Volumio2 NAS Configuration - Suggestions and developments

Following this discussion here: github.com/volumio/Volumio2-UI/pull/11

We thought to ask what fields you expect in configuring Network Attached Storage in Volumio 2. The goal is to have a flexible yet easy to use configuration.
Currently we have:

NAME -> Share Name
IP -> IP of the NAS

Mpasteur suggested we should have

NAME -> Friendly name or Alias of the mounted Share
PATH -> Share name and deeper paths (example: Flac/rips)
IP -> Share IP

I agree with Mpasteur suggestion, but we thought that it would be great to discuss together and find the best possible solution.

PS: For password protected shares and advanced configuration, there’s an advanced tab to tick .

What do you guys think?

I would agree - there should definitely be a “path” option for those of us who have more than music clogging up our attached storage. :slight_smile:

hi,

you should have seen this Sans titre.png
If you have “name on ip” it’s because PR 146 (for volumio2) is not merged

but as previously said i can easily show that Sans titre2.png

Vote is open :slight_smile:

Yes, I believe multiple shares/NAS is the way to go. And with this not losing a share when it isn’t available when you share music from your workstation that isn’t a 24x7 device. I don’t know the current state of this, since I personally don’t use it. But when used in a household every one could share there own music collection from there laptops and also take their laptops out.

Using this
NAME -> Friendly name or Alias of the mounted Share
PATH -> Share name and deeper paths (example: Flac/rips)
IP -> Share IP
Is way more clear to me than a name that’s also the path.

File system type could be a little bit to much. Most windows users just think “Share” and not that its a Samba share. You might want to put this under advanced.

Totally agree! I also like the visualization…

PS: One of my goals after the release is to implement a samba browser ( like what you get with smbclient -L) … That would be the definitive user friendliness…

Which one ?

you’re right but in my mind someone who use volumio is not an usal “just windows user” but to target a wider audience, according to your idea and waiting for michelangelo samba browser ( :slight_smile: ) we can maybe have an “automatic mode” where users juste have to set “\myhost\share_name”

WDYTOT ?

I merged it, and you were right (don’t know why but one of the two repo did not get the PR on my local git), to me it sounds right, just a trivial exchange of : with / and we could be fine for now. But if you guys want to dig more into it, that is very welcome…

For some reasons I have not been able to mount my Synology NAS with Volumio2.
I had no problem doing it on Volumio 1.55

I tired both NFS and CIFS but I could not get it to work.

I do not know what I am doing wrong or if it is a bug in the volumio2 alpha

I have the same problem and I’ve tried both NFS and CIFS. The mount is protected with a username and a password. In Volumio 1.55 I was able to mount using Samba (never tried anything else). I don’t find the Samba option in Volumio 2.

I’m running Volumio 2, version 0.839 on a Raspberry PI 2.

CIFS in Volumio 2 is what SMB/CIFS was in 1.55, in Volumio 2 the settings default to CIFS.
If you need to change this to NFS or when you need to enter a userid and password to access your NAS, then you need to use the advanced options (bottom left)
This is how I connect to a Synology DS415.

CIFS in Volumio 2 is what SMB/CIFS was in 1.55, in Volumio 2 the settings default to CIFS.
If you need to change this to NFS or when you need to enter a userid and password to access your NAS, then you need to use the advanced options (bottom left)
This is how I connect to a Synology DS415.

Thank you for the clarification. I also realize that I have spaces in the path, for example:
NAS address: 192.168.0.10
Path is: Top folder/My music/Lossless

Do I need to take care of the spaces in some way in Volumio 2 or is it the same as in Volumio 1.55?

I tried various settings to access my synology NAS.
With 1.55 I had no problem connecting but with volumio 2 I only see an empty folder.

My settings.
Alias : Nas Music
IP : 10.0.0.150
Path: /volume1/music/
fs Type: NFS

I set * in my NAS to give access to all devices on my home network over NFS.
I have no problem connecting to it with Kodi.

Then I also tired with ifs
Alias : Nas Music
IP : 10.0.0.150
Path: /music/
fs Type: cis
user: admin
pass: xxx

Still does not work and I do not know what I’m doing wrong.

Remove the leading / in path …
We should place some input control…

I’ve tried everything to connect to a WD My Cloud and it just won’t find the drive where 1.55 finds it with no problem

Has anyone found a solution to the trouble mounting NAS drives? Or if you no longer have the problem could you share what you did to get it to work?

Thanks

George

Hi!
Just to say that I have no to problem to mount my NAS, nfs or cifs, on two device.
But in my config I don’t use password…
Two screenshot with my config
nfs.png
cifs.png

My drive is connected to my router with access set for anyone on the network - yours too?

yes access for everyone, no password no special tweak… NAS : D-link DNS-320
Router :freebox v5 ( from Free a french internet provider)
I set a fixed ip adress for the NAS

Strange.

I entered in exactly the same way as in v 1.55 and it still gets a false in the “mounted” column.

Darn - I really like this version.

Maybe I can do it through SSH?