Volumio with convolver and multichannel sound card

Hi!

I have hopes of getting a project going based on Volumio and DSP/crossover (I’ve read that people did have success with both BruteFir and Folve in this forum). I have currently Volumio running on a Beaglebone Black. I also have a XMOS based multichannel USB sound card - USBStreamer from miniDSP http://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer which have 8ch I2S outputs that connects to my ES9018 based dac.

So, in short, the setup would be Volumio as source/Airport receiver -> BruteFir/Folve for drc and crossover -> multichannel USB-I2S converter -> multichannel DAC.

Unfortunately I have no linux experience (yet) so I’m hoping for some help/advice on this. As a first step I need to get the USBStreamer to work with Volumio. I’ve connected the USBStreamer to BBB, but for some reason it’s not showing up as an Audio Output in Volumio. No sign of it when using aplay:

root@volumio:~# aplay -l **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **** card 0: Black [TI BeagleBone Black], device 0: HDMI nxp-hdmi-hifi-0 [] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

root@volumio:~# aplay -L null Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture) default:CARD=Black TI BeagleBone Black, Default Audio Device sysdefault:CARD=Black TI BeagleBone Black, Default Audio Device

So…any suggestions on how to get this working? :wink:

Best regards,

Mattias

Okay, now the USBStreamer is recognized and is possible to choose as audio output in the web interface. A restart of the BBB was needed…. :blush:

Aplay now gives the following:

oot@volumio:~# aplay -l **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **** card 0: Black [TI BeagleBone Black], device 0: HDMI nxp-hdmi-hifi-0 [] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 1: USBStreamer [USBStreamer], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

root@volumio:~# aplay -L null Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture) default:CARD=Black TI BeagleBone Black, Default Audio Device sysdefault:CARD=Black TI BeagleBone Black, Default Audio Device default:CARD=USBStreamer USBStreamer, USB Audio Default Audio Device sysdefault:CARD=USBStreamer USBStreamer, USB Audio Default Audio Device front:CARD=USBStreamer,DEV=0 USBStreamer, USB Audio Front speakers surround40:CARD=USBStreamer,DEV=0 USBStreamer, USB Audio 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers surround41:CARD=USBStreamer,DEV=0 USBStreamer, USB Audio 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers surround50:CARD=USBStreamer,DEV=0 USBStreamer, USB Audio 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers surround51:CARD=USBStreamer,DEV=0 USBStreamer, USB Audio 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers surround71:CARD=USBStreamer,DEV=0 USBStreamer, USB Audio 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers iec958:CARD=USBStreamer,DEV=0 USBStreamer, USB Audio IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

In the aplay -l message, it seems however as there is only one subdevice; shouldn’t I expect 8 (as in the number of outputs?

Wonder if it is possible in some way to select which ones of the outputs Volumio uses?

Best regards,
Mattias