Volumio Rivo first impressions

How can I write to you if when filling out the field “On which device do you run volumio”, there is no suitable device of mine. And this field is mandatory, so I can’t write to you.

just fill in Premium and select Primo.

You can add in the comment section, it’s regarding the Rivo

1 Like

Please tell me which version number to write in the field when filling in?

Go to system there you find the SW version,

Understood, thanks.

1 Like

Hello everyone, I managed to connect rivo after all, the first impressions are very good, the sound is dense, the bass has increased, the micro-nuances are clearly audible.compared with a laptop connected to dac lks 002 on 2x sabre 9018, the only problem is that rivo plays files up to dsd 64 when the laptop played dsd 128-256.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I’ve just bought the Volumio Rivo.

The Rivo can see all my own files that I’ve transferred to a SanDisk 1TB SD Card and inserted into the Rivo, but it can’t play them.

I get the error message:" Failed to decode [file name]. Failed to open [file name]. Transport endpoint is not connected."

My Rivo is playing through its AES/EBU output directly to my Genelec monitors. No DAC involved, and no external storage. I have named the SD Card “issd”

I don’t yet have Ethernet close to my sound system, so for the moment, the unit is on wifi.
I’ve rebooted the unit a number of times and also rebooted the router.

Not being able to play my music is the most prominent of the multitude of bugs this unit has. Basically, the Spotify plug-in works; everything else sometimes freezes, sometimes doesn’t; sometimes plays, sometimes doesn’t; sometimes shows on the screen, sometimes doesn’t.

I’ll have to ask you about them later. First things first. How do I play my files on this device?

Thank you, everybody

1 Like

In this case use the dedicated support from Volumio and create a Support Ticket, that will be faster than relying on the community forum.

1 Like

Thank you. Now, I’ve also done what you suggested.

But I have to say, I LOVE this forum. So many nice people dedicated to helping each other. The knowledge here and the speed of the answers are amazing. :smiley:

1 Like

Did you label the SD card as “issd”?

2 Likes

Yes

I’ve now used the USB output on the Rivo - leading to my Beverly Audio Designs Alpha USB unit. This changes nothing regarding playing files from the SD Card. I get the same error message; the issue seems to be unrelated to what output I choose.

(But now, I see images and info on the artists in my SD Card, and the Volumio Spotify plug-in works much better. Pretty neat. And the unit hasn’t frozen yet. Except for playback of my files, everything has evolved overnight, without me doing anything … or perhaps because I’ve chosen a different output method.)

sorry to hear about your problems, a few questions for you

1. is the SD-card an original one? there are plenty of fake SD-cards sold for a very cheap price, where the real size is way lower than the declared one. They are hacked to show the fake size when connected, when you keep adding files the old ones are silently overwritten

2. could you please try with another SD-card?

3. could you please give some details about the file that gives you this error?

So why would I want a Rivo over a Primo? Technically the Rivo does less than the Primo but costs more. What am I missing? Full disclosure I’m completely new to streaming audio.

The Rivo is a great streamer to couple with a great DAC. The Primo is a good streamer with a good dac build in. If you want both in once and are on some kind of budget you’d be better off with the Primo. if you think you’ll gonna upgrade soon after you’d be better of with the Rivo, but you need to have or to buy an external dac in order to use the Rivo

I understand the Rivo requires a DAC. I guess what I’m really asking is why is the Primo less when I will potentially do more?

Primo and Rivo are products for different audience

Primo targets people that want to make use of the excellent DAC onboard, with fine-tuned OPAMP output stage with a novel topology, designed from scratch (you won’t find it on any other streamer). You can connect your power amplifier to the analog output of Primo (balanced or unbalanced) and enjoy your music.

Rivo targets people that already have or want to use an external DAC, feeding it with high-quality digital signals. Bits are bits, but the accurate timing when you send them makes the difference between an excellent product, a good product and a bad one. On Rivo all the digital outputs (USB dedicated to a DAC, SPDIF and AES/EBU) have been designed to provide the best digital signal possible to your external DAC.

Primo does have SPDIF and USB ports too. They work fine and they are good, but not as good as the ones on Rivo, because they lack the additional circuits implemented on Rivo to improve the digital signal quality as much as possible. To summarize, the digital outputs on Primo are good, on Rivo are excellent.

The component used on Rivo to provide a better digital signal quality are more expensive than the components used on Primo to provide an excellent analog signal, this is why Rivo costs more than Primo. Another reason is because Rivo required more R&D effort than Primo, which has also an impact on costs

To summarize:

• On Primo, the optimizations are done on the analog path only
  • On Rivo, the optimizations are done in three signal paths: USB, SPDIF and AES/EBU

I hope this explains the different prices of the two products :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Excellent explanation Darmur!

1 Like

I’ve written about my Volumio Rivo in this thread and received excellent advice.

If you happen to be curious about how my Volumio Rivo experience turned out, I write about it here.

The Rivo looks like a great deal!

I am currently using a Primo v1 in bridge mode connected to a Merason Frerot DAC with good (Amanero) USB implementation. I read in this topic that Rivo sounded better than Primo but Primo was used via S/PDIF. I compared Primo coax and USB connection and over USB SQ is is much better.

So after this intro here is my question: will Rivo via USB will be an audible improvement over Primo v1 via USB?

I also read in this topic about Allo Nirvana as a possible upgrade for the PSU. Can I use Allo Nirvana with Primo v1 as well? Nirvana is rated only 5V/2.8A while stock PSU is 5V/3A. So perhaps Nirvana is underpowered?

Thanks.

2 Likes