Volumio x86 RME HDSP9652 Alsa Error

I am reposting it because the post has been deleted???

Hello,

Today I installed Volumio on my Intel Atom htpc with an RME HDSP 9652 sound card, well known in audiophile circles.
The system can run flawlessly VoyageMPD + jack + Brutefir so I am sure the sound card works.

Volumio identifies correctly the card as “Hammerfal DSP” but when I try to play a wav file I get this error:

Error
Failed to open “alsa” [alsa]; Error
opening ALSA device “hw:0,0”;
snd_pcm_hw_params_set_access()
failed: Inalid argument

aplay -l output:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: DSP [Hammerfall DSP], device 0: RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652 [RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

speaker-test doesn’t produce any sound.

The file /etc/asound.conf is empty.

This is the error from the log:

Feb 12 20:32 : exception: Failed to read mixer for ‘alsa’: no such mixer control: PCM
Feb 12 20:32 : exception: Failed to open “alsa” [alsa]
Feb 12 20:32 : exception: nested: Error opening ALSA device “hw:0,0”
Feb 12 20:32 : exception: snd_pcm_hw_params_set_access() failed: Invalid argument
Feb 12 20:32 : exception: Failed to open “alsa” [alsa]
Feb 12 20:32 : exception: nested: Error opening ALSA device “hw:0,0”
Feb 12 20:32 : exception: snd_pcm_hw_params_set_access() failed: Invalid argument
Feb 12 20:32 : player: problems opening audio device while playing “USB/VARIOUS/Anastacia/Anastacia/01 - Seasons Change.wav”
Feb 12 20:41 : player: played “USB/VARIOUS/Anastacia/Anastacia/01 - Seasons Change.wav”
Feb 12 20:41 : exception: Failed to open “alsa” [alsa]
Feb 12 20:41 : exception: nested: Error opening ALSA device “hw:0,0”
Feb 12 20:41 : exception: snd_pcm_hw_params_set_access() failed: Invalid argument
Feb 12 20:41 : exception: Failed to open “alsa” [alsa]
Feb 12 20:41 : exception: nested: Error opening ALSA device “hw:0,0”
Feb 12 20:41 : exception: snd_pcm_hw_params_set_access() failed: Invalid argument

audio_output in mpd.conf:

audio_output {
type “alsa”
name “alsa”
device “hw:0,0”
dop “no”
}

Any hint? Thanks!

Sorry, we do not support this soundcard, it is way too specific for a generic volumio image.
You will have to add it manually, there are several websites with guidelines.

Thank you for your reply but I am a bit confused!

I am not a linux guy and I first apologize to you for my beginner questions, I don’t want to waste your time but I don’t really know what should I google for.

I explain: the card is seen by Volumio and listed with aplay -l. Doesn’t it mean that the right driver are already built in the kernel?
What are the files I should modify to make it works? if you can give me an hint I can google succesfully for it.

It’s days I am googling with queries like “Add unsupported card to Volumio x86” but I didn’t find anything useful.
I am using Voyage MPD now, v 0.11 with jackd and brutefir. Is there some file I can extract from it to make my card work with Volumio?

thanks

Nicola

Unfortunately in this case there is more to it than just the correct driver, the soundcard needs a specific setup, which we cannot supply with a generic X86 image.
Please google a little for RME HDSP9652 and linux installation, you will find a umber of references.

ok, I understand, thank you for the reply
Nicola