Volumio with Waveshare 4inch HDMI LCD

Hey,
today I tried to add the Waveshare 4" LCD to my setup (Rapsi3 +IQaudIO PI DAC+).
Wikipage for LCD: http://www.waveshare.com/wiki/4inch_HDMI_LCD

After I have appended the following lines

hdmi_group=2 hdmi_mode=87 hdmi_cvt 480 800 60 6 0 0 0 dtoverlay=ads7846,cs=1,penirq=25,penirq_pull=2,speed=50000,keep_vref_on=0,swapxy=0,pmax=255,xohms=150,xmin=200,xmax=3900,ymin=200,ymax=3900 display_rotate=3
to the config.txt and installed the touchscreen plugin it works rudimentary. I’m stuck at the moment and have some questions. Hope somebody can help me:

1. I’m using the Quad Dac+ so most of the Raspberry pins are already used. So I connected the LCD just over HDMI. Is there still a possibility to enable touch functionality?

2. It seems like the display only works for a few minutes. After that the screen goes black. Is this maybe some kind of power saving, since there are no touch intputs over the display? Once it is black, it’s hard to reactivate it. (I was once successfully, but can’t get it to work again)

Any advice?

Same issue for me with the touch, but no solution yet.

for your blackened screen, that might be your screensaver, you can set the activation time on the touchscreen-plugin to zero to deactivate it.

I’m currently struggeling with the hdmi timings…

Hey there,

I’m struggeling with getting my 4" LCD to work properly. I’ve used the Timings from the Waveshare-Wiki, but i’ve got black stripes on the left and on the right (volumio doesn’t seem to use the whole width)
Maybe someone has a solution for this issue.

the Display:
https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/4inch_HDMI_LCD

The Settings in Config.txt:

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_timings=480 0 40 10 80 800 0 13 3 32 0 0 0 60 0 32000000 3
dtoverlay=ads7846,cs=1,penirq=25,penirq_pull=2,speed=50000,keep_vref_on=0,swapxy=0,pmax=255,xohms=150,xmin=200,xmax=3900,ymin=200,ymax=3900
hdmi_drive=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

Research done so far on HDMI Timings:
#<h_active_pixels> = 480
#<h_sync_polarity> = 0
#<h_front_porch> = 40
#<h_sync_pulse> = 10
#<h_back_porch> = 80
#<v_active_lines> = 800
#<v_sync_polarity> = 0
#<v_front_porch> = 13
#<v_sync_pulse> = 3
#<v_back_porch> = 32
#<v_sync_offset_a> = 0
#<v_sync_offset_b> = 0
#<pixel_rep> = 0
#<frame_rate> = 60
# = 0
#<pixel_freq> = 32000000
#<aspect_ratio> = 3

what is your setup?
could it be that you have a diffrent screen? chinees clone? or real waveshare?
please post all the info you have about your screen.
and don’t add a copy of the info of a other screen ( post of 2017 )… only the info of your screen.

@gvolt
if you have some time and he gives you all the info could you look at his screen and help him with it?

Please post a picture of the display showing Volumio’s UI.

Also post the results of

cat /boot/config.txt

and

cat /boot/userconfig.txt

Did you change any other files than “/boot/config.txt” and/or install any other software in order to make the display work? If so, please describe in detail.

1 Like

Hey,

thanks for the replies. I’ve found some time today to work on the system and it seems like some other plugin caused the faulty image.
I had now playing, peppy and other stuff running. I had to go to factory settings to update to the latest version of Volumio and tadaa, everything was fine.