Volumio X86/ Debian Buster debugging party (BETA)

====================================================================================================

There’s no IP on the black screen, and you can’t access ssh from another PC.
The boot procedure does not seem to work.
The keyboard and mouse are powered down …
MBR / EFI option, after burning to USB with rufus.exe … at boot time.

For Lattapanda please supply lspci and aplay -l output, otherwise I have no idea where to start.
Automount usb flash has been corrected, will be in v 0.004

Could you try another distro (e.g. Ubuntu) and do lspci and post it here?
I fear, that we have issues with UEFI. Does H2 have a legacy boot option?
Did you try with secure boot disabled?

Edit:
Could you try to mount the first partition of the usb flash drive on some linux distro:

mkdir myboot sudo mount /dev/sd<x>1 myboot cd myboot rm /efi/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI cd .. sync sudo umount /dev/sdb1
It removes the 64-bit EFI bootloader, as on an Odroid H2 the 64-bit loader apparently can’t load a 32-bit kernel & OS (which Volumio has).
I’m not sure if it will select the 32-bit EFI version instead, this is worth a try.
Usually machines can use legacy boot for such a case instead, but the H2 does not have it.

Attention!! /dev/sdb1 from the snippet above of course is an example, please make sure that you use your USB stick’s device

New version av ailable

2020-02-26, version 0.005
volumiobuster-0.005-2020-02-26-x86

For details, refer to the opening post

This version played smoothly on INTEL NUC7CJYH. However, it cannot play M4A file. In the choice of output device, there are three options: Analog, SPDIF, HDMI. It is also convenient to announce that the recently updated 2,712 has not been played for NUC7CJYH. Thanks for the efforts of the administration team. It would be great if the upcoming update is complete for INTEL NUC7CJYH. Many thanks!

hello
version 5 boot, but no graphical display.
Laptop HUAWEI matebook D (rysen + vega)
my X.org log :
Xlog.zip (3.96 KB)

I cannot put this in generic code, while testing we realised that

amixer -c 0 set IEC958,0 mute
amixer -c 0 set 'IEC958 Default PCM',0 mute

disables HDMI output. It is not necessary, Volumio will set the playback device to the one you choose in “Playback Options”

amixer -c 0 set IEC958,16 unmute

is enough to enable SPDIF. Just tried in with HDA Intel PCH/ ALC892.
But I can add unused ports like surround/center/lfe if you wish, doing that for ALC892 as well.

Hi,
it appears that Kernel 4.19.y (used with Buster) does not support the VEGA GPU, the driver has to be installed manually.
This is very unfortunate, because we initially planned for Kernel 5.4.y. This one fails to boot on certain PCs for a yet unknown reason.
Long story short: there is nothing we can do at the moment, this configuration can only be supported headless atm.
You could try adding “nomodeset” to the kernel parameters in grub.cfg (look for the lines with “loglevel”).
Not sure if it will help to force a fallback to the old vesa driver.
Cheers - Gé

Oh ! I’m sorry. I didn’t pay attention to this.

I tested the last version (0.005), any returns :

• “auto” mount of USB (disk/ flash) devices activated : worked

• shairport-sync activated : worked

• OTA Updater activated : worked

• I have a problem with the display. This problem don’t concern me because I use only the “server” function. But after the boot, I have any seconds a white screen with a cursor mouse and then black or grey screen. The screen stay on this black or grey background. The cursor mouse isn’t visible on the black screen. No problem on the server interface (http).

• Any errors in the boot.log (just for information) :

[FAILED] Failed to start cd.service.
See ‘systemctl status cd.service’ for details.
[FAILED] Failed to start Xbindrc.
See ‘systemctl status xbindkeysrc.service’ for details.
[ 26.191191] rc.local[648]: cat: ‘//sys/class/sound/card0/hdaudio*/chip_name’: No such file or directory
[ 26.209140] rc.local[648]: /usr/local/bin/volumio_hda_intel_tweak.sh: line 9: [: ==: unary operator expected

The are any errors in your script. A proposition of corrections :

[code]#!/bin/bash

for card in /sys/class/sound/card*; do

chip=$(cat /$card/device/hdaudio*/chip_name)
acard=$(cat /proc/asound/cards | grep “$(cat $card/number) [$(cat $card/id)”)

if [[ $acard =~ “HDA Intel PCH” ]]; then
if [[ $chip =~ “ALC283” ]]; then
echo “Unmute / Mute SPDIF Output for the sound card”
echo “-----------------------------”
/usr/bin/amixer -c 0 set IEC958,0 mute
/usr/bin/amixer -c 0 set ‘IEC958 Default PCM’,0 mute
/usr/bin/amixer -c 0 set IEC958,16 unmute
fi
fi
done[/code]

• chip=$(cat /$card/device/hdaudio*/chip_name)

Just to correct with the good repository.

Warning, the values in the “chip” variable with my configuration is : “ALC283 Braswell HDMI”

• if [[ $chip =~ “ALC283” ]]; then

Just to correct the syntax error with add “[” and change the “==” to “=~”.

The “chip” values isn’t equal to “ALC283” but contains “ALC283”.

I don’t delete the lines mute the HDMI but I think you can delete it. Others users can use the HDMI output.

Thanks for your feedback.
I already have an updated script which parses data in a different way, this one seems to work with the ALC892 version I was referring to.
The current script is here https://github.com/volumio/Build/blob/a7a008e2345acb4f23291bc48c7551456c922c97/volumio/bin/volumio_hda_intel_tweak.sh#L1
This script is in version 0.006 you have used to test the OTA update (see runtime: /usr/local/bin)
The “final” version will be in 0.007, where the hardcoded card number (0) has been removed, so systems with multiple cards also work (tested on a system with onboard hda Intel and external nvidia hda soundcard).

We already explained many times why the current x86 will not work on newer hardware.
This is exactly the reason why we are building a completely new version with new kernel and firmware.

Please refer the M4A issue to the Help section, it appears to be an mpd issue and has no priority for the buster version testing at the moment.

OTA don’t worked. :frowning:

drive.google.com/file/d/1v173_e … sp=sharing

It works, don’t worry.
You probably did not put your system in test mode (your-ip/dev and press test button)

volumio@volumio:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series SoC Transaction Register (rev 36)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCI Configuration Registers (rev 36)
00:03.0 Multimedia controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Imaging Unit (rev 36)
00:0b.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Power Management Controller (rev 36)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series USB xHCI Controller (rev 36)
00:1a.0 Encryption controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Trusted Execution Engine (rev 36)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCU (rev 36)

This is Lettepanda 2 gb ram 32 gb emmc

Hdmi gui interface extremely slow …
It cant draw ful image of gui interface.
If press alt + f1 … console via hdmi work fine.

Ah, an Atom :unamused:, they are always a bit special and tricky because I can’t compare anymore :smiley:
Mine decided to die before I was able to play with it.

Please also

aplay -l

So my picture of your hardware is complete
Then please switch to http:///dev and transfer a bootlog with a description.
Please post the url you get in return.

Hi Folks,

it’s high time to say thank you.

gkkpch does a great job here! It’s quite normal facing compatibility problems and broken features that used to run for months properly. We’re on a development branch here. :wink: gkkpch is fast as lightning in responding to our test results and feedback. In the x86 world with its 1001 x 1001 hardware combinations it’s really hard to get all of them running at the same time. So serialisation and priorisation is crucial here.

I’m happy to help a bit giving feedback regarding my hardware. As a result of participating in the beta phases I was running a beta volumio here for over two years now on different hardware combinations. And it worked fine!

Starting last week with version 002 I updated to the latest beta 2020-02-27, version 0.007 volumiobuster-0.007-2020-02-27-x86 yesterday. The update via volumio using the “test” program coming from 006 (which I flashed manually) worked perfectly. So I’m enjoying improved stability and the new volumio UI as well now. This is thanks to the whole volumio team and michelangelo in the lead. So I’m looking forward to testing continuously volumio in the future.

By the way: I migrated successfully from HDMI to Toslink S/PDIF in combination with volumio beta version 006 and 007.

Respect and many thanks to gkkpch and michelangelo and the whole volumio team for providing this really enjoyable project!

Have fun! :stuck_out_tongue:
Robert

Hi,

a hint for all of you manually flashing a new volumio version and then attaching a huge pool of music files.

It takes volumio couple of hours to build up the musik library from scratch. During this phase you will probably face a very slow or even hanging UI, interrupting playback, etc. So don’t worry, let your system build the music library for a while. Once this is done, the system works fine, fast and responsive again without interrupts.

This is only relevant for the manual flash process via command line. If you do your update via UI the existing music library is saved and there’s no need for a rescan.

Kind Regards,
Robert

I play DSD128 (DSD direct) after about 20sec than I can hear a lot of noise, when I pause and play it will play normally, but after about 20sec it will have same issue. My volumio beta version is 0.007 and DAC chip is dual ES9038 pro.
Sorry my English is bad.

There will not be support without the info we ask for in the opening post.
Additional question, does this also happen when volume set to max (100%)?
Please also supply output from

lsusb