Waveshare 3.5inch RPi LCD (C) and Volumio

Dear all,
I have spent some time trying to make this little touch screen work with Volumio using the well-known plugin, without success.
Is there anybody who have some experience with this hardware and can suggest me how to proceed?
I searched the forum and found some talk about about a slightly different model, but I just couldn’t make it work anyway.

Thanks in advance
Gaetano

@gvolt can you try to help him with this?

Starting with a fresh Volumio 3 installation try the following:

1. Install the Touch Display plugin.

2. Download the display specific overlay:

wget https://github.com/waveshare/LCD-show/raw/master/waveshare35c-overlay.dtb

1. Copy the overlay to “/boot/overlays/waveshare35c.dtbo”:

sudo cp waveshare35c-overlay.dtb /boot/overlays/waveshare35c.dtbo

1. Open “boot/userconfig.txt”:

nano /boot/userconfig.txt

1. Add the following lines:
dtparam=spi=on
dtoverlay=waveshare35c

It could be necessary to add a rotation value to the overlay later on.

1. Save “/boot/userconfig.txt” by typing Ctrl+x then y and Enter.

2. Download “99-fbturbo.conf” with

sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/waveshare/LCD-show/master/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf -P /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d

1. Change the driver setting in “99-fbturbo.conf” from “fbturbo” to “fbdev”:

sudo sed 's/"fbturbo"/"fbdev"/' -i /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf

1. Reboot.

2. If the display should not have the orientation you are looking for, add a rotation parameter to the overlay in “/boot/userconfig.txt” so it looks something like this:

dtoverlay=waveshare35c:rotate=90

This would rotate the display (not touch) by 90 degrees clockwise.

1. Reboot once again.

2. If the display rotation appears to be correct now, check if the touch function is already properly aligned to the display. If this should not the be case try to find out by what amount touch has to be rotated. Then head over to the Touch Display plugin’s configuration page and set this value in the rotation setting.

3. Reboot and check if touch is properly aligned to the display now. It is possible that setting the rotation in the prior step does not suffice. This would be the case if the screen’s touch axes are inverted or swapped which is not uncommon on these kind of screens… Then you would have to find out how the axes are inverted or swapped to be able to find a correction.

It could also be that the touch function is not well calibrated. In that case additional steps would be necessary. I omitted these for now, in case calibration is good (enough).

1 Like

Hi,
Thank you for your time and support. I will surely try the steps above in very short and come back here to report.

G

Thank you @gvolt ! I am now able to display Volumio on the built-in screen and, after some trial and error with rotation, I am even able to interact with it.
I scaled down the interface so to display the album art, it is fine and cute, let me say. Any further suggestion will be the very welcome and, for the time being, thank you for your support

1 Like

Hello @gvolt and all, here I am again as I am afraid I need the above mentioned suggestion to calibrate the screen. It is quite hard to hit the buttons, especially in the sides and the corners. Any suggestion would be appreciated

Thank you in advance

Please try the following:

sudo apt-get -y install xserver-xorg-input-evdev

sudo cp /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/45-evdev.conf

sudo curl -L https://raw.githubusercontent.com/waveshare/LCD-show/master/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf-35c -o /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf

After that reboot.

1 Like

Simply great, thank you @gvolt . I had also to revert back the rotation setting in Volumio Plugin configuration. Now it is much better.

1 Like