Volumio Video Playback via HDMI

Hello,

I just started with Volumio, so please accept my apologies if this is already asked. I’ve tried searching about it already but I didn’t see an answer. I’m running a build in my workshop and testing it now.

I just wanted to confirm that the current build of Volumio does not support playing videos over the HDMI port, right? So youtube videos, mp4 videos, etc do not show the video right? Just audio?

It would make total sense. Instead (or in addition to) the “Touch UI” to add the video playback to show full screen. Sure, we might have to run it on a full x86 device to get more power…

Jay

The easiest way to do this is to install the kodi add on. Kodi is very capable Open Source Media Management software that can play most common video codecs and can access different services via installable add-one as well.

Edit: here’s the link to find unpublished add-ons

volumio.org/forum/volumio-plugin … t6251.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 Like

hi where is this located now? Super interested

I’m afraid this is not available for Volumio 3 yet.
See Plugin Migration status
You should ask the author whether he is bringing this to V3.

I have to say this community has been nothing but AMAZING! Thanks for responding so quick!

Update AutoStart plugin dependencies and tested with Volumio 3 by thomasdoerr · Pull Request #649 · volumio/volumio-plugins · GitHub I am still new to all this so I don’t know if this is good to go or no

Sorry to say but the Kodi plugin is a pain. It is far too powerful and complicated for the occasional glance at a music video. Kodi is wonderful for people who stare at series of garbage TV all day long.
Volumio is capable to play the music from an MP4 file in its archive, so why not simply send the video part through HDMI???
In this case, sound quality hasn´t to be highend - volumio plays MP3 files in 120KB/S or less, so there is not a problem with LoFi …