Walnut Volumio Box with Buttons and Volume Knob

Finally finished my Volumio box!

This was all designed in Fusion 360 and the enclosure is made from walnut, cut out on a desktop CNC machine.

The buttons are made from polyurethane resin, cast into an acetal mould that was also machined on the CNC machine.

The volume knob is a walnut and polyurethane resin combo, with the wooden part CNC machined and the top resin part cast in a silicone mould.

The custom PCB includes a proper power on / off circuit, actually cutting power to the pi safely after Volumio shuts down. The on-off button is the pushbutton on the volume knob rotary encoder.

I’ve been thinking about this project for a couple of years, but decided to dive into it a few months ago. No idea how many hours went into it, but I’d guess it’s at least 200, mostly late at night!

This project involved 3D CAD design, electronic design, custom PCB design, programming (just tweaking the GPIO Buttons plugin), CNC toolpath programming, silicone mould making, casting, laser cutting and 3D printing.

Super pleased with how it came out! Thanks for the awesome Volumio software and thanks to the friendly folks on the forum who helped me get to grips with troubleshooting the GPIO buttons plugin!

11 Likes

That looks gorgeous, and love the attention to detail!

Looks like you also had a lot of fun and learnt lots of new tricks as well - hats off! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is a very fine one. Congrats !
One of the best button sets I have seen.

What 3D-Printer do you use?

I have a Prusa i3 MK2S, but the buttons weren’t printed. I machined a mould from acetal and cast polyurethane resin to it!
I incorporated a thin acetal backing plate into the casting as well because the resin alone was not springy enough.
The screws were just for pulling the part out of the mould - there is a 1.5° draft all round, but it’s still quite hard to release.

2 Likes

Thats a cool hack.
Thanks for sharing !
And once again we see: You’ll never be to old to learn something …

1 Like

where to find and how to instal this plugin for gpio buttons ? please share information or some link that will help with the installation of buttons

@Mariusz_Kruszyn

Please stop cross posting

That’s a really beautiful thing. Real craftsmanship and quality materials.

understand, sorry