Volumio2 Development Introduction

Is anyone working on the I2S Driver? Would love to start using it but not if I can’t use my hifiberry with it.

Great job guys!

Hi,
if you want to test volumio2 with your DAC, just add /boot/config.txt

dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac
[/code] or [code]
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus

(choice depend fromyour DAC)
and in /etc/modules add #

#snd_bcm2835
And reboot
Warning : as the volume control won’t work the sound is 100%, so if you feed directly an amplifier…

Hello,
I also would like to try Volumio 2 with my Hifiberry Digi+. I tried to access the file using ssh to edit the files you mentioned but didn’t succeed without the password. I didn’t find this information on the forum as the chain password in the search engine is obviously forbidden :wink:

Use :
user “volumio”
password “volumio”

Thank you balbuze but I tried this with or without capital letters and nothing works…

– edit –

oops sorry I had tried root / volumio. I will try what you propose. Thanks !

Downloaded and was trying ver 2.0 (build 823) on the Pi 2 I use with 1.55 and is looking really good. Very responsive UI, not that the original was not.
Playing from USB and Via Airplay just works.

Although I noticed that if I change the name from “volumio” to “AIrPi” it showed up all lower case after a reboot in the GUI, however was still see by TuneBlade as “AirPi” when discovered.

I was unable to discover it as a DLNA / UPnP renderer, is this correct, I checked the UPnP module was complete, but no joy.

Cant wait for the I2S to be complete so I can use the HiFiBerry Amp+ and not the integrated Analogue Audio.
This will be the heart (or should I say the edges) of my whole house Audio System. Allowing each Room/Zone to be linked or individually controlled from the central Media Server, Airplay or Streaming Service.

Congrats on an awesome project. Technically awesome, easy to use, setup and integrate.

For Hifiberry Digi/Digi+, use

dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi

instead.

Hello. I’ve been using Beta 4 and I’m seeing something interesting. First of all, I am trying to use an Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC and then also a TPLINK TL-WN722N wifi adapter. Seems that if I have everything plugged in volumio starts up and then shuts itself right down. Seems to boot ok with just the DAC so I don’t think it’s happy about the wifi module.

hey,

I would like to know how I can start using the dev branch of Volumio on github.

I understand that you have to use the commands over ssh on the main page. But what is the boot system I use to start my raspberry pi 2?

Do I install raspbian on a sd card and start with that? Or are there better alternatives?

Hi !
You have to install the last available image rc1. Once the device is booted, from your computer SSH to it; SSH volumio@ipadress and password volumio. Then CD to /volumio. And git pull to use last commit on master branch. git checkout dev and [code]git pull[/code ]to use dev branch. …
But don’t forget it may not work or break your system…

Okay thx will try it out next week when I near my raspberry pi.

Didn’t thought that it was that simple.

Update

To confirm: it’s working and it is that simple.

ssh into volumio using putty

cd /volumio
git pull

and after that the files are updated. Added webradio station are saved.

Getting the hang out of github. :smiley:

Now I would like to make a change to the Wiki on github under setting up a Dev environment. I would like to add browse to local ip of volumio if you can’t find volumio under network shares (because I couldn’t find it) .

How do I make a pull request for the wiki?

Looked already in the code for a bug that I would like to squash but will first need to explore the architecture of volumio.

You can report bugs here github.com/volumio/Volumio2/issues

Only collaborators on Github can edit wiki pages, you can’t make pull requests to the Wiki. If you tell me what you wanted to change I can update it, if its something that should be added.

Hi. I’m interested in running Volumio2 and Owncloud at the same time in the same Pi 3. Is this really not possible? Can one install the “rest” of Debian above Volumio OS (or vice-versa)?

Being Pi3 a all-in-one-quite-powerful-small-thing, it’s a pity to limit the machine to just one purpose…

Hi There, I just issued a pull request for a couple of fixes to the Spotify plugin in Volumio2 and now am trying to set up a proper development environment. I have Webstorm running on my Mac, with an ssh tunnel to my Raspberry Pi redirecting the debug port 5858 and it appears to work.

The problem is when I kill the process running the Volumio backend (“usr/local/bind/node /volumio/index.js”) it starts back up immediately. This is stopping me from manually launching volumio in debug mode. Any idea how I can stop the restart?

Also, anyone else using Webstorm to remotely debug Volumio2 node.js code on a Pi have any setup tips?

From my ssh console and in /volumio folder, I do a killall node && node index.js to relaunch it with message displayed. Maybe there is a better command but I test my plugin like that

When I do that (with the --debug option added after node) another copy of node starts on index.js before my instance, so by the time my copy of node is running the other instance grabbed port 3000 and my copy dies. I just can’t figure out what is causing node to automatically restart after killing it.

The good news is I can see the Webstorm IDE is connecting to the RPi’s node process on the debugging port, and it looks like a great development environment.

If you kill node, it will automatically respawn.
The right procedure, if someone wants to start this in debug mode is:

sudo systemctl stop volumio.service 

After that you can start volumio in debug mode…

Thanks Michelangelo, that worked! Ok, since I just got Webstorm working for remote debugging, here’s a recap of what it took, while it’s fresh in my mind.

On the Raspberry Pi with Volumio 2 RC 2 Hotfix I think I did this:

cd /volumio
git checkout dev

Then on my Mac I made a new directory for debugging and in that directory did:

git clone github.com/volumio/Volumio2.git volumio
cd volumio
git checkout dev

After downloading Webstorm for the Mac I created a new project in the top level volumio folder. Then did a Run -> Edit Configurations and chose “Node.js Remote Debug”.

For Host I used 127.0.0.1 and defaulted the port to 5858.

Now the tricky part was setting up an SSH tunnel between my Mac and the Raspberry Pi for the debugging port of 5858 with this command in a terminal shell:

ssh -f volumio@10.0.1.111 -L 5858:localhost:5858 -N

10.0.1.111 was the IP address of the Pi on my local network.

Now on the Pi, kill node with:

sudo systemctl stop volumio.service

Start it up in debug mode with:

node --debug-brk /volumio/index.js

This will cause node to break on the first line of Volumio. Now in Webstorm on the Mac click on the green bug icon to continue execution of node on the Pi - you should see logging messages in the terminal window of the Pi. Amazingly, source code mapping works, so if you now set a breakpoint in any of the Volumio node.js code in Webstorm, when that line is executed you will see the debugging context, stack trace, etc. in Webstorm, and can then step through the code. Totally awesome!

Initially Webstorm wasn’t mapping the location of the breakpoints correctly to the files on my Mac, but that was fixed after I ensured I had the exact same file structure on both the Pi and Mac.

volumio becomes fat and heavy. how much RAM is recommended? I used to have old x86 version run with 1GB ram however it is impossible for the latest version. disappointed.