Volumio Rivo first impressions

Premium is already enabled, no need to do anything. You already have all premium features.

Just to understand, you don’t like the White blinking LED inside?

I logged into MyVolumio but all I had before was the free level.
It wants me to subscribe to the premium level.

No, I don’t like the flashing light thru the crack.
I sit at the perfect angle to see it thru the crack in front panel.

1 Like

You mean the white LED?

Where does it ask to do so? Are you on software’s latest version? (in previous versions there was a bug on credits, that required you Premium, but that has been fixed)

Will our previous subscriptions be automatically be stopped? Yes the white LED inside. I’ve responded to Darmur.

1 Like

White or blue LED flashing inside on the right side of the box.

Latest version of software was installed when I checked after first setup.
To gain access to the plugins, I had to log into MyVolumio account.
Then it asks if I want to subscribe to Premium and/or try free for 15 days.

I was assuming there were more features/plugins if I was premium (which I thought was standard with RIVO) ?

The only plugins I may use were not there anymore but perhaps they do not yet exist in version 3.xx ?
Would like to to see Tune in radio, Pandora and the EQ plugins bu they are not in the list.

Is there a list of current plugins on your web site or in this forum ?

1 Like

Still waiting on mine, UPS is making a real mess of the delivery here in NL… :sleepy:

1 Like

you can proceed with a free account, all the premium features (bluetooth, multiroom, tidal, qobuz, etc.) will be unlocked anyhow.

tune-in has been embedded in Volumio since long time, you don’t need an external plugin, just browse the web-radio section

pandora plugin is available, but still in beta. we will test it internally, if it will pass our test we will release as stable version.

EQ is definitely available, you can install FusionDSP

for the white/blue flashing LED, please contact me privately

1 Like

I did some reading here on this forum and I saw the above answers about EQ and tune in.
Have no idea how to enable test mode to install Pandora ?
I have never seen any menu with that.

As for the blinking light, I already fixed by placing a barrier between the SBC board etc.
I don’t see it anymore but not recommended for those not as skilled as myself.

This was the second time I had to remove the cover, the first was to tighten the loose SMA connector for one of the WiFi antennas.
You really should have a D-hole cutout in the back panel so these connectors don’t spin.

Lastly, I see that the coax Spdif output return is grounded.
At first I thought it was just touching the rear panel but no it is grounded.
The AES/EBU balanced ground pin was isolated.
I think I saw in the you tube video the claim that these digital outputs had galvanic isolation.
My DAC is isolated at the coax input so not a big deal.
Others may want to avoid ground loops etc.

let me know about the test mode since Pandora was high on my list…

2 Likes

regarding the galvanic isolation of the SPDIF output, there is a dedicated GND plane for the output stage. The negative pin of the RCA connector is connected to that plane via a 0Ohm resistor.

The plane dedicated to SPDIF/AES-EBU output is not directly connected to the other GND planes of the system, there is some RF filtering in between.

2 Likes

Mine arrived yesterday on Belgium! Only listened to it briefly yesterday evening but so far very impressed with the sound quality.

I succeeded in adding the nas as a source but it’s not very usable , extremely slow and causes the app to crash. Working with upnp works a lot better.

2 Likes

I’m @work at the moment, but my girlfriend just let me know that she had a suprise visit from UPS. Now the afternoon in office will feel like ages… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Well, I have it setup and up and running in no time. First impressions are ok.

But I got it playing for 5 minutes and now the Rivo refuses to stream to Spotify. Restarting phone and Rivo, multiple times, it all doesn’t seem to solve the issue… Spotify app either does not find the Rivo as player or it finds the Rivo but cannot connect to play. It’s very inconsistent.

Reminds me of my former streamer. They got it fixed, but it took them ages. So this doesn’t make me happy… :frowning:

Edit:

Does anybody know something about this issue? Maybe it’s just me…

And yes, the Rivo is up to date and the Spotify plugin is installed.

1 Like

Try to stream from another source z.B. Radio Paradise, stop it and try again Spotify. Just to make sure that it is not a network problem.

2 Likes

It’s not my network, that’s a very stable network, all wired. Unfortunately it is the Rivo. Once there is a connection, it works flawlessly and keeps working. But if I change a setting in the Volumio app for example, bam, gone connection and it can take up to 30 minutes till I get it working again. Not always, but it happens.

But that issue aside, now regarding the sound… I’m pretty happy with it! As with my former streamer, Spotify sounds great. I haven’t compared it to the other high res streaming services yet, but I assume it will end up the same as before, a lot less… And yes, I mean that :slight_smile:

I bought a Farad Super3 LPS to go along with it, seems like a great combination so far. It definitely needs some more time to settle, so no real conclusions yet.

Hi Huub,
this sounds like something with the power supply from the Rivo is wrong. Are you using the original one or do you have already the Farad Super 3?
Cheers
Christian

2 Likes

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your input. Initially I used the original SMPS, but pretty soon I switched to the Farad Super3.

I should maybe clarify that I’m only talking about the streaming connection of Spotify towards the Rivo. The Volumio app can always connect to the Rivo, no issues there. Can it be a power supply issue then?

In the meantime I tried to restart the Rivo at times to see if I was able to reconnect with Spotify again. It does not work flawless, quite buggy still. It often takes multiple re-starts of the Spotify app, but sometimes I even give up and try it again later. And then it could work in one go, or not… I haven’t noticed a pattern here yet.

It goes like this: I open up Spotify, but it can’t find the Rivo as playing device. Restart of Spotify, try again. Once I see the Rivo in the list of streaming devices in Spotify I try to connect to it, but often it doesn’t succeed. Then the Rivo tends to disappear from the list in Spotify. Then the only thing I can is try a re-start of the Spotify app again, until the Rivo shows up in the list again. And mostly this process needs to be repeated several times before the connection is established. Once it has a connection, it keeps working though.

My Chromecast is always in the list and can be connected to instantly, so the network is not the problem.

1 Like

@Darmur

Any idea?

This is unfortunately an issue with the Spotify plugin, so it’s not directly related to Rivo.

The Spotify plugin needs some rework to work reliably, unfortunately we cannot estimate an ETA on when that will happen.

1 Like

with those additional information, I think it’s not a problem of the power supply, but related to the Spotify plugin itself. We know it requires improvements, because it’s not 100% reliable in all the cases.

1 Like

Ok, that’s clear then. It seems not to be the LPS indeed. Let’s hope this issue can be fixed in due time, I’ll have to be a bit patient I suppose.

Still enjoying the sound a lot!