shout out to the wonderful plugin developers who have put so much effort into getting their much-loved plugins to work again.

5 Likes

Adding issues in the middle of a general topic may not be the best way to draw attention to a problem.
I added it to the open issue list nevertheless.

Thanks @gkkpch, I wasn’t sure if this was really an open issue for V3, and also where to best post it! Glad it’s being tracked, looking forward to hearing if the issue is resolved or not!

1 Like

You don’t say what your device is, but assuming RPi v2.917 can be found here.

Sorry, my fault not to mention it and thanks a lot for the link, it’s the right one.

Hi ! will start the upgrade by the end of the day…

i understood that settings/plugins will be wiped…but is there a way to at least import playlist or favorites?
(even if it requires updating files manually ?)

i see in my last 2.x save zip > in /data/playlist all my playlists as json objects.
if my network sources are configured the same, can i just reimport those files at the same place?

thanks !

yep.

With the group feature, how many different raspberry pi Volumio setups can be in a group? So far I have 3 but with adding two pi hats I can have 5 ( I have raspberry boards aplenty), is that possible to synch that many?

Yes, you can sync up to 6 devices

1 Like

Hey guys
Still enjoying Volumio… just wondering is there such a thing or algorithm to enable ‘radio mode’ on your own collection to play or automatically queue similar stuff?? Integration with Tidal and whichever plug ins would be great, although think that’s more of a roon thing?

Thanks!

ps. still finding it hard to get a various artists album to play more than the single track (if you search or various other navigating to the album, bit odd)

I just made an account to say: The subscription model is bad. I am happy to pay a reasonable one-time price, but yet another in the long line of “service” software is a total pass for me.

This is a very nice feature which is on our TODO list. As soon as we get the plugins store sorted (aka validate all plugins and improve the submission process) and fix all the urgent bugs, this is a nice candidate for us to work on.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I can understand your aversion for subscriptions, but this model (long story short) provides us with a revenue stream which is more predictable and more related to how well we work, so in the end you are getting a better product with this model compared to one-off payments.

Especially when you consider that running a service which constantly relies on online providers requires constant maintenance and updates, which would be very hard to factor in a one-timer.

1 Like

Thanks for that, I assume that’s how Roon works. An algorithm to continue playing similar things would be handy too (Tidal connect still does this, volumio is just the output device).

Still can’t seem to get VA albums to be recognised as the same album, and play more than the first track (unless you navigate specifically to it through the USB menus).