VOLUMIO soundcheck invitation for Hamburg, Germany

This thread is great!
Your effort is remarkable! Congratulations.

So from what I read there is not big (of any) need for an linear PSU with rpi. Is this the final conclusion you made? I was about to get one but now I am sceptical!
I do not use i2s DAC but I use DigiOne!

Keep up the good work!!!

Thanks DomieMic65 :smiley:

You are right with the psu.
our ‘Soundcheck’ guests are may not professionals but we can say there is a hearable difference between most I2S Dac boards.
We also find out, if using a USB DAC a USB recklocker like 3R USB Renaissance or ifi iPurifier2 enhance the soundquality.
We compared many PSU from 10€ (RPI original) to 270€ (sbooster) without a remarkable difference, for our ears, mind you.
I guess, most onboard power rails on dac boards are pretty good.
This does not mean to me a good linear psu is not worth to buy, but it is next to cables, the last i would optimate in my system.
I’m sorry i have no experience to the DigiOne.

1 Like

You are welcome!
I will continue to follow the thread with great interest!
ALLO is in the process of making a new ultra special dac for the rpi the KATANA and I guess that when it comes out you will test it against all the other specials you have there!
I am very interested for the conclusions!
2018 started very promisingly…

All the best!

Hi friends,

this is my next invitation. Soundcheck no.5 is on April 19. 8pm. again in beautifull Hamburg :smiley:

the devices in competition are:
TERRATECHNOS – Terra-BerryDAC 2
mamboberry HD+ DAC with Crystek Clock
mamboberry HD+ DAC with IDT Clock
pi2design 502DAC PRO (yes !)
allo BOSS v. 1.2
allo Piano 2.1 with Kali in dual mono.
SABREberry DAC
odroid hifi shield 2
justboom dac zero
IQaudio DAC pro

all devices connected to allo 3A psu each.

I will try my new 16port HQ audio switch connected to ELAC element ea101eq-g amp.
feel free to join us and write a PM to linux@kompage.de
happy day.

Hi there,

sorry for no publishing information to this soundcheck.
I had only one registration so i decided to come back with a second try later on.
thank you so much for your interest, so stay tuned.
judydudi.

Hallo judydudi,

thanks for sharing your soundcheck results, it’s always a pleasure to read them. Please allow me one short question about your PSU soundcheck from last October: are you aware that Kali has noise filters in the power line? This would explain that you could hear nearly no difference between different PSUs: most of the noise was already cancelled by Kali and never hit the Mamboberry. Looks obvious to me, or am I missing something?

enjoy

I can not wait to read the results of this meeting.

Regards,

Bobby

Hi there! I would be glad to participate the next time at the Soundcheck session…
I have a Raspi 2 (Powered by MeanWell 5V PSU) with Curryman DAC which is Powered seperately by a DIY PSU (Informations here: CLICK . Cramped up in a MiniITX PC-Case.

Would bring it to the next Soundcheck Session! :slight_smile:

Greetings, Ron

Hi Judydudi,

Anyway your group could re-listen to the TerraBerry with the Switch 1 and 2 off so that the AK4137 SRC does not convert the PCM to DSD to determine if the problem is in the SRC or the DAC or (of course) elsewhere?

Thanks,

BMC (U.S.)

ok, let’s do it!

this is the invitation for the next soundcheck in hamburg.
it’s on thursday, June, 28 at 8PM.

TERRATECHNOS – Terra-BerryDAC 2 ( with the Switch 1 and 2 off )
mamboberry HD+ DAC with Crystek Clock and kali
pi2design 502DAC PRO
allo BOSS v. 1.2
SABREberry DAC ( www.muc89.com )
odroid hifi shield 2
justboom dac zero
IQaudio DAC pro

and your setup - if you like :slight_smile:

all played on a Elac Element Series EA101EQ-G AMP, ELAC FS 78 Speaker and allo 5V 3A PSU

feel free to come and join this experince. (it’s free)
please send a message to linux @ kompage.de for register and more information.

Hi Judy

there is a possibility that we can send you a Katana for review, will keep you updated.

1 Like

Hey allo, would be great to have the new Katana in the soundcheck :))

Hi friends
i still have no confirmation that the Katana board will be here in time.
so i decided to shift the soundcheck on July 5. (8pm)
hopefully, everything will be released and arrived then :wink:
everyone here is invited to come.
registered people will be informed about this movement also via pm.
thanks for understanding.

OK, here is a short update:

i’m proud to say that we have one brand new EES 9028 I2S DAC board (with volume control and DoP, more next week)
at the soundcheck and also the allo katana board (ESS9038) could be in time (please press the thumbs)
And a Curryman DAC will be testet too.

TERRATECHNOS – Terra-BerryDAC 2 ( with the Switch 1 and 2 off )
mamboberry HD+ DAC with Crystek Clock and kali
pi2design 502DAC PRO
allo BOSS v. 1.2
SABREberry DAC ( www.muc89.com )
odroid hifi shield 2
justboom dac zero
IQaudio DAC pro

dear music lovers

we had the soundcheck yesterday.
It’s always a pleasure for me to share a moment with other music/electronics technician enthusiast.
Thank you very much for coming. We were five and had a relaxed evening together

I had trouble with my 16 port audio switch (making noise) so i used again the 5 line ports of my amp.

The special of this Soundcheck was, that Michelangelo was so kind to sent us two brand new volumio devices, a prototype called ‘PRIMO’ with a ESS9028 DAC inside, and Tinkerbell S pocket device named ‘Minuetto’.
I was so curious how it would sound. Thank you so much Michelangelo!

I put these devices in a king class group (all in) :
TERRATECHNOS – Terra-BerryDAC 2 ( with Switch 1 and 2 off ) (v.2.413)
mamboberry HD+ DAC with Crystek Clock and allo kali reclocker (v.2.413)
pi2design 502DAC PRO (v.2.146 with Hifiberry DIGI+ PRO driver)
allo Piano 2.1 with Kali in dual mono and 32bit target upsampling. (v.2.413)
volumio Primo(v.2.418)

Of course, we did a blind test.
We especially noticed two devices, one with a confusing high field and less bass, another one with remarkable more details and slightly emphasized bass, a third board was noticed as especially ‘friendly’- detailed and well balanced.
No question, the other two boards where great too, but not that spectacular.
So, the secret was, that the primo was our no.1. the mambo on place 2… place 3 for piano and 502dacpro.

Then, how would be the primo compared to the other great boards:
mamboberry HD+ DAC with IDT Clock (v.2.413)
allo BOSS v. 1.2 (v.2.413)
odroid c2 & hifi shield 2 (v.2.411)
IQaudio DAC pro (v.2.413)
volumio Primo (v.2.413)

We did it again as a blind test. To our surprise, we found the same dac’s as best.
(surprise? yes it’s really difficult to compare and to be awake enough to find the small differences in the dac boards)
first primo, second mambo and boss at place three (edit: iqaudio on 4. odroid on 5.).
The primo is build in a black steel case, and was equipped with a RPI3+
(UPDATE: mi said a tinkerbell S instead the RPI is planned in future and would be sold only as a comlete device).
Hardware volume control and DoP. @michelangelo this plug and play solution is great and may could use from your grandma :wink:

Cable and psu (allo 5v3a) of all devices where the same.

The advantage of the ‘Minuetto’ the Tinkerbell S, is the size (a very small black plastic case), the power compared to a RPI (better alternative for using as USB DAC) and a quite good build in analog output.
The power consumtion was about 3 Watt approx while playing.

I was very happy to welcome marina as one of our guests yesterday. she did some beautiful dac board jewellery for me.
She does have her own business in making jewellery out of used electronic parts.

So, we are awaiting for the katana board, that we could examine it at the next soundcheck.
Thank you.
Living in a box.jpg
primo1.jpg
transformator1.jpg

Surprised that Terra-BerryDAC 2 not in first 3 position

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 MI MAX 發送

Hi there!

I also participated at the Sound Check and was pleasantly surprised that there are recognizable differences between the DACs.

I was also surprised that at the second hearing, after shuffeling the order of the DACs the same DACs in the first round were also recognized as the best sounding in the second round.

We had left the two DACs which sounded in our opinion the best in the first round playing also in the second round with 3 new contestants.
I was buffled after hearing the DACs in the second round that the two ones from the first round were also in the second round distinguished from all the other contestants.

The Mamboberry was well balanced and it sounded really good. And the volumio primo delivered a sound stage on its own. It sounded more “open” and the instruments and voices were better seperated from eachother. Very interesting and enjoyable.

But to my silliness I forgot to bring my CurryMan DAC Music Player (RPI2 , dedicated diy PSU for DAC and 5V Meanwell PSU for RPI,). Jens will organize another Soundcheck and then I will not forget bringing my Music Player… :slight_smile:

Thanks to Jens and all those who provided the DACs for testing.
Greetings Ron

So Allo Boss 1.2 vs Mamboberry HD DAC+ for DIY newbie ? :wink:
Is there any chance that this tall case without sides can be compatible with height of Mambo HD DAC+ ?
allo.com/sparky/acrylic-cas … uator.html

Hi Nuke142

i can’t say if the allo case will be compatible with the mambo hd.
for the mambo i have this case:
modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/ca … case-clear
you have enlarge the hole for dc connector and may use 4 washers for better RCA hole fitting.

Hello,

I can send the ApplePi DAC and ApplePi Volume-Clocker for evaluation as well. what is the time frame?

Let me know.

Regards;
Leo