VOLUMIO soundcheck invitation for Hamburg, Germany

Thank you for your response. Actually I am quite amazed by the price difference too. Aroio DAC sells for 69€ and TauDAC is 380€… also Terraberry DAC is 240€… and even if they sound similar Aroio DAC looks like a killer… or am I looking to a wrong price for Aroio? :slight_smile::):slight_smile:

The TauDAC-DM101 needs the TauOUT-TP101 output stage and an additional 9V psu.
TB3 is 263.20 € including shipping plus customs!
Aroio is 77€ incl. shipping.
Yes, Aroio seems to be very interesting :wink:
But keep in mind - your setup matters too and can change the order of best a bit…

Actually if it beats my current Allo Boss 1.2 it is enough satisfaction from my side :slight_smile::):slight_smile:

Hello,

Greetings from Honduras,

First I want to thank Judydudi for this great project (and thread) evaluating the sound quality of the different DAC boards. I have read through all 25 pages of the thread and enjoyed every post!

I have been left eager for more of this. Lets hope that when the world gets back to normal you guys and gals can get back on it!

I really hope you have a chance in the future to test the different amp boards available, like the hifiberry amp2, amp zero, IQ Audio digiamp + etc.

I heard another poster suggesting you se how the pi hats hold up against a “world class” audiophile dac. I think thats a great idea! If your could get a hold of something like the PS Audio direct steam dac, or other dacs in that league, it would be fantastic. Imagine the uproar if a sub $200 dollar pi dac setup get close to an 8,000 dollar dac!

I know many people suggest you do this or do that, and some even feel like they can tell you that you ought to do you experiment a different. I say, you do what YOU think is best and what you enjoy the most. You have been doing great.

I myself own several of the dacs you have tested, (iq audio dac +, justboom zero, phat dac), and I can tell you all of them have amazed me with their sound quality.

Hope to hear more from this.

Cheers,
Abel

Hello Abel,

thank you so much for your kind words…
words like that keep my fire more burning :wink:

It’s a good idea to ask my dealer to lent my a PS Audio DirectStream DAC or similar for a future soundcheck.
I still remember how surprised we were in 2017 that the I2S DAC’s was better than the Marantz CD player …

I own most rpi amp boards on the market.
however, the test setup is different and each amp has different performance values ​​and is therefore more difficult to compare.

i guess, next soundcheck could happen end of may…
stay tuned and healthy, j.

I am happy to announce the invitation for next Soundcheck on June 4th, 8pm.
This seems to be the first possible date for this event again.
Everyone is invited to come to Hamburg for this unique volumio event.
So, it’s free to come. just write an email to linux @ kompage.de to register and getting more information…

I like to compare these devices:

01 Volumio: ‘Primo’ (on Tinkerboard S)
02 allo: Katana THD
03 Orchard Audio: PecanPi DAC streamer
04 abacus: AroioDac
05 OSA electronics: DACBerry pro+
06 Collybia: Mamboberry Precision DAC+
07 Nanomesher: Nanosound DAC2
08 IQaudio:PI DAC PRO

Soundsystem: cambridge audio 740A amp, ELAC loudspeaker (FS78&BS244.3)
PSU: Using OSA ULPS1225A quad-ulps1225a-ultra-low-noise-lps-t13226.html
Lastest Volumio Version on RPI3b+ withEMTEC microSD (32GB speedin pro)

There is still an issue with the TB3. terraberry-dac3-driver-t14066.html
Hope this is fixed some time that this can be compared harmless. :wink:

Soundcheck is an independent and non profit association of HI-FI enthusiasts, gathering together to evaluate with double-blind methodology several Audio equipments. (typically I2S hats for Raspberry PI)
Many thanks to all supporters, to make this soundcheck as great as it is!
(Orchardaudio, allo, collybia, osa, nanomesher and last but not least volumio)

Hi Judydudi,

Has the Hamburg Soundcheck ever done a double-blind evaluation of the effects of simple switching power supplies vs linear power supplies? Given prevailing audiophile beliefs about the affect of LPS’s on sound quality it seems that would be a very interesting test. You could even throw a lithium battery-based power pack into the test as well.

Best,
usery

Hi usery
thank you very much for your interrest in our tests.
yes, we did a comparision with psu’s. like sbooster, ifiipower, allo, thel audio, rpi original psu,
i would like to say - most people - like us - would not hear any difference with any psu, because the on board power rail cleaning is doing there job fine. though: we found out, on allo katana it is very recommend to use a high end psu.
best, judydudi

EDIT: I switched over to use high end power supplies in my I2S DAC soundcheck to be sure to get out the most SQ of every board.

Hi volumio lovers,
on thursday we are doing the next soundcheck.
i’m glad, 5 guest are registered since now -
so we can guarantee the required distance through the event.

I created the long overdue playlist
Tidal Playlist 12. volumio Soundcheck, Hamburg

since the mamboberry has not yet arrived yet, I’ll play the TB3.

It will definitely be an interesting evening!
Thanks, judydudi

Yeah - we did it!
Four guest did come. 2 female, 2 male. Very interesting.
we got the impression, that this makes a difference. The womens choose mamboberry as first followed by aroio and Katana.
They said mamboberry is great in highs and lows, clear sound - the best overall choice.
The boys set pecan pi and primo as fist place, the details, 3D sourrounding experince, bass and high where very impressed. Nanosound was placed on second place.

We had Volumio: ‘Primo’ (on Tinkerboard S), allo: Katana THD , Orchard Audio: PecanPi DAC streamer, abacus: AroioDac , OSA electronics: DACBerry pro+ . Collybia: Mamboberry HD DAC+ v2 crystek, Nanomesher: Nanosound DAC2, IQaudio:PI DAC PRO All with volumio 2.777

Thanks to to all guest for coming and sharing their impressions. It’s always a very interesting discussion after hearing all these devices.
Many thanks to all supporters.
Thank you.

1 Like

Take a look at this playlist that I have assembled, maybe you can use something for your next soundcheck…

I have one for Qobuz also…
https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/3288137

Hi Leo,
many thanks for sharing your music suggestion.
i had time today to hear the playlist. Nice taste! I like Differently, La La Habanera, Paint it Black…
i will put some tracks in my next soundcheck :wink:
judydudi

2 Likes

Hi volumio friends,

next soundcheck is in preparation.
And this is the great news:
We might have a new and promising candidate.
audiophonics.fr lends me a dual ES9038Q2M DAC board !
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-and-interfaces-for-raspberry-pi/audiophonics-evo-sabre-balanced-dac-2x-es9038q2m-usb-rpi-spdif-bt-xlr-rca-p-14562.html
Hope to get it work with volumio. :slight_smile:
should run at least with the buster version?

1 Like

Hi volumio music lovers!

The soundcheck is the best place to see in real and hear all the best I²S DAC Boards around.

So, this is the invitation for next Soundcheck on August, 6, 8pm.

Everyone is invited to come to Hamburg for this unique volumio event.
So, it’s free to come. just write an email to linux @ kompage.de to register and getting more information…

I like to compare these devices:
01 Orchard Audio: PecanPi DAC streamer PSU: OSA ULPS1225b
02 Audiophonics: EVO-SABRE 2x9038 PSU: iFi IpowerX 9V
03 abacus: AroioDac with Isolator PSU: NT-25HQ-09
04 Collybia: Mamboberry Precision DAC+ PSU: Collybia
05 OSA electronics: DACBerry pro+ with Isolator PSU: OSA ULPS1225a
06 allo: Piano 2.1 with kali PSU: NT-25HQ-09
07 Nanomesher: Nanosound DAC2 PSU: OSA ULPS1225a
08 Volumio: ‘Primo’ (on Tinkerboard S) PSU: OSA ULPS1225a

Soundsystem: cambridge audio 740A amp,
(practically same PCB like cambridge 651W amp, plus preamp option)
The amp is also modified for better SQ from Mr. Horwege
ELAC loudspeaker (2xFS78&2xBS244.3)
8 port line switch from dodocus
Lastest Volumio Version on RPI3b+

Soundcheck is an independent and non profit association of HI-FI enthusiasts, gathering together to evaluate with double-blind methodology several Audio equipments. (typically I2S hats for Raspberry PI)
(Orchardaudio, allo, collybia, osa, nanomesher, audiophonics and last but not least volumio)

4 Likes

I forgot to say that you also have the opportunity to see the new volumio T-Shirt! :wink:

Could come but maybe next time around, will wait for the result as I find them really interesting. keep it up :wink:

hey diamonddust. Thanks and welcome to the volumio forum.
You missed somthing yesterday :wink:

Hey music lovers

yeah, we did the soundcheck yesterday. :slight_smile:

10 listeners aged from 17 to 78 did find the way to this unique volumio soundcheck.

Some of them were at soundcheck before. So we could say that all devices are more close to each other.

You can’t go really wrong with one of these devies! Each device does have a special purpose.

nanosound dac for example is very tricky. with this one you can add an OLED and this works like a charme, updates will work, because this is made via plugin… additional amp is also avaible…

Dacberrypro+ does have a dedicated Headpone amp/Jack and primo does have analog and digital output options…

So after hearing the playlist we start the discussion. this is always very interesting.

There was no ‘one’ winner.
We decided to put out the devices wich no one had as number one or two.

So Pecan Pi, Aroio, Mamboberry and evo sabre were votet for final round.
We find , that these were very, very closed to each other.

At this point some loved more the ESS boards, some of us more the TI boards.
Aroio is very precise, sometimes to technical so pecan pi was more enjayable.
pecan pi is very detailed and very present. one said this presence is exhausting.

This is the point going to ESS. When some are more loving this presence others like to have a bit more distance to the soundtheatre.

This was our Playlist yesterday:
https://listen.tidal.com/playlist/6d152976-5090-4990-9671-9c3ed907cb10
All files in different formats (mp3,flac up to 192)

(Orchardaudio, allo, collybia, osa, nanomesher, audiophonics and last but not least volumio)

1 Like

HI everyone!

We have just released our new NanoSound ONE Case and NanoSound DAC 2s. NanoSound ONE is more designed for consumer market who want a no fuss solution with a solid alumimium and a nice heat sink

NanoSound DAC2s is an improvements over DAC2 with better capacitor and 2oz PCB.

Which one do you want to test with your next sound check? :slight_smile:
Also for those who loves listening CD , dont forget to check our free NanoSound CD software for volumio which we have made lots of improvements.

https://nanomesher.com/store/NanoSound-ONE-Hi-Fi-DAC-Case-for-Raspberry-Pi-p218569036

https://nanomesher.com/nanosound-dac-2s-an-evolution-of-our-most-popular-dac/