Volumio with Denafrips Terminator DAC?

Volumio Information

Volumio Version: 2.834
Hardware: Magna Mano Ultra Network Music Player
DAC: Denafrips Terminator

Hello – new to volumio as I just received a Magna Mano Ultra running Volumio to connect to my Denafrips Terminator DAC. I use the I2S connection.
Last night I discovered the UI for Volumio and went to set up to optimize the configuration. When I select I2S connection, it asks what DAC I am using and then gives a pull-down menu. My DAC is not listed.

I searched in this community and found another person with my same problem. He mentioned that he was using HifiBerry DAC as “his DAC” and it seemed to run Terminator OK but it did not allow upsampling. I followed his lead and set mine the same way, but am experiencing his same problem. In his post he had asked if Terminator will be added to the list, but I do not believe he received an answer.

If anyone can tell me if Terminator will be added I appreciate it. More important, if anyone can point me to the optimum way to configure terminator in Volumio I very much appreciate it.

Thank you – Rob

1 Like

Hi, I am by no way an expert, but here are my two cents:

• have you tried the ‘Generic I2S’ option in the settings? All the other options are DAC hat modules for the rPI, not external DACs, afaik.
  • for this to work, both your Magna Mano Ultra and the Denafrips Terminator (excellent choice, btw) need to speek the same I2S dialect. Since I2S is not standardized, there are a few different implementations. Consulting your manuals regarding the pins in the HDMI connector should give you some hints.

Hope this helps to clarify your question a little bit.

All the best, Henning

Hello Henning–

Thanks for your reply. I am OK with the connection between the Mano player and DAC, as the Mano outputs PS Audio configuration I2S and the Terminator can chose that via its software.

I have been in contact with Jos at Magna Audio, where the Magna Mano is made. Jos said: “The driver you have to select for the Mano with Volumio is “Hifiberry Digi+ Pro”
Mano is based on this dual clock architecture which can be enabled by selecting this “Hifiberry Digi+ Pro” driver. I2S outputs a signal which is PS Audio compatible and can be used with the Terminator too! (Same signalling for I2S)”

In a later email Jos also said that the Magna Mano player is limited to 192/24 operating in Roon. So I guess this as good as it gets! I may try Ropieee and PcP to see how they might compare. Hopefully this info helps others if they run into the same issue.

1 Like

The ability to choose different I2S configuration on the Denafrips DACs is really cool. You should have years of fun with your setup. In the end, it’s all about the music - so enjoy and celebrate.

And stay healthy!