Volumio Rivo first impressions

You’re absolutely right, both of them are part of the Rivo internal circuit

The M33 has 3 analog inputs so you can use the Primo with it, even if that’s not ‘ideal’ - I was looking for an A/B test of Primo (including built in DAC) vs Rivo with the M33 DAC. Maybe that will come.

The point I am less happy about is that Rivo users get a lot of features in the package that Primo users need to pay for via subscription.

I bought the Hifi-edition of the Primo, and there a lifetime subscription is included like with the Rivo. With the Primo you had a choice of this, or the Community-edition where you need the subscription.

Hi Mike !
The analog inputs are okay at the M33. I still prefer my Audionet CD player using the analog XLR input instead of the digital input. Most of the time I am using the internal BluOS module. Since an update I think 8 months ago the sound with the internal modul has become significant better. So I am okay with it. Maybe I can do the test for you next weekend.
Cheers
Christian

Hi…Last Tuesday, I got the Rivo. He looks great!.

I have a question:
When I hear a album and I go to „Information for music and interpret“ my app gives following information:
„This function is only for Volumio premium members available“.

Regarding my information with the purchase of the Rivo I should be a premium member.
Do I have to install anything?

Perhaps it is important to mention, that I have two Raspberrys with a free Volumio account running. With my PRIMO, all devices run with the premium plan.

2 Likes

This is a bug that will be fixed in an upcoming release. Rivo includes all the premium features without the need for a subscription.

Thank you very much! Good information.

The Rivo sounds clean , but a still a little cool with my Luxman DAC. I think, he needs some time to burn in?

No I don’t think so. Best result you will get with an extra power supply (f.e. Keces) if you find still it’s not warm enough you might get an Silent Angle switch .
Cheers
Christian

At Lyravox I have tried the Revo in comparison to the Rhein from Silent Angle and to my ears and also the guys from Lyravox agreed it was the better sounding source. Ok as mentioned before with an extra Power supply and the silent Angle Switch added to the Rivo (like to the Rhein) but in such a System the Rivo is really a high End Streamer!
Cheers
Christian

2 Likes

I have an Allo Shanti LPS and it helps!!!
Kind regards
Michael

2 Likes

Still have the problem with the wireless connection. After a few secounds the wireless connection dissapears. shall I make a factory reset or wait for the next update?
Cheers
Christian

I found the reason for the problem with Wifi and CD playback. no software problem it was the original power supply. I have just changed the plug from a good Raspi power supply and now everythin is working. with the original one cd playback is not working and wireless connection is not stable. It seems to be to weak or it’s broken?.
Cheers Christian

1 Like

Hi Christian,

I suspect it could be broken, I replied to your PM to have it checked

So I done the test. Main diffrence is dynamic. More attak and timing with the rivo. If you change direkt between both the primo sound a bit weary. The M33 is already a bit weary so I think it is not a idle combination. But now the primo is the source for an SMSL DA 8s amp powering some Teufel speakers and that ist better than the Nanosound1 that was there before.
Cheers
Christian

1 Like

Thanks for this. I might try the Primo as pre-amp into monoblocks instead of the integrated I use ATM.

I think the volume control of the Primo is not fine enough. So I would not give it the job of a preamp.
Cheers
Christian

2 Likes

A few days ago I took my Rivo to Lyravox in Hamburg. And the Rivo was the source for the Lyravox Karlotta. Simply coaxial digital into the back of Karlotta. The uys from Lyravox were a bit sceptical because they had streamer and Musikserver in a complete diffrent pricerange. F.e. Silent angle Rhein Antiodes …
The Rivo was connected to a silent Angle Network switch and a HD Plex power suppy. Don’t ask me about the cables, no idea.
I was totally blown away from the performance of the Karlotta and I have to say that it was one of the best sound experience I had ever had. But Jens and Sasha from Lyravox were very impressed by the sound quality of the Rivo. Jens said the sound of the Rivo reminds him of a 7000 Euro Grimm Streamer. So thanks to the Rivo we had a 2 hour music session and all of us enjoyed it.
I mean it was really and outstanding setup. I had already at home the feeling that the Rivo is an exellent piece of HiFi. But for me this session at Lyravox has proofed that the Rivo is a serious high end streamer for a very good price. Thank you Volumio!
Cheers
Christian

2 Likes

Hello Christian,
Many thanks for your impressions. I assume you controlled volume with the Lyravox remote. Could you compare this to the volume control on Rivo/Volumio?

Thank you and best regards
Stephan

Hi Stephan!
As far as I know you can’t control the Volume with the Rivo.

but I can check it at the weekend.
Cheers
Christian

Moin Christian,
FYI
I get the following information from Monica@volumio in July:
“Regarding your questions, yes there is digital volume control, so the volume can be controlled digitally”.

If it doesn’t make you too many circumstances, I would be grateful for a short test.

Thx Stephan

1 Like