After a quick presetation in the relevant forum section, here I am to discuss the use of Volumio as an efficient media-center.
I bought my Raspi primarily to build an audiophile digital source to feed my DAC/pre (see hifi gear in signature). I haven’t recieved my Hifiberry Digi so I won’t comment on the audio quality just yet Currently, audio runs out of HDMI to the TV which feeds a poor TOSLINK signal to the DAC/pré
Volumio beta 1.1 works geat out of the box (adding NAS shares, choosing output…). Here are a few quirks I encountered:
- The MPD parser is stuck somewhere along the scan. Restarting MPD or the scanner removes from the library all the already scanned media of the share. I don’t have a solution yet for this. A bad TAG ??
- writing the image to a 8GB SD card resulted in a 2GB partition that I had to enlarge it with Gparted to make full use of it.
Seeing only 7-8% of CPU usage and no clicks & pops, I wondered if I could add XBMC to it.
Why not start with Raspbian or Raspbmc ? Well, I thought the work to get mpd working with the right configuration and emoving the crift and unnecessary things from Raspbian/bmc would be more difficult than just adding what I needed to Volumio.
I mostly followed this blog post, with a few modifications:
- Leaving the GPU with only 16MB or RAM resulted in a Segfault for XBMC, of course --> set to 128 in config.txt (I will try to reduce to 64MB if it makes a difference).
- I set XBMC to start on boot without a window manager (most ressource efficient way, so it seems). getting the mouse/keyboard to work involved the addition of an UDEV rule that is stlightly different from the one in the blog post. Here’s the line in the udev rules file:
- I set the niceness of the XBMC to 10 as it shouldn’t bother music playing.
- I bought the licenses from Raspberry Pi store
- at idle with the XBMC home screen displayed on the TV, xbmc process eats up to 60% of CPU. That’s a lot. I’ll see if I can get that down a little.
- h264 1080p decoding is pretty fluid and it’s nice to see that mpd doesn’t “steal” the audio out when it is idle. XBMC takes control of the audio device and releases it a couple of seconds after pressing “STOP”. So mpd and XBMC work well with each other. I hope it will stay the same when using Hifiberry Digi.
Next to do:
- test the power supply of the Pi with the back USB port of my Atoll ST200 streamer. Should be a cleaner power supply.
- get/solder/test the Digi !
- reduce XBMC CPU usage at idle
I would like to know if there is a major inconvenient in what I have done and/or if you have suggestions to improve the current setup